1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Moving to BayArea - Suggestions for school friendly areas needed

Discussion in 'Schools/Playgroups/Daycares in Bay Area' started by emkaykay, Apr 5, 2012.

1. emkaykay

emkaykay New IL'ite

Hi,

We are moving to BayArea. My hubby got a job in MountainView and we are looking for 2 bed apartments within the price range of 1500 - 2000 within driving distance of 20-30 minutes.

My kid is 5 years old (turned 5 this month), so I guess he is suitable to join the new elementary year. But what is the admission procedure to private and public schools? I will be moving in probably next month, so what are the things that I have to do as soon as I come in? And which area should I look for apartment?

Thank you for your help.

2. indianinbayarea

indianinbayarea New IL'ite

Hi Emkaykay

Santa Clara, Sunnyvale are close to Mountain View. I know Mountain View has good schools. But not sure if you will get admissions since there will be overload of students at those schools.

Youe best best I think would be Santa Clara, Search for forums in " Indians in Bay Area", some members have suggested good apartments, schools in Santa Clara/Sunnyvale area and also in MV area. I think with 2K budget, you should be able to find a 2 Bedroom Apt, If not you can always search for Sulekha, Craigslist and go for renting a condo/townhouse from individual owners in that rent range

3. emkaykay

emkaykay New IL'ite

Thank you.

I am currently looking at Santa Clara and Sunnyvale. Are there any online resources where I can see elementary schools nearby graded by ratings? I'm looking for schools that are not difficult to get into like public ones and later may be look for private ones.

4. Pranjjal

Pranjjal Gold IL'ite

All high API score schools are in Cupertino school district so choose the apt nearby them. If u r also working go for private school because extended day care rates are less.

Go through rent.com u will find few apts listed down there.

5. emkaykay

emkaykay New IL'ite

Thanks Pranjjal,

The thing is I am not looking for high rated schools instead, since I am moving next month, and the admissions to most high rated schools are closed (which I'm unsure but assuming) checking if there are schools that will be open to admission for this year starting August. If I can get into a private school that will be great though.

6. Pranjjal

Pranjjal Gold IL'ite

Though the enrollment is over still the chances are there to get the admission in home school. Call Challenger school, Stratford school, and champion school and ask them about admission in KG. These are private schools and they offer full day/half day KG program. In Some public schools also u can get admission. PM me if u have any ques.
    In order to send Private msg u need to complete 10 posts first.

1 person likes this.
  7. emkaykay

emkaykay New IL'ite

I have Challenger school on my list because I found an apartment at a 10 mins drive from there near East Palo Alto. Not sure if there are Indian stuff available around that area though - which is of course second priority.

8. Pranjjal

Pranjjal Gold IL'ite

Challenger school also hv branch in Sunnyvale I am in process of taking my son's admission there.

9. emkaykay

emkaykay New IL'ite

That's great. Sunnyvale is more close to Desi population, I didn't know about the branch. My kid is turning 5 this month so he's eligible, please do let me know how the admission process went (and if they have any final dates).

Thanks much.

10. emkaykay

emkaykay New IL'ite

Also, they have elementary in Sunny vale right? Just making sure.