1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Akshaya Tridhiyai!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Apr 20, 2007.

1. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

That was hilarious Sri sir!:rotfl
    Your hunch that the lizards must have hidden en masse knowing how troublesome these humans can become, must be true.

I really admire the genius behind the sweet shops ad. That person really knew what appeals to the public and really made money out it.

I recall the movie "Miracle on 34th street" where the CEO of Macy's says, " ... the people should look upon Macy's as the benevolent store; the store that puts customers above profits....thereby we make more profit..."

2. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mr. Viswamitra
    This theory of vacuum foot pads has been proven incorrect.
    Actually the lizards adhere to the walls with the help of tiny bristles in their foot pads called setae.
    Below is a small quote from wiki:
    The toes of the gecko have a special adaptation that allows them to adhere to most surfaces without the use of liquids or surface tension. The spatulae tipped setae on gecko footpads facilitate attractive forces called van der Waals forces to arise between the β-keratin lamellae/setae/spatulae structures and the surface

Trust you are not offended; that is not my intention.

3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa
    Thanks a lot for your short and crisp essay on lizards and their capabilities. I do not know if I have told you this before but my feelings for lizards are mixed. I do not like their habit of crawling on the ceiling so that they can get an upside down view of humans. Secondly I hate the noise of a lizard falling to the ground from the roof. Whatever is the mechanism by which they navigate on the ceiling upside down, it is certainly not fail proof. If any lizard makes any boastful claims, tell him that Edward Smith made similar claims about Titanic!

I am not one of those human beings who catch reptiles by their tails or by any other part of their anatomy. In fact, I maintain a minimum distance of 10 feet from reptiles of all kinds. If lizards keep losing their tails and growing them again, it is their will and pleasure. I am sure they view with the same equanimity my bi-monthly hair cuts at Dhanush, the ace hair dresser of Adyar!
    Sri

4. Cheeniya

My dear Kamala
    I have personally known Mr.Natarajan who founded Grand Sweets in Gandhi Nagar, Adyar. Initially, he was selling the sweets made by his wife and relatives from the 'thinnai' of his house. It was then he hit upon the idea of catering to the devout Hindus and his advertisements were aimed at attracting their attention. He never advertised his product directly but mostly talked about Hindu gods and festivals. It was quite similar to Chitvish's Religious Forum in IL!

In no time the shop became known worldwide and he passed away one day leaving the empire in the hands of his daughters. It is sad to see that it is now partitioned and lost its focus. They keep opening branches all over the city and Mr.Natarajan was quite averse to such business ideas.
    Sri

5. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

Cheeniya sir
    I initially thought you have written a fresh snippet on Akshaya thrithiyai 2012.:spin
    Well times have changed and your "sweets" kingpin has opened 2 outlets in T.nagar in the last couple of years.:thumbsup
    I decided to do some "real akshaya thritiyai "shopping (yeah.. a few kilos of rice!:)) and was stranded for about 15mins near a jewellery major.(I was on foot.. matters would have been worse if I had driven around.) Now that's my AT celebration update.

Enjoyed a re-read of a beautiful,humourous snippet after a long time.

Thanks
    Sowmya

6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Thank you for correcting my misunderstanding. I did not know that until I read your quote from WIKI. I welcome your note and I will never get offended. As matter of fact, I am all ears for learning something new.

Viswa

7. Cheeniya

Dear Sowmya
    You bought 3 kilos of rice? You have converted Akshaya Tridhiyai into Akshadhai Tridhiyai!
    Reminds me of the story of Kumba Karna. He did penance for completely destroying all the Devas. When the Lord appeared before him and asked him what was his desire, Kumba Karna asked for 'Nidratvam' instead of 'Nirdevatvam' by slip of the tongue. God granted him his desire and he started sleeping his famous sleep!
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  8. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

Cheeniya sir
    :rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl
    Akshadai thridhiyai indeed!
    In a way..I map to kumbakarnan too.Just out of hibernation.:hiya:hiya
    I just wanted to have my rice drum full all through the year,hence the conscious decision. (Now please don't think I am not going to cook at all!)

Enjoyed your reply sir.
    Regards
    Sowmya

9. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Respected Sir,

Best regards.

That's a typical Cheeniya Sir's post....with twists and turns at unexpected moments.....:thumbsup.

Enjoyed the post , the feed backs and your brilliant replies to the feed backs Sir....:thumbsup

One sweet thing this post had done to me was.....reminding me of " Kanchi Varadharajar Temple"....the magnificent Varadharajar and the Golden Lizard dharisanam I had long back......:)

10. PriyaKat

PriyaKat Silver IL'ite

Though you have taken the Kumudam gisu-gisu writer's route to carefully camouflage the identity of the sweet shop, it is , alas, as clearly apparent as the enhanced assets of a kavarchi nadigai. Grand Sweets is the only sweet stall in town audacious enough to issue religion-centric, community- centric ads. (Don't know why they stopped shy of adding : " Entry barred to Atheists and Religious Minorities", like the Brit-Indian clubs that once kept out "Dogs and Indians" ) I have seen their ads tabulating which flower / oil bestowed what boons when used in worship on which day / to which god etc. And wondered why is it that God , who created all flowers and all oil seeds , would choose to be partial to the mediatory services of only a few ? ) But dont remember seeing this absurd one ( the Limit !) about sighting Lizards on Akshayam day ! ...They say whatever you bring home/ receive on that day, augers an endless replenishment of the same , for ever. Hence the insane rush to get home gold ( and , of late, that over rated white metal, platinum, endorsed by a very popular, venerable astrologer - figure out who !) Having an akshayam of gold or whatever is ok, greed is understandable. But what if , by the same logic, you stumble upon a lizard on that day and end up with an Akshayam of lizards forever ? Unless you are pottering around in Amazon Rain Forest , on a grant from National Geographic or Discovery channel, I dont imagine anyone would be thrilled with such a bounty.

Too bad the sneaky Lizards cheated you out of the promised luck ! LOL ! They probably intuited that sighting a human on the Akshaya Tritiyai day is inauspicious for them, so they all moved , enmasse, to brighter locales, to fill their eyes with more lucky sights ?

I am neither scared of nor repulsed by lizards . Not that i am frightfully fond of them either, but I find their mind games with their targeted quarry ( a moth or fly ) quite fascinating. And their ability to just detach their tails from a tight spot and saunter away in nonchalant tail-lessness is truly awesome. That is real a-kshayam !

Enjoyed reading this post Sir. Would have really liked to see the look on your face when the blessed lizards gave you unreserved darshan on the NEXT day !

1 person likes this.