1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Motivation of a different kind!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Barnowl
    I do appreciate your view point. Times keep changing and so are the attitudes. In my childhood days, we spent more time with our neighbors than in our own house. Today, I do not even know the names of my fellow dwellers in my flat! In the past, when we travelled by train, we became so close with our fellow passengers that our eyes brimmed with tears when it was time to say goodbye at the destination. To day, we do not even talk to our fellow passengers! I do not think that we need to consider that the past customs were barbaric merely because of the changed circumstances in which we live now.

That teacher's murder was an appalling commentary on the pressures of life. What is even more appalling is that the people concerned are trying to sweep the whole sordid episode under the carpet. This is moral degradation of the highest order!
    Sri

2 people like this.
  2. Cheeniya

Dear Barnowl
    This only goes to show how age has blunted my skill of judging people! When I first read in newspapers that Warren Buffet was pleading lenience towards Rajat Gupta I squirmed in my ample seat. Reading what you have written about him makes me feel very silly indeed! Damn these facades particularly of human beings! How misleading they are!
    Sri

3. PriyaKathiravan

PriyaKathiravan Silver IL'ite

The last sentence is very true. So very true. Because, it bears within it the hidden fact that successful people are internally wired with configurations (not given to all ), to achieve their goal , come what may . The success is always "INSPITE" of what others say , not "BECAUSE" of what they say. So a positive support ( think : Hanuman from our mythological movies, expanding to cosmic proportions as a gang of garish extras sing his praises in deafening chorus) is no more/less beneficial than a negative motivation (think : the recently popular story of Mary Kom) .
    We people love well fleshed -out legends, with copious dramatic explanations for everything. And some pop-psychology , as chaat-masala on top , is always welcome for its feel-good value.
    "This person Succeeded in achieving a goal, period" is hardly a story to chew the cud over. So bring on the background facts ( happy or unhappy , no matter) and lets build some atmosphere to dress up the fact ! Thats the way we like it !
    My motivation can only be me ,myself. This is a personal truth that I discovered.

4. Cheeniya

My dear Priya
    At least I motivated you to write this fabulous feedback! So every rule has an exception including yours as spelt out in your last sentence! But seriously and honestly (I can be honest even when I am not jovial), I agree with that internal wiring thingy. It is very true. Otherwise such fantastic motivational stories will flood the platforms of Luz Corner. The very fact that they are rare gives credence to your internal wiring with configurations theory.

Take my Lenovo for example. Sometimes it boots in less than ten seconds but most of the time it takes ages. My grand daughter suggested that I should switch it on and move away and it would boot instantly. My sitting there and looking at the PC with lot of concern and anxiety is probably putting it off, she says! I tried this recipe but there was no change in the erratic behavior of the PC. It means that my presence or absence means nothing to my Lenovo. QED

But coming back to your point, there is nothing wrong in garnishing a stuff to make it look great, you know. In any case, as it passes from the oral cavity to the esophagus, it is going to be stripped off to its barest details. Will anyone even look at it if it is served in the shape that it will acquire as it travels through the esophagus?

Did Hanuman really need Jambhavan to motivate him? Maybe Hanuman wanted a little credit to go to his bear ally. Despite that, our references to bears in our poojas are always derisive!
    I think I have rambled too much for the day!
    Sri

5. Ramar

Ramar Silver IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya (sorry not sure of calling as Sir or madam), a very wonderful post and I had a splash of my childhood memories while reading your post. In fact, one thing was surprising to notice,I never thought the negative assessment of parents' would be such a common thing..I used to think that it happens only at my house :). To comment on the motivation part, it really helps you to turn deaf to unwanted sounds of this world, otherwise which makes you loose temper, feel depressed and paves way to all Negative things. Mainer times, it would be like watching a muted TV. Growing up in Triplicane, gave a chance to inherit lot of values, understand your culture and tradition more. Thank you for the beautiful post.

6. Cheeniya

Dear Ramar
    This must be your first encounter with my Ramblings. If so, a hearty welcome to you! In fact, more people listening to my rambling make me ramble more. Just forget calling me Sir or Madam. Simple cheeniya is good enough!

That's a good observation from you that the negative assessment of parents is a common thing. Particularly so in the middle class families. But having said that, I must hasten to add that when these parents talk to the neighbours about their kids, they are painted like a Super Man in the making. All these negative sentiments are employed only within the four walls of the family and used as a weapon to guard against the likelihood of the kid making any demands on them. When that happens, they'll say, "Nee modalle ozhunga padi, appuram paakkalam!"

Growing up in Triplicane was a fabulous experience. I would pray on the lines of Appar Swamigal, 'Puzhuvai pirakkinum, thiruvallikkeniyil pirakka varam tharal vendum!'
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  7. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Anna dear true negative sentiments and gibles is a motivating tool for some. My younger brother was very naughty in his young age and has received niminda pazam from my grandmother manytimes. He was not much interested in studying and moreinterested in going for the premium show on Fridays. My grandmother's scoldings became blessings for him in his later life.

Though he studied only till X std. he got an opportunity to join our Office and there from a godown clerk raise to the level of Depot Manager. He got a loving wife who is an all rounder . Though she came from Kerala without knowing much about outside world, living in different cities due to the transfer my brother used to get in his Company she was in Patna, Bombay, Madras, Lucknow and then after he retired in Bombay again. So from every place she learnt a lot and became all rounder. Our Vice President used to praise him a lot.

My brother has two daughters and he got them married to a good family and spent lavishly for their marriage with his only salary. He has a lovely wife and two lovely daughters and he has been successful in life. Now even after retirement he is working as an advisor in an Insurance Company. I think he could raise to this level all because of the blessings of my grandmother. If she was there she would have been veryhappy to see him.

Wish you and your family a Happy and Prosperous Diwali my dear Anna

8. Cheeniya

My dear Viji
    I thank you for your warm and loving Diwali greetings and wish you a great and memorable Diwali!
    Your younger brother's success story is a very interesting one and makes a great example of whatever I tried to communicate in my OP. The love and affection deeply inherent in the grandparents' scoldings make them indeed a blessing. That's the reason why the recipients of their scoldings prosper so much in their later life!
    I do hope your DH is completely back to normal. Kindly convey my special enquiries and good wishes to him.
    Sri

1 person likes this.