1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Moving On..is It Really Possible?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by winterhue, Jun 29, 2023.

1. winterhue

winterhue Gold IL'ite

I live abroad and the in-laws are here for a short visit. Over the years, my issues with MIL's behavior have made me take the approach of "Least Contact". I dont call her, she doesnt call me, but there is no open hostility. We have never had a public showdown or argument. She avoids me, I avoid her.

It's easy to avoid her when they are in india, but when they are here for a visit - it makes things a bit tricky. I do the cooking early in the morning, before she comes to the kitchen. And I quietly vacate the kitchen as soon as she is around and retreat to my room or office. The house has enough space where we can live with minimum interaction and honestly, I don't mind that. She has made no efforts to come talk to me beyond the daily customaries either .

Then what is the problem, you ask?

Recently, she fell sick. Nothing major, just a fever and cough. My usual role in every relationship is that of a care giver. Meaning, if my friends /parents or sisters have a problem , instinctively I switch to the caregiver mode. I make food for them, I pamper them, call them if they are not near me and check on them etc. etc. With MIL, I have found myself not being able to instinctively switch over to caring. She is in my home , so I do the formal DIL check on her "are you ok? is the fever down?" etc.

But when I hear her coughing , I feel nothing.
    I don't want to go running and see if she needs anything.
    I don't even want to touch her to feel her temperature.
    I honestly don't care if she feels better other than the worry that her departure may be delayed if she becomes too sick to travel.

In addition to this, its also triggering me big time. I'm constantly reminded of how she mistreated me when I was down during my pregnancies, hospitalized and unable to function. She chose to kick me down with mean comments, created rifts between me and my H and even behaved horribly to my parents.

Over the years, she has never checked on me or called me if she heard I was sick. Her question usually is (to my H) "oh, is she sick? Then who will cook for you?".

While I thought I had moved on and lowered my expectations out of her, I am surprised at how much bitterness this is bringing out in me. While I don't wish any illness or suffering upon her, every time I see her "moping around " (she is an Oscar level actress) , I want to physically just tackle her and ask her "NOW do you understand how it feels when someone is mean to you when you are sick?".

I have undergone therapy, I wrote imaginary letters to her and did multiple CBT sessions to overcome my mental issues caused by her and honestly thought I was over the bitterness i carried for her. Apparently not.

So am I a terrible human being? Should I be consciously making an effort to care for her?

Dishaa, satchitananda and gamma50g like this.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

No, you’re doing fine. You have to protect your hard-won mental health. Just be polite to her and have your husband check in on her if anything more elaborate is required.

satchitananda and winterhue like this.
  3. gamma50g

gamma50g Gold IL'ite

Its the child's/children's duty to take care of their parents as a caregiver. Not a daughter-in-law/son-in-law. Period.

All you can do is support your husband in his caregiving for his parents.

Take care of yourself. Noone is worth spoiling your mental health.

winterhue likes this.
  4. NOW

NOW Gold IL'ite

Thanks for saying this ! I have this dilemma now and then as my husband tends to not be open with his own parents and then I end up getting manipulated or too much drama with in-laws. After many years I came to the conclusion I have to put aside my extrovert nature and caring personality with these set of people as it just fires back every single time. OP has a similar issue where the conflict between her original personality and the relationship with mil is causing her the stress and self doubt ! Hugs to you. Stand your ground and just imagine any Indian SIL in your shoes how they just get away with not talking to their in-laws at all.

gamma50g likes this.
  5. winterhue

winterhue Gold IL'ite

Yep! Hard-won is the key word here. Totally.

MalStrom likes this.
  6. winterhue

winterhue Gold IL'ite

Thanks! I think we all are conditioned over generations that somehow we are bad human beings if we have boundaries , especially with the in-laws. I guess I have more work to do to stay on track for my mental health.

gamma50g likes this.
  7. winterhue

winterhue Gold IL'ite

You hit the nail on the head! I dont think I have ever "not cared" about anyone as much as I have about my MIL , that it feels so out of sorts to me. Thanks for the re-affirmation. I feel so much better!

8. Dishaa

Dishaa Gold IL'ite

"She is in my home , so I do the formal DIL check on"

Dear Op,
    You are doing more than enough after how you were treated by them.

Please don't punish or feel self guilt about your emotions.

winterhue likes this.
  9. peet1983

peet1983 Silver IL'ite

revenge won't bring you peace of mind in any situation but a good heart can make miracles around. I think in your deep mind u owns a good heart but the past experience made to.you put some shield on to save your self .. and it's right action too. but it should not take over your true identity..and kind and heartful person to anyone..be yourself and enjoy that wonderful moments

winterhue likes this.
  10. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

Its quite normal to feel numb towards an abusive person due to past trauma's. Its a mechanism to protect you. So, pl dont feel bad about it. At the same time is this you. Involve your husband and also treat her like any other person. You feel this way because you are not able to forgive you or her. If we behave the same way like them, whats the difference between us and them. So, work on it for your well being. As she is sick do the best you can as she is staying with you. I feel you are doing your best. Dont expect anything back. Just do whatever that bring you peace and happiness without changing who you are.

winterhue likes this.