1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

my baby hardly sleeps throughout the day

Discussion in 'Infants' started by samairasmom, Jul 19, 2010.

1. samairasmom

samairasmom New IL'ite

hi , please help ladies, my dd is six months old and lately she hardly sleps throughout the day. i mean i am a working mom ans we sleep at around 12pm . she sleeps with me while feeding and is asleep throughout the noght . but during the day she does not sleep at all not even after her meals or after bath , maybe once or twice for only 15minutes or so . is it normal . plz advicee

2. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

So how many hours does she sleep in total? Naps are important and LO's really need them for healthy brain development..At 6 months the total sleep requirement should be atleast around 12-13 hrs (including naps and bedtime). At 6 months the maximum wakeful period during day should not be more than 2.5-3 hrs..Otherwsie they will get overtired...Some babies require less sleep but not so less to the point that she is not taking naps..

Who is taking care of her during the day? Are they making sure that they are not missing your LO's sleep signs? Is there too much noise during the day? For eg. Is the TV on ? Is this sleep situation something new? Is she getting ready to learn any new skill? Like crawling, sitting etc?

Because sleep does get affected when they are getting ready to reach a milestone or a growth spurt or teething.. If you started work recently then she might be missing you..

Also, why is her bedtime so late?? 12 AM?? Can't you make her sleep early? Because babies sleep better if they sleep longer..Babies are completely opposite to adults...For them sleep begets sleep...The more they sleep the better it is..

Also, any nap less than 30 minutes is not considered a nap at all...I feel that she is getting overtired..Overtired babies do not sleep well...

Post your situation in more detail then may be some of us can give you some tips to improve her sleep pattern..

3. enlightened

enlightened Bronze IL'ite

I second mridusudha on this.Overtired babies do not sleep well.Sleep for sure is vital for their development.Infants within a year of age should sleep for 9-11 hours in the night and between 2-3 hours during the day(includes all their naps).
    Make sure your house isnt all that noisy when your LO is drowsy.Give her a nice massage and bath that might help her sleep for at least 30 minutes.
    Its good if you post the details.My first used to nap for 15-20 min at a time and this he would do every 2 hours during the day.
    My second takes 2-3 naps each lasting for 30-45 min during the day.

Deepa.

4. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Samira,
    By 6 months, the baby must havebeen set for biological clock. I had this problem till my DS was 3 months, slowly he used to sleep and there was no problem after his 4th month and used to sleep throughout the night except for couple of feeds every 2 hours.

How do you know that she is not sleepign throughout the night???Are you also asleep with her???
    The environment and surroundings do really matter. Just have a bedlight in a different color and shape in your room.....so a dim light would help and baby will slowly understand that its her sleeping time and she will have fun too by looking at that colorful light.

Why dont you introduce soothing lullables, or very very light music so that she can just listen them and go to sleep.

5. samairasmom

samairasmom New IL'ite

thanks for your advice girls. actually i stay in aj oint family and am working in a bpo with UK shifts . this explains why i make her sleep at 12am as i reach home at around 11pm . my mom- in -law is helpful but my LO demands constant attention and perfect ambience like no noise and no light in room. This gets difficult during the day as they are not as particular as I am . I will try to follow ur tips on my off days. thanks