moving to Sydney

Discussion in 'Indians in Sydney' started by Arunasara, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Arunasara

Arunasara New IL'ite

Hi,
    My hubby gets a project in sydney . So we r planning to move there. So ineed inform about the school there. My son is doing UKG here. HEre the academic closes by april. there academic starts by Dec/Jan. So if we come in middle can we join him in the school. can I put my son in Public school if we r coming in Work Permit. Or is it a must to have PR to put him in public school. How much will it cost in public school per year . If he is doing Std - I here then, can i join him in Year I there or in kindy. he is SEP 2006 born. Will he be able to cope up there. or will he find any difficulty in moving with the teachers/friends or in his study. If we return after 3 or 4 years back to india , will he be able to cope up here. Please help me ....am confused....

Thank you
    Aruna S

2. blessbabydust

blessbabydust IL Hall of Fame

aruna congratulation for your husbands job and welcome to sydney .. i will try to answer for my best of knowledge :-
    1. To put your child in public school you dont need PR or citizen , you are eligible to put ur child
    2. Cost of public school is nil payment for per year but be mindful you have other cost like school uniforms , shoes, stationery and other activities cost .. so please put aside $2000 for this
    3. Here primary school kids age is 5 so your child is eligible to be in Yr 1 .
    4. good news here the education system is very flexible and good ... so u will be able to join the school in between the terms .
    5. your son should be going thru the verbal test ( very easy so dont panic )just whatever he learnt in UKG .. and here educational system is different very creative (playful nature education rather than very formal school environment ) ..

let me know if you need any help or support happy to do so .. also plz choose right suburb

3. Arunasara

Arunasara New IL'ite

Thank You very much for ur immediate reply.
    Actually 3 yrs back, we were there in sydney for 2 years when my child was an infant - toddler. At that time i didnt take any pains to know about the education much, since our plan was to return to india when my child enters kinder.
    actually, when we were there , i have heard that, if we are PR, the school is free of cost of fees. If we have come there in work permit, we need to pay the fees. that is why i am confused.
    also, i have heard that if we come from here and join the school there, then after some years if we return back to india and re join the school, one year will be lost for the child.
    Ex, if the child shud do Std 3 in 2015 in India, if he joins school in OZ , returns back and joins again in india, he will be doing only Std 2.
    Is that true...
    also, will there be any problem that teachers treat indian student differently?
    by the way in which suburb r u at present.
    is ur children studying there? if so from first or what?
    actually when we were there few yrs back we were in strathfield.
    waiting for ur reply.
    Aruna S

4. blessbabydust

blessbabydust IL Hall of Fame

aruna
    iam sorry to give you wrong information as your visa will be treated like temporary resident you will fall under international student category so u need to pay the public school fees :)() ... iam unsure abt indian education system but ican gurantee the education system is so flexible ... yes i totally agree that changing the school so often this will affect ur child if u r so concern just plan wel before coming here with ur child .

5. Arunasara

Arunasara New IL'ite

Thats ok . No problem. Yes we are thinking over... let me see...if we r travelling definitely i will ask u more details ...
    anyhow thanks for all ur replies....
    Thank You
    Aruna S

6. Arunasara

Arunasara New IL'ite

Hi,
    I would like to know if there any class teaching tamil, in homebush, sydney.

Since if we move back to india after 3-4 years , my son need to know the second language know thats why...

thank you