1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

MUSIC ! and some nostalgia...

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Mindian, Feb 28, 2010.

1. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

I used to sing "Yamunai atrile eera katrile kannanodu naan aada" from dhalapathy movie when I was at college. There'll be always a group of my friends who will wait for me to sing that song. Can't just forget that.

When we were young me and my brother used to sing, "Ullathil nalla ullam urangathenbadhu" from karnan movie. My father recorded our voices, even today its such a memorable song.

When I started my first job, uyire/Dil Se movie got released. I had then picked up "Eksooraj nikhalatha kuch paara pighala tha ...Dil se re, dil se re". We had a big server at our work where all colleagues dumped our collections and we network to that server and keep listening to non-stop hits.

Almost all 80s-90s ilayaraja songs. Those were the times I was in middle and high school. They were mostly hit songs. That kindles school time and teen age memories :)

Thirupachi aruvala theetikittu vada vada, Echi elumbichi etc from movie Taj Mahal - This reminds me of the gold old days we were at working women's hostel. My roomie is a hardcore fan of this folk songs, she'll be with her headphones and walkman even when she uses restroom ;-) (Ofcourse later I was a turned fan for these numbers).

Wow, nice thread mindi :thumbsup You have made me nostalgic.

-Uma

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  2. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

I was thinking about this just today and stumbled upon this thread. Today it was raining heavily and i was listening to romantic hindi songs and was carried back to my college days.

Old songs esp kishore songs sweep me off my feet.My dh used to sing chori-chori for me while dating.We were neighbours then. Some of the songs which remind of those days are:
    Tumse badkar duniya mein......from kamchor
    Yeh kahan aa gaye hum .....from silsila
    Jeevan ke har mod par mil jayenge humsafar
    Chehra hai ya chand khila ....from sagar
    Dilbar mere kab tak mujhe ....from sharabi
    Mere samne wali khidki mein.....from padosan (as me/dh stayed in opposite houses)

Huh!! Now im getting very nostalgic.....and feeling like being a teenager again.

3. Amma15

Amma15 Gold IL'ite

Mindi dear,

Are you my soulmate? How did you guess! I WAS nostalgic the other day.

It was on Tuesday evening ,driving back from work I was listening to songs from the movie Aradhana, which brought back memories of my mother and our Aradhana date! Way back in 1974/75 I think, I had just joined college ,one Sunday afternoon my mom told me ," Usha , this movie is in town and I want to go with you but I dont want to spend much of the time going to the loo or to buy popcorn. How do we manage it? " My siblings were much younger and dad was out of town. It meant what do we do with the little ones. My mother was such a romantic I knew she was sold on seeing it. So I asked my paternal grandmother who lived with us. She was a grand old lady. She told us not to worry and she will keep them entertained .What a whale of a time we had!

Oh! Yes! MUSIC and song I love it. Especially Mohd.Rafi & P.B.Srinivas.Their music and voice is sheer magic & romance. How as a teenager I used to dream of marrying someone who could sing like them! And yes I fell in love with my DH's voice I must confess but sadly he cannot get a single not right! And all time favourites MLV and MS. I still cry when I hear MLV'S rendition of Purandaradasa.

Perhaps MUSIC is the ONLY addiction that is universal ( even animals and plants love it ) and is 200% therapeutic! Is there anyone in this world who doesn't like music?

Thank you, Mindi for the lovely post.......taking us down memory lane.

Love,
    Usha

4. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear Sai,

great to hear pavithra is doing fine...hahhah looks like she will grow up to me a typical mumbai chi mulgi..since she has already started enjoing FM..enjoy yourself singing and dancing with her they really grow up too fast.:)

5. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear viji,

good to see you again with your memories...wow, i hope you are singing the same song to both gopika and Pratima...

yes, let the kids enjoy themselves learning whatever interests them..todays kids are blessed with the numerous oppurtunities available.

it is really nice to read everyones fb here.i too am enjoying them.:)

6. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Hi mankan,

good to know we share some favourites :cheers

were you a rekha fan too? hahha ...i was, once upon a time though i still think she looks very nice.:) thanks for joining me here.

hey just noticed you are from china..how do you like it here..i was on a holiday to Zhangzhou , Suzzhou and Shanghai in december.is it near your place?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  7. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Hi Uma,

thank you so much for joining me here with your memories.:)

yes, isnt it amazing that we have so many memories associated with music ?it suddenly struck me and i started penning them down realizing only later that the post was quite long.:hide:

anyway glad that i took you down memory lane too.:)

8. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

hi pman

seems like we both had the same idea :)

yes, nothing like watching the rain from the comfort of your balcony with a strong hot cuppa (if there are bhajias to go with it..all the more better hahaah ) and lovely old romantic numbers in the backgound.my idea of sheer bliss too.:)

hey you seem to have some lovely romantic scenes lifted straight out of our films in your real life too...that is just great :)

9. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear Usha,

GREAT to see you here and thanks for sharing your cherished memories .

so nice to hear about your movie date with mom dear !

hey we do seem to be soul mates at least in one aspect..both of us love music but have hubbys who cannot get a single note right.:cheers to that indeed.and yes we LOVE them in spite (or should i say because ) of that.hahhah

10. shreyashreyas

shreyashreyas Gold IL'ite

Mindian, i still remember my mom scolding saying that the rewind button in the taperecorder will cry if you continue to rewind and play for lyrics collection.....