1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Moving to New Jersey - Discussion Lounge

Discussion in 'Indians in Edison' started by AnjuMahendran, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Moving to NJ next week, Need some details

Hi all,

I am cindhuja....me and my family r moving to NJ from bay area....Cud u people giv me some general infmn abt NJ....

We have been adviced to find an apt in somerset county...so it wud be of great help, if u giv me some details like indian grocery stores, restaurants, and general stores like walmart,costco,target,safeway etc in tat locality....

Generally how much does it costs for a single BR apt in and around bridgewater and franklin...

Keep me posted...Thanks in advance....

2. vpriya

vpriya Senior IL'ite

Re: Moving to NJ next week, Need some details

Hi Cindhuja,
    I lived in somerset few yrs back, it is a nice place, but the school are ok. not very great. you have to consider the schools if u have kids going to public school.
    but other than that it has 2 patel stores,1 subzi mandi and one more indian store. lots of indians there, many preschools, daycare. very close to lots of indian resturants, it is more like an indian community there. the apartments for single BR will be approx 1000$ its been long time so dont know if it has increased a lot now days. few aprtments u need to book in advance, some u get it easily. bridgewater is also a very good place, schools are best and little more expensive than somerset i think. u can find walmart, sams, stop and shop and shoprite and pathmark in an around these areas.

let us know where ur dh will be working. in somerset u have access to buses to NY city too. the place i am talking abt in somerset is on route 27 and it is franklin township, the library is 20 mins drive but a very good one.

3. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

4. psubhashinig

psubhashinig New IL'ite

moving to jersey city (jsq)

Hi All,
    Iam subhashini. Iam new to the site.yesterday only i find it. we came NJ three days back. We are looking for the house in jc(JSQ).can anybody tell me about the area.
    anyone is living there.Is it nice place. Thank you

5. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Re: moving to jersey city (jsq)

Hi Subhashini,

Welcome to the NJ and site.

Actually i am residing in Bleecker street just 10mintues away from JSQ. That area is full of our Indian community, rents are little high, got PATH very near& Indian street is there, where one whole street is full of our Indian shops.

In our area, it is mixed of all community, we have community van facility to reach JSQ(just maximum 10minutes).

My Hubby's collegues most of the members are residing near JSQ only.

6. psubhashinig

psubhashinig New IL'ite

Hi Usha,
    I am so happy getting reply from you.Yesterday we went to see the rental houses in jsq.I felt very happy to see that many indians. Usha you are from which place.Iam from andhra.we resently moved from maryland.Now we are in a hotle.I have a four years old kid. Tell me about u.

Thanks,
    subhashini.

7. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi Subhashini,

Its nice to see your response too. Acutally basically Tamilian, but born and bought in Andhra only(chittoor), did my Degree all in Tirupathi only.

I am here in U.S past 2years. I got my own sister in Virginia, she was in Baltimore only before 1 year. Currently me & myhubby only, expecting new arrival in family in soon:)).

If you need any help do buzz me, i can help you regarding shops. We can meet once you settle also.

8. psubhashinig

psubhashinig New IL'ite

Hi,
    Iam very happy to know about you.we are staying here from past one and half year.
    once we settled i will give my number. Today we are shifting to jsq. Then we will
    be in contact.

Regards,
    subhashini

9. psubhashinig

psubhashinig New IL'ite

Hi,
    Iam very happy to know about you.we are staying here from past one and half year.
    once we settled i will give my number. Today we are shifting to jsq. Then we will
    be in contact.

Regards,
    subhashini

10. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Subha welcome to NJ...

Hope you love it here :)