1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My All - Knowing Friend And Me

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Jul 11, 2021.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

MY ALL-KNOWING FRIEND AND ME

Please don't take me wrong. By all-knowing, I do not mean the Almighty. I mean a friend of mine who has a knack for raising questions and seeking answers for them. Yesterday night at about 10 pm he arrived without any notice as usual. Well, friends need not give notice but then there is some etiquette. I fear him as much as I respect him. Fear, because he can drop in any time and respect because as I said he is all-knowing.

To cut it short, he knocked at the door and called me by name and I had no option but to open the door. Before I could offer him a seat he shot – do you know what is the space between the eyebrows is called? I said I dunno. He said –what is the metallic or plastic end of the shoelaces is called? I said I dunno. He asked –what is the cry of a newborn is called? I said –cry. He said wrong! He asked what is the dot on ( i ) or a ( j ) is called. I said –dot. He said wrong. He asked many such questions and I had no answers. He castigated me for my lack of knowledge even though I call myself an educated person. I offered him a cup of tea in the meanwhile, anyway.

Long back, traveling in a Mini Bus in Kolkata the school girls sitting on the row before me were chatting. One of them said it is not at all necessary to know everything. For example, if we want to know the trains between Kolkata and Delhi we can find out from the Railway Time table or inquiry when we go. No use knowing things that we do not or may not need.

She had a point. It's better to know what is essential. As it is becoming tough to pass the exams, why increase the load?

But it was different with this all-knowing friend of mine. Every time he met me he made me feel inferior. There was so much to know and so little I know. I thought enough is enough and I must confront him in one of these days.

He turned up one evening and as usual, asked what the oldest language in the world is? For a change it is Tamil but I said Mother's tongue. As expected he said wrong. I countered-no, I am right. The oldest language cannot be other than the mother tongue. The first mother on this planet talked to her firstborn in a language that no one knew but the child understood. It has continued since then. The mother and child speak in a language that is oldest, eternal, and universal. How can any other language claim that position?

He has not visited me again since then. Now, what is my fault?

Amica likes this.

2. RatnaMalliswari

RatnaMalliswari Gold IL'ite

Hi Sir,
    I read your post quite different, always it need not be our fault if other side people reject.
    I read your profile,you have your own world, gathering information to lead your life and fulfilling is more important than knowing everything around world.
    If anything we learn it should be helpful to self and people around us.
    Some people have interest to know everything it's their job,but what I feel is,if we know something share it so that other person may know about it.
    Don't feel inferior,filter it,and take information which you want it,if it is important share with others.
    Next time when he come,you don't put yourself down.Let him ask questions,you don't think about it,in reverse you ask him same,if we give answers know it.
    Some people feel happy by putting us down,we should not fall into it.
    Show him your hospitality, with out any question mark of unknown answers.
    Regards
    Ratna

HariLakhera and messedup like this.
  3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Hari Sir,

Let us know only what we are interested in learning. Why fill our head with every square milimeters of our memories with so much information we never use in our lives? That is why we have dictionaries, encyclopedias, world maps, libraries, etc. You have done nothing wrong and your answer is correct. If your friend shows up again ask the following questions:

What is common in the following words:

Lock-Piano
    Ship-Card
    Tree-Car
    School-Eye
    Pillow-Court
    River-Money
    Bed-Paper
    Army-Water
    Tennis-Noise
    Smoker-Plumber

Alternatively, ask your friend to read this poem and tell whether the person quoted in this poem is ugly or not. This is a poem written by Abdullah Shoaib:

I’m very ugly

So don’t try to convince me that

I am a very beautiful person

Because at the end of the day

I hate myself in every single way

And I’m not going to lie to myself by saying

There is beauty inside of me that matters

So rest assured I will remind myself

That I am a worthless, terrible person

And nothing you say will make me believe

I still deserve love

Because no matter what

I am not good enough to be loved

And I am in no position to believe that

Beauty does exist within me

Because whenever I look in the mirror I always think

Am I as ugly as people say?

When he answers the person is very ugly, you ask him to read the poem from the bottom to the top.

HariLakhera likes this.
  4. HariLakhera

Thanks for your feedback, Mam. It is more fun with subtle humor, not to be taken so seriously. Some people are in the habit of showing off, be it their wealth or knowledge. It is a satire on such people. It is always good to seek information we need from where ever we can. This is how world moves.
    Your suggestions are taken with thanks.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
    RatnaMalliswari likes this.
  5. HariLakhera

Dear Shri Viswa,
    Thanks. Before I ask him, I will have to find out what those words mean. Haha.
    In fact, it is just fiction. I have no such friend. These days of WhatsApp, I do get so many forwards with such worldly knowledge. That is what prompted this post.
    I fully agree with the fact that there is so much information around we can afford to ignore. It is like the useless stuff our rooms and almirahs are stuffed with.
    I liked the poem. These days I also do not trust the mirror. I am not as old as it reflects me, haha.

Viswamitra likes this.
  6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Hari Sir,

Isn’t it interesting the poem gives exactly opposite meaning when we read the poem from the bottom to top?

The word puzzle answer:

Lock-Piano - Key
    Ship-Card - Deck
    Tree-Car - Trunk
    School-Eye - Pupil
    Pillow-Court - Case
    River-Money - Bank
    Bed-Paper - Sheet
    Army-Water - Tank
    Tennis-Noise - Racket
    Smoker-Plumber - Pipe

HariLakhera likes this.
  7. HariLakhera

(After a long pause, I realized that the answer is common between the two words. Frankly, I am not good at it, but this time I guess I managed?

Viswamitra likes this.