Moving to Singapore? Housing/Utility/Transport/Cost of Living etc!

Discussion in 'New to Singapore' started by Vinodha, May 24, 2007.

1. sangi

sangi New IL'ite

Re: Accomodation/schooling near Jurong

Hi! Anu Shiv,Jayashree & Vidyakirti,

Thanks for the feedback. Now I am somewhat clear now. 2BHK ( means 2rooms+living room+kitchen) will cost around 1800$ (Of course it will depend on house to house)after increase in the rent spree going on..

Are their any other school of CBSE board beside Bhavan school?

What are the options for Science students after 12th Class?

Thanks again for the response which are quite helpful.

Have a nice day

Sangi

2. lakshmilatest

lakshmilatest New IL'ite

Settling Tips for New Singapore Residents

Hey ,
    My name is Lakshmi living in USA. My brother is in Singapore for the past 3 months and he;s getting married this jan. My SIL is not too modern and needs more tamil people near by. Please tell me how to find cheap apartments with minimim facilities also with more indians. What will be the average rent and other charges.
    Your input is valuable . Please let me know ASAP.
    Donot ask me why your brother is not doing the job. He's a release manager and always says he's busy. But I am concerned about my SIL and donot want her to be suffered. Please help me Girls

Reshma001 likes this.
  3. slp807

slp807 Bronze IL'ite

Re: need help for new resident

Dear Lakshmi,

Its so nice of you to have concern for your SIL, in these days where we are reading a lot about abusing and creating problems, its good to know that you dont want your SIL to suffer in the new place.

hope Ilites in singapore will help you with this.

All the Best

4. PoorniDaya

PoorniDaya Senior IL'ite

Hello,

I am glad you are taking a lot of interest in your family members comfort..something very rare these days.

Well, as long as I had been in Singapore, I didnt find the place alien in anyway. I lived in Serangoon area, where most indians live. Close by is mustafa shopping mall, little india and temples. This is the best place for your SIL. But there are many other areas like Bishan, Woodlands, Bukit Batok and some more which i am not aware, where there will be more indians, but you will not have the comfort of finding indian stalls close by. I lived in Bendmeer, to be precise. Its just a stop away from Mustafa center and two stops away from Little India.

This is where we get all indian stuff and it will make one feel at home...like walking around in Pondy Bazar!!

I am sure your SIL can feel at ease in S'pore..nothing to worry - this is my personal opinion. As for friends, she can have your brother's friends' family to chat with! The calling cards are cheap and she can talk to her family here often if she could. The libraries have tamil magazines and she can also get all the books in indian stores in Little india.

As for the rent, I heard the rates have now gone up. But you could get a 3 room hdb for $1000. Inclusive of public utility - electrcity and water. For 4 room it will a couple of hundred dollars more. She can find shared accomodation in many indian families. But that would test her tolerance level!!! It will cost around $450-500, depending upon the facilities offered. The cost of living is not too high if she can balance with her expenses.

Hope this input helps and your bro and SIL be merry.

Cheers
    PoorniDaya.

5. kalpagam

kalpagam New IL'ite

Hi Lakshmi,
    I can assure you that Singapore is a place where your SIL will settle down quite easily. Though the rentals have increased in the past few months there are still HDB apartments that are available for low rentals. HDB stands for housing development board. These are very well maintained and very comfortable flats.There are Indians everywhere in Singapore and your SIL will have no problems finding them in any area she goes. Most areas have atleast one tamil speaking provision shop/vegetable stall.
    Then the Singapore transport system is excellent. Unlike the US where knowing to drive is essential it is not so in Singapore.
    Let me know if you have any other sepcifice queries.
    Regards
    Kalpagam

6. spandhana

spandhana Bronze IL'ite

hi lakshmi,

my living place is singapore itself.Here, the prices are hiked very much , for 2 bhk it costs no less than 1500SGD.Coming to the location SengKong,Bedok,Clementi,Jurong,Commowealth r the most running areas.There may be a few more, but these r upto my knowledge.Coming to the lowest prices,JTC's r there but now they r like hot cakes, difficult to catch them, otherwise she can go for a shared accommodation.

regards

7. PoorniDaya

PoorniDaya Senior IL'ite

Moving to Singapore...? Some helpful tips for travel and transport!

Hello Ladies

I would like to know the how much we could carry to Singapore, for adult and for infant. Also how much does it cost to pay for extra baggage.

Thanks
    PoorniDaya

8. titli

titli New IL'ite

re: Moving to Singapore...? Some helpful tips for travel and transport!

hi,
    they will allow 20 kgs for adult...but approx u can take till 23kgs..
    but from singapore they will allow till 25 kgs as they r linient..
    since, i don't hv baby now, i don't know reg. that...n also abt extra baggage..
    we usually don't carry excess baggage..
    bye
    titli

9. Anushiv

Anushiv Senior IL'ite

Hi,

Adult - 20 kg for check in baggage & 7kg for hand baggage. For infant 10-12kg check in baggage. From India ( esp from chennai) they are very very strict in the weight issue. so, pls. watch out !

10. PoorniDaya

PoorniDaya Senior IL'ite

Thanks to both of you for having made it clear. I had some extra baggage, but somehow managed to fit into the req weight.

Regards
    PoorniDaya