Moving to London Need Help and Advice.

Discussion in 'Indians in London' started by apsh, Jul 11, 2010.

1. apsh

apsh New IL'ite

Hi,

My husband and I are moving to London. His office is in Stockley Park. I am running 6th month of my pregnancy. So we looking for a place near his office, preferably near a nice hospital. Also I need to know how much rooms we will be needing, nething specific to London Child law. Do we need to have a separate room for the baby. What all preparations we need to do before the new born arrives.

Thanks is advance.

2. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Dear apsh,

Welcome to IL and a grand welcome to London !

As far as I am aware there is no law in UK which stipulates the measure of house or rooms needed for a family to rear a newborn.So don't worry about it.

The residential place closest to Stockley park might be Uxbridge but again I am not conversant with West London.

I might not be able to assist you with newborn requisites but I am sure other ILites would step in to clarify your doubts.

I hope you have a great stay in London and hope to see you more often in IL.Enjoy your pregnancy and motherhood.:thumbsup

3. Asha2010

Asha2010 New IL'ite

Dear Apsh
    Many Congratulations for entering the world of motherhood!!!!!!! Welcome to London.
    Does the visa on which you are coming allows you to stay for more than 6 months? If yes the first thing that you should do is look out for a GP (General Practitioner)near the house where you stay in London and get registered. As far as a nice hospital is concerned I am also new to London but have heard that Portland hospital is a good one one but expensive. I am sure you will soon find an answer about a good hospital (with better maternity services) on this forum. You can also consult with the GP about this.
    If you have any other queries you can post here we will be more than happy to help you as much as we can.
    Thanks
    Asha

4. apsh

apsh New IL'ite

Thanks Sabitha and Asha for responding. I am still waiting for other ladies to speak up.

Also, My hubby is getting reimbursed for carrying 100-150kg of shipment. So do you people advice me to carry some stuff??

5. Asha2010

Asha2010 New IL'ite

Dear Apsh,

I brought:
    1) Chakla and belan (to make rotis) and Tawa
    2) Some medicines (asprin, sarradon, norflox etc)
    3) Some utensils (Bowl, Plate, spoon, 1 small cooking utensil for tea, 1 pressure cooker, 2 glasses, 2 bowls, 2 cups)
    4) I did not bring many clothes or shoes...as they are not very costly (primark and asda are two stores which are really cheap), so while looking an accomodation in London make sure your house is not very far from ASDA (you can get clothes, grocery, asian food items and everything u want at a reasonable rate), Primark only has clothes, shoes, bags no grocery items at reasonable prices
    5) Some dry fruits
    I will let you know if I remember anything else.....do keep posted if you have any other query.
    Thanks
    Asha

6. Asha2010

Asha2010 New IL'ite

Dear Apsh,

I brought:
    1) Chakla and belan (to make rotis) and Tawa
    2) Some medicines (asprin, sarradon, norflox etc)
    3) Some utensils (Bowl, Plate, spoon, 1 small cooking utensil for tea, 1 pressure cooker, 2 glasses, 2 bowls, 2 cups)
    4) I did not bring many clothes or shoes...as they are not very costly (primark and asda are two stores which are really cheap), so while looking an accomodation in London make sure your house is not very far from ASDA (you can get clothes, grocery, asian food items and everything u want at a reasonable rate), Primark only has clothes, shoes, bags no grocery items at reasonable prices
    5) Some dry fruits
    I will let you know if I remember anything else.....do keep posted if you have any other query.
    Thanks
    Asha

7. madeinengland

madeinengland New IL'ite

Dear apsh,

The only thing I can think of at the moment is that you should get some warm clothes for the baby when you get here as it will be coming up to winter. Usually the baby clothes from warmer countries are not sufficient for the winter here. You'll need to get a coat, blanket, mittens, socks and maybe some bootees.

As Sabitha mentioned, Uxbridge might be a good location near stockley park to look for an apartment, especially if neither of you have a driving license when arriving here. If you can find a place within walking distance of the tube station then it will be much easier for you to get around with a young baby. Uxbridge also has links to alperton & wembley which are areas where indian grocery items are more easily available.
    Alternatively you could try and find a place on the roads surrounding uxbridge road as this leads straight to southall where there are a lot of indian shops.

Stockley park isn't very well connected public transport wise so try to find an area close by with good links.