Moving from US to Södertälje , Sweden

Discussion in 'Europe - Other Areas' started by Shashi913, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Shashi913

Shashi913 New IL'ite

Hello everybody

I am Shashi from chennai, India.I am currently in US. I will be moving to Södertälje, Sweden along with my husband and 2 year old son there by the end of nov 2011. I am totally new to this place.

I would like to know information about Apartment rentals(furnished),preschool education for my 2 year old son ,indian grocery stores,temples and whether electrical items like mixer grinders bought in India will be suitable there.Are there Indians in Södertälje?

Would also like to know about the weather conditions?

Hoping to get a reply.

Best
    Shashi

2. DrKadambari

DrKadambari Gold IL'ite

Hi Shashi,

I have not lived in sweden but in other countries in Europe and now in US, so here is my experience.

People there dont speak so much of English but the kids schools would be wonderful and the teachers are very very polite and coridial and take great care of kids and the weather in Winter would be extremly cold. And you are going in Nov, so i would suggest you to buy good warm clothing. In Europe people use more of public transportation unlike here using cars all the time. So more of walking would be there and also the days would be shorter.

I guess sweden has the highest cost of living and therefore be ready everything would be highly expensive (am sure your hubby earns accordingly)

There would be one or two max of indian stores and yes mixi and electrical items from india work there as its 230V there unlike in US (unless u have got a converted mixi from india). and also the two pin plug point as in india is same there... And temples are seldom in Europe...

3. Shashi913

Shashi913 New IL'ite

Hello Kadambari,

Thankyou for your reply.The information you gave is very helpful.

Best
    Shashi

4. lotusgirl

lotusgirl Senior IL'ite

language - you can survive with English, though an effort to learn swedish if you are here for longer term will be really helpful and liked by the people :) ..
    climate - really cold.. but it all comes down to the right clothing :)
    daycares - its mainly playschool and regulated by the kommun. you have options of bilingual/english/swedish daycares, but the hours are very much dependant on whether both parents are working/studying/looking for work etc. if you are at home, then you are entitled to only limited hours at daycare. Check out specific rules for private daycares, as i am not 100% certain if hours alloted vary for them.. be prepared for long quueus before you get an admission, especially since the school yr is august/sept & you are coming in november
    grocery - plenty of asian/middle east/indian shops, especially since you are close to Stockholm.
    electrical items - 230 volts, so indian items will work, plug adapter to 2 pin would be useful , especially if you have plus which require earthed connection.
    house- this is the tricky/expensive part.. if your husbands company can help you out especially with finding a place, thats your best bet.. Stockholm is known for its notorious housing situation, but i am not so sure about your place.. furnished apmts are usually for short terms and everybody goes for unfurnished if here for a few yrs..

Another important thing is the personal number. this is your crucial thing for attaining any service.. from medical to schooling. So hope you have that sorted out.

this link might help if you havent come across it already -
    English - Södertälje

5. Shashi913

Shashi913 New IL'ite

Thankyou very much for your reply,the link you gave is very helpful.

Best
    Shashi