1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

mr. and mrs. crow and other crow stories

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Feb 18, 2011.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Tashidalek,

That is so similar to our custom of feeding the crows.

2. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear sat,
    What an amazing way of narration!!!!Still I am seeing the scene in front of my eyes . Your description made that much impact!!
    Here I just wanted to share one thing regarding crows.I have read in the paper.
    Carrion Crows of Sendai City, Japan, have access to a supply of walnuts but have a tough time cracking them open. These feathered problem solvers, however, have found a solution. The clever birds perch on traffic lights with walnuts held in their beaks. When a red light stops the traffic, the birds fly down, position the walnuts in the path of the traffic and return to their vantage point. The light turns green, the traffic resumes, and the walnuts are crushed by tires passing over them. As soon as the light turns red again, the Crows return to the pavement to claim their food. Now do you believe Crows are intelligent?In my house the crows refuse to touch the rice without pappad!!!!:)
    with love
    pad

3. satchitananda

wow, padmini, absolutely fascinating. and we think we are god's gift to the earth - the most intelligent of all beings.

thanks.:)

4. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

Very nice narration. I totally enjoyed reading your post :thumbsup

5. satchitananda

thanks ice.

ice, i wanted some info on giving a link from IL to other web site. i'll post a mail in the bloggers corner, if u can help me.

6. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi,

This must be the most fascinating thread that I have read in a long time, so much 'crow-pedia'!

Crows are birds which are all over the world. However irritating their caws maybe, they surely have a very interesting aura. We have a bird feed at the back yard and I have always wondered that not even one crow is among the birds that visit. Not that I am complaining!

The way you have observed crows from your window and what you narrate is really cute. Looks like Mr and Mrs Crow are not far off in their reaction to their human neighbors?!

Tina, that was a lot of info on crows from you. How true, I now realize that I have never seen a flock of crows. Nature is fascinating.

L, Kamla

7. aminroop

aminroop IL Hall of Fame

nice post as usual!:thumbsup

though i cant write much by way of fb regarding crows cos i'm not much into bird watching.

but all the same, wonderful narration.:thumbsup

8. satchitananda

thanks kamla.

actually that bit of information of crows living in families is really interesting. i would love to know whether they live in joint families or nuclear, with in-laws or out-laws etc. would be very intriguing to know.:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

9. satchitananda

hi poornima,

thanks for your fb. yes, now with all this information, i would really love to start "crow-watching" as a hobby. nature and life are really fascinating.

10. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Satchi,
    Bird watching is a very interesting sport, isn't it...my son used to do it when he sees birds of different flock come and feed in our bird feeder...he even gives the names of those birds too and feel bad, when he misses any one of them..

One more rather two more pointers which reveal the intelligence of crows:

Filling the jar with pebbles to get water which is at the bottom of the jar..is not an Aesop fables...it is proven to be true..

In another experiment, a crow uses a stick to get to the food which was kept in a corner of a squared box..:thumbsup

sriniketan