1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Moving to San Francisco

Discussion in 'New to Bay Area' started by aabalode, Feb 1, 2010.

1. aabalode

aabalode New IL'ite

Hi, I need some information for moving to San Francisco. I am planning to move over there. I heard SF is a costly place to live. I will be working in downtown area.
    I am looking for a place in Indian community to stay. It can be as far as 45 min by train/ bus. I have no idea about SF.
    Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

2. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

Indian hubs near San Francisco are Fremont (in East Bay) or Sunnyvale/San Jose area (South Bay). If you plan to commute using public transportation, and you opt to live in Fremont, you may commute directly to SF downtown thru BART (Bay Area Rapid transit) and from south bay you may use CalTrain. From San Francisco caltrain station, you'll need to use MUNI (local transportation within SF city) trains to reach downtown SF. Public transportation facility is very good in Bay Area.

If you plan to live in the city, there are few apartments like Fox Plaza, Trinity Plaza (I'm not sure if their new apartments are available for rent, old ones are mostly studios), or Bay Side Village. These years lots of indians choose to stay in the city too, though you'll not find the huge indian population as you find in east or south bays. Sunnyvale/Fremont have large number of Indian stores too.

SF is a lovely place, and the weather is its best attraction..You'll love the place!! Enjoy..

3. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

Congrats! SF is a nice city to work in but it is damn expensive. 1 bedroom apt goes for around 1500-2000 per month dependent on amenities. If you don't mind taking public transport, I'd recommend fremont. the bart train takes about 45 minutes from fremont to downtown sf. in fremont, park presidio apts are right across the street from bart station and there is a large indian population there. fremont also has way more indian amenities such as indian groceries, movie stores etc when compared to sf. so if you don't mind the commute, I will heartily recommend fremont. caltrain can be used to travel from san jose area, but that train is once an hour or so, whereas from fremont, bart trains runs every 15 minutes. it is expensive though, a round trip ticket from fremont-sf is around 12 bucks. caltrains is also the same cost. so if you are going 5 times a week, it will run about 250 per month.

4. essenns

essenns New IL'ite

I happen to live in San Francisco and thoroughly enjoy the city. It is a great place to live but you will find fewer Indian and there is no Indian community as such. You can always go to Fremont or San Jose etc that have pretty big Indian communities. I like the city because it gives me more time (no need to commute to and from work), gives me additional privacy and the fun aspects of the city itself with lots of restaurants, access to plays etc. Let me know if you need additional information about the various areas in the City

5. prihmks

prihmks New IL'ite

Hi all,

I moved to CA a week back. I'm from hyd. I love being with teulgu people. I'm looking to take an apartment where I can find more Telugu people near fremont/Santa clara/Sunnyvale/Mountain view. Please help me out in this regarding. I'm in my 6th mnth pregnancy, my mom would be coming here in my 9th mnth, so looking to stay around Andhra people.

6. deepanair

deepanair Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I live in san francisco and I think it's an amazing city. For the starters , yes the rents can be a bit high but it's really down these days due to the economy. Downtown is really expensive and a studio or 1BHK can be quite expensive. But there are a lot of areas off downtown that might be worth considering. Here are a few options-

1) Sunset - affordable and you might find some indian families there though there isn't an indian community as such in SF .

2) Twin peaks- around 1600 for 1 BHK. pretty views and connected by muni from downtown. Also Noe Valley

3) SOMA- if you could shell out a bit for then SOMA is also a nice place, close to downtown.

These are just a few examples. You could run a search on craigslist to get a sense of the rents. That said pretty much all the areas are safe otherthan tenderloin and some areas in the mission district.
    If I were you, I would stay in the city than outside it

Hope this helps,

Deepa:)

7. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Fremont is the best option..close to downtown and indian people are there..
    Choose an area that is close to "Bart" or "Caltrain"

In sanbruno,millbrae and burlingame too indian people are there..good locality..can find houses @ moderate rate...takes 1/2 to downtown by train i suppose..millbrae junction has both Bart/Caltrain..

Foster city is bit far but indians are ther in that area too

8. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

To add to the list, you may consider richmond district too.. Very peaceful area and you might find 1bhk for nearly $1500. There are lots of chinese/vietnamese stores in Clement street in Richmond for veggies and meat/seafood. But for Indian groceries, you'll have to depend on Fremont or Sunnyvale. The Indian shop in SF city is way too expensive - sometimes almost double the price!

9. deepanair

deepanair Senior IL'ite

True, richmond is nice area too! and yes the Indian grocery stores here are better left unvisited, a major disappointment. But then you could go to foster city- 20 min from here. Not too bad!

@ writeme- Are you also in SF?

Deepa

10. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

Deepa..I wish if I were there!! Moved to the east coast recently.. SF/Bay Area is one of the best places to live in US, no doubt about it!!!