1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Moving to India for good and kids emotions.......how to deal??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by meena2, Feb 23, 2010.

1. meena2

meena2 Senior IL'ite

My friend is moving back to India for good in May this year 2010.
    She has 11yr old and 6yr old girls. She will go with kids and get them in school and then hubby will follow depending on his job and when he gets. But as of now the plan is she goes first and hubby follows her in around 6-8 months.

They have already talked to the kids. The 6 yr old is least bothered but the 11yr old feels sad she will miss her friends and other things here. She is very active in extra curricular activities here like sports, music etc.

Can you advise how my friend should be dealing with these feelings of her dd??
    Also, what does she need to do for less stressful transition for the kids.

As of now the school admission has been dealt with successfully....only they have to go and take a formal test. But admission does not seem to be a problem as they have already talked to the school authority on this.

2. RNath

RNath New IL'ite

Hi Meena,

I am in same boat as your friend in 2010 . My husband got job in middle east and he wants me to take decision either to stay here in US with kids and move to India .

I have 12 yr old in 7th grade going to 8th grade. I am so worried about him.He is in good school and performing acadamically and in sports very well.

I have job here and own house.But my question if i have to put him in American schools in India , first it is costing anywhere 13000 - 17000 $ per year. Second choice if i put him in Indian syllabus - ICSE and CBSE hen he might work hard to adjust to it in a year .

But i will have to then put him in Indian colleges and let him finish his UG. He is very determined to do Medicine .In India as all of you know it is very competitive and scoring above 95% overall also does not guarantee seat in medical colleges and capital fees runs in crores.

So Indus ladies advice me if i should stay back here itself and continue his high school and UG and as per wish pursue medicine or is it wise and easier to get seats in Medicine in India .

I am out of India for more than 15 years so have no knowledge about this.

so I would be grateful if you all can put your experiences in this thread

3. billybob

billybob Gold IL'ite

If I were you I would stay back in USA, I have high schooler cannot even think about moving to India. High school is very different here, depending upon the school, honors or AP course curriculum is very advanced here than in India, English is at college level contrary to what people think and believe. Extracurricular activities are tough,they do not get time for any thing expect may be few hours a week, apart from all this she works few hours a week when she finds free time during weekend. I am comparing to my high school ciriculum.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  4. Cathedral

Cathedral New IL'ite

Hi R Nath,

i wonder if you have relocated to India?? If you have please share your experience abt your child coping up with the syllabus and new school. Which curriculum did you choose?

sandy
    hya