1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Moving to OKC

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by roopa16, Nov 30, 2007.

1. roopa16

roopa16 New IL'ite

Hi everybody,
    I am rupa from hyd, india. i will be moving to OKC in jan with my husband and 2 yr old son. My question is regarding baby food. I give my son normal indian food (rice, dal, boiled vegetables etc) for lunch and dinner. I will be stayin in a hotel for abt 2 weeks till the time we find a proper house to settle in. I want to know whether any substitute baby food is available which is both nutritious and also instantly prepared when i am stayin in the hotel? i am really worried abt it... once i move home, i think i can give him normal food. plz tell me where exactly is the food available?

Tnx
    Rupa.

2. ramyanand

ramyanand Gold IL'ite

Hi roopa
    In which hotel u r goin to stay?Here most of the hotels will be having all the facilities like electric stove,refrigerarot,MW,toaster etc...
    so i dont foresee any problem in cooking for u'r kid...Be sure u pack enuf indian groceries for the first 2 months..Once u move to an apt u can find an indian grocery shop near u..

Cheers
    Ramya

3. Amicable

Amicable Senior IL'ite

Hi Roopa....

Welcome to US. There are lots of American Stores like Walmart etc. where you can buy all kind of food and there are Indian grocery stores also availble. For Indian food click on the below link. They have raw and Instant food available.

Indian Grocery stores...
    Indian Grocery Stores in Oklahoma City - EkNazar Yellow Pages

There are some Indian restaurants in Oklahoma, you can buy food from there also.

Indian Resaurants in Oklhoma
    Indian Restaurants in Oklahoma, OK, india cuisine, vegetarian, non veg restaurant, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Durant

There is an Indian Temple, you can contact them, if you need more help. In oklahoma there is a large community of South Indians and all are very helpful here.

Hindu Temple of Oklahoma City, Home Page

Temple Address

7200 N.COLTRANE
    OKLAHOMA CITY OK- 73121
    (close to Hwy 35 and Wilshire Blvd)

Good luck.

4. roopa16

roopa16 New IL'ite

Hi ramya,
    I still dont know abt the hotel in which we are gonna stay. May know by mid-dec.
    Amicable,
    Tnx for the info. will be very useful when i come over there.

Anybody From OKC in this group?? Want to know abt the housing rentals there. Please tell me whether to go for fully furnished or semi-furnished(kitchen only)? i may stay for 6-7 months there.. May go for 700 - 800 sqft 1BHK.. Some ppl say that fully furnished is pretty expensive and better to go for unfurnished and buying all stuff ourselves. Plz advise me in this regard. I dont want to end up spending too much on rentals. Plz reply back.

Tnx
    Roopa.

5. Amicable

Amicable Senior IL'ite

Hi...

I am pasting the website below, where you can check the apartments avaiable for rent. You might be able to contact the dealer, that person can give you some more idea for your choice. One more thing, you post your question on Sulekha.com - Connecting Indians worldwide. Read write Blogs, Groups, Classifieds, Yellow Pages, Movies, Travel, there are lots of people, who can give you more suggestion. Because there are big group of Indians in US on that website. As far as for hotels, I would suggest...Days Inn, Holiday Inn and Hilton Inn. Try one of these hotels, reasonable price. And you can also look for Bed and Breakfast places. Check for hotels in oklahoma under google, there you will find lots of information. You can check the price also.

Link for Oklahoma rental guide....
    Oklahoma Apartments and Rental Guide

If I will be able to find more information, I will post it soon. Hope other Indus Ladies memebers can suggest you some more things.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007