Motivation to go for a walk

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by geeta_sathish, Dec 20, 2007.

1. geeta_sathish

geeta_sathish Senior IL'ite

Dear all expecting mommies,

Doc keeps saying I have to go for a walk of minimum 30 minutes each day. I am on week 20 and have not been following this advice regularly. Some days feel too tired to walk and some days am just being too lazy. I am beginning to worry about labor now as my body lacks flexibility and have already started developing discomfort and low back pain and breathlessness.

Can we all support and motivate each other to follow our exercise schedule everyday??

We can start with a simple daily update on how long we walked each day. If we do any other yoga or pregnancy workouts, we can share that as well..

I would definitely do much better if I have company and motivation. How about you?

Take care and stay healthy.

2. maha

maha Senior IL'ite

Hi Geetha,

Seems like u r much worried instead be more concerned for the baby...so stop worrying and take concern of ur baby...

I think walking helps a lot in regulating our weight and muscle stretch along with our diet intake...my hubby says that walking will help the cervix muscles to be flexible and ease our labor..personally in my case i dont go for walk alone, but go along with my hubby...this will not make u feel as if u r doing a gr8 task, instead walking becomes a happy bonding..

Going to the park may not be possible on all days, so u can walk within ur house for 15 minutes...

For breathing exercises u can follow yoga and pranayama....this will help a long way.. Also start talking to ur baby, hope u will be doing already..This gives confidence and support to both the mom and the baby..

as pavithra said in the other thread, if weight becomes a concern, then might be u should cut down ur naps in the afternoon..

Sure, we can all support each other..so dont worry..tsk

As of now, its Eid holidays here, so i am just doing my walk in the malls instead of parks...

Take Care...

3. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Dear Geeta

The motivation for the walk should come from the fact that your baby's health is more important and you should kind of force yourself to do it.I am currently in my 30th week and do the treadmill 5 days a week,I do about a mile each day on the treadmill i.e. at the rate of 1 mile in 30 minutes.On the weekends,since I end up doing grocery shopping etc,I walk during that time and therefore I do not do any separate exercise during weekends.

While on the treadmill,I switch on the TV and watch some interesting program and that helps a lot,I don't get bored.Maybe you can try the same.I stay in a town home complex and there is a gym provided.So I make full use of the facility.

4. geeta_sathish

Hi Maha and Sunitha,

Thanks a lot for the wonderful suggestions.

Even in our community, there is a fitness center, but as its crowded I do not get an opportunity to use it much. But I will take your advice and try going during the noon time when the crowd will be less.

As you know, its winter here and gets dark around 5 PM. As DH comes home later than that, it becomes difficult to go for a walk with him on weekdays. Also, very cold outside, so may be thats what is preventing me from stepping out.

So, I have decided from today that when I say vishnu sahasranamam everyday (I recite it along with MS CD - It takes about 30 minutes from start to finish) I will walk inside the house and recite it, so I will end up walking for 30 minutes. But I am going to go to the fitness center in the noon time and see anyways. Thanks for the good idea.

Take care. 30 weeks means your closer to the seeing and holding your baby than me. The wait is becoming impossible isn't it??

5. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

To tell you the truth Geeta,I have a 5 yr old brat at home who keeps me kind of busy most of the time.So,I am really not finding the wait impossible this time like it was the first time but yes,I am waiting to let go off the weight that I am carrying around:queen

6. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

hi geetha, i've never been to the US but have heard that car is the main mode of transportation. so you've to find other ways to 'walk', i suppose;) we live in Munich city and i don't have a driving license so i depend on public transport for everything. i drop my son everyday at his play school for which i need to take a train 3 busstops away (1km). instead of taking the bus i walk that distance 4 times in a day... to n fro. and also when i go for shopping i get off from the tram a stop or two before and walk the remaining distance. it's sometimes frustrating in winter when i long for the warmth inside home but from past experience (read first pregnancy) i know that i've to force myself to do this walking... otherwise i'm very bad with gym or any such courses. most of the time i pay the fees and don't go at all. but as sunitha says my 33 month old keeps me on my toes all the time:)

7. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

You are welcome to participate in our workput daily support group
    Its purpose is to support each other
    Check it out and Good Luck

8. geeta_sathish

Hi Traveller,

Good to hear that you are somehow managing to get the required walking exercies into your routine. I personally feel that if you have a toddler at home, then you don't need to do any kind of extra workouts.:queen. Your little one will keep you running all the time.

I have successfully managed to bring walking into my routine everyday. Today I walked for 40 minutes. I am a slow walker, so I increased the minutes from 30 to 40, so that I could cover the distance I had on mind without feeling too tired.
    I felt a little breathless towards the end, but I am sure I will get used to it in a week.

All moms-to-be - Please keep up your exercise routine as much as possible. I have read many many benefits of regular walking during pregnancy.

Take care.

9. geeta_sathish

Dear AC,

Thanks for sharing info about the support group in this thread. We will definitely visit it and get the required encouragement from all the ladies who religiously workout everyday.

Take care.