Moving to Singapore? Housing/Utility/Transport/Cost of Living etc!

Discussion in 'New to Singapore' started by Vinodha, May 24, 2007.

1. Lilly07

Lilly07 Bronze IL'ite

Need directions to go to Woodlands shopping centre

Hi,
    Years back, I used to go to a place in woodlands whether they sell fabrics(dress materials). Mostly for malay dresses. But we can also make Indian salwar and kurtis out of it. I had gone there years back and now i don't remember the way to reach that place. It is not causeway shopping mall. The place which I am mentioning is somewhere in woodlands where they sell fabrics for malay dress. Can anyone tell me how to reach that place from Queenstown mrt
    I have also heard about a place in geylang where they sell malay dress materials. Is that place called Jalan Pasar Baru. How do i reach this place?
    I heard that the dress materials are cheaper in Woodlands. Is is so? It would be a great help if someone could tell me the bus/mrt route. Thx.

2. Anushiv

Anushiv Senior IL'ite

Re: Need directions to go to Woodlands shopping centre

Hi Lilly,

Yes, I too had been to that place. I don't exactly remember the name of that place but its near woodlands (check) point & International agency... ( near to Marsiling MRT) But I doubt the place still exists... I heard it is under renovation.

In Geylang, there is place called geylang serau. ( near Geylang MRT) Over there, too you get lot of colourful material, curtains, bed covers/ bed sheets etc.

One more place, which I recommend to u, is <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">Arab Street</st1:address></st1:Street>. ( near Little India) A small street full of Malay & Muslim clothing material shops, the price might vary from shop to shop but definitely, you can have a good bargain. The shops are open from 10am - 5 pm only.

3. peekyboo

peekyboo Senior IL'ite

ARab street the dress material is simply gorgeous but can be expensive..

as for the Woodlands one. take the train to Woodlands MRT and below the MRT station basement is the bus depot..ask any bus driver,wch bus to take to the Old Woodlands interchange... everyone knows that place...its just before the Woodlands Check point..u can also take the taxi from Woodland MRT.Bow

4. Lilly07

Lilly07 Bronze IL'ite

Yes, thx guys for the info. Yes I go to Arab street and ususally go for nice party wear material or I buy plain silk material and do embroidery. I want to buy casual wear for my cousin in India. Thx for sending info regarding geylang. Yes I remember getting down in Marsling MRT and from there I need to take a bus to reach this place? Let me see whether I can get info about this route? Is that place called old Woodlands bus interchange?
    Catch up with u guys soon.
    Regards

Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  5. peekyboo

peekyboo Senior IL'ite

it is Old Woodlands...u just need to tell the taxi driver..there are many many shops there for cloths ..they will know

6. Lilly07

Lilly07 Bronze IL'ite

hi peekyboo
    Thx for the info. Is the cab drive from WoodLands mrt or any other MRT is nearer old Woodlands interchange?

7. peekyboo

peekyboo Senior IL'ite

Hi from Woodlands MRT

8. NeerajaSur

NeerajaSur New IL'ite

Re: need help for new resident

Hi Lakshmi :

First up, I really appreciate your efforts to do such a wonderful peripheral work for your SIL. S'pore is such a nice place to live in unlike the USA, where one feels totally alien. At the end of it, after your SIL moves in, she might only feel like having moved to another state in India or if not better than that.

Yeah, Mustafa is the one step shop for all indian groceries. There is nothing you cannot get in Mustafa. Vegetable vendors in Little India sell everything that we get back in India. Ofcourse there are lots of vendors who also home deliver groceries.

There are lots of temples, tonnes of Indian EXPATs that you SIL will surely feel at home here.

Lastly, you can give our email ids for her to connect once she is here for any help.

Cheers
    Neeraja.

9. dbirlase

dbirlase New IL'ite

Air fare to singapore

Hi guys,

i visited india last week. From india, there is a promotion from SQ, 14K from chennai taxes inclusive.

Dinesh.

10. PoorniDaya

PoorniDaya Senior IL'ite

Re: Air fare to singapore

How long is this offer? Is this the e-ticket, where you wont get a refund if your trip is cancelled or postponed? Because a couple of months ago my agent suggested i get it, as i had planned my trip that time, but as expected i got to stay back and god, I got a refund.

If its otherwise, then pls let me know the agent?

Thanks
    Poornima.