1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Motivation of a different kind!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Mar 10, 2007.

1. shreyasri

shreyasri New IL'ite

dear sir,

to all of you who rose from the grass-roots of triplicane to booking your passage in advance to Sweden:

sir, you have accredited your father with his 'fond compliments'(!) for the high-profile you acquired. perhaps, you have forgotten a couple other things to attribute:
    - no.1, the education you received under the stern vigilance of the 'panchakacham vathiars' at Hindu High School;

- no.2, the long,narrow houses in thiruvallikeni, adoringly reckoned as 'pura-koondu' or 'ondu-kudithanam', with their poor ventilation were what instigated your survival instinct; that is to say, "payaley,get out of here! adhukku padikkanum!"

today, the kids won't take any negative comments- they are simply disheartened when told to be a barber. we try the carrot & stick trick-they like the carrot, despise the stick.

idhudhaan manidhanin parinama valarchiya?

2. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Enjoyed reading your musings about life and times of Triplicane. Your childhood does sound out of another world.
    But it is each to his own. I am sure that the children of today will grow up and in the not so far future, will look back and say how innocent and sweet their childhood was?! Surely, today's TVs and Computers will be collector's items of tomorrow. Progress must take place, time cannot be stopped. But what all of us have to remember is that it is up to us to see that our little ones are left with sweet nothings for them to cherish and look back upon with a smile.
    That child, no matter when and where his childhood was spent, is the fortunate being.

L, Kamla

1 person likes this.
  3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shreya
    I see you for the first time in my forum and thank you for joining the band wagon!:)

I wonder if you have read 'Ape and Essence' by Aldous huxley, a marvellous piece of writing. He discusses the world after the Third war, a completely destructive nuclear war at that when man has to start all over again!

As you have rightly pointed out, as we progress particularly with the technological explosion, things do change. Children have to be equipped with resources to deal with newer exigencies, stiffer competition. It necessarily follows that the style of upbringing will have to change too.

But in the last sixty years, as far as I can remember, everything remains the same in Triplicane! Parinama valarchi pathikkadha idam Tiruvallikkeni onragathan irukka mudiyum. Irundum, pasanga veluthu kattikonduthan irukkanga. Nowhere else you can see such self motivation!
    Sri

4. Cheeniya

Dear Kamla
    How well you have put it!
    If our children can look back with pleasure and if possible gratitude about the way they were brought up by us, we can be at peace with ourselves that we have discharged our parental duty very well.
    I must tell you this. Though one would think that the stern ways of Triplicane parents might leave their children with bitter memories, I can categorically state it is not so! We all knew the under current of love and great concern behind all the caning we received. The same murattuthanam could also be seen when they were in a petting mood!:)
    Sri

5. shreyasri

shreyasri New IL'ite

dear sir,

i am much delighted to read your articles on your sub-forum. they remind me of the not-so -serious talks on the 'thinnai'. unfortunately, i could enjoy those for just a few yrs of my early lfe. alas,they have given way to the ever-growing madness of the cities! when i see multi-storeyed apts today, they appear to me like 'vertical streets within streets'.

the 'thinnai' talks, coated with humour, gave an intellectual blend of the past & present to us kids, who were silent listeners,of course. i think, we are the most unfortunate generation to have seen very little of those days and all on a sudden, being put thru' a tremendous transition to the present form of life, where we have to seek 'intangible thinnais' on the net.

nice of u to suggest a good book that you enjoyed. third war seems inevitable and certainly humans will have to commence afresh from the ruins caused by themselves. but, the thought of a war sends chills down my spine ,after having seen iraq,afghan,sudan,lebanon.....also closer home,of late.

so, i ease out by seeking solace in extremely harmless, innocent creations of classic-authors like elizabeth gaskell. do u know of more creators of the gaskell -type,please?

looking forward to much more of your ramblings!

regards.

Last edited: May 23, 2007
  6. Cheeniya

Dear Shreya
    I can understand how much you must be missing the chennai-type of life particularly of the middle class folks. Even today there will be a crowd of old guys, mostly retired school teachers, discussing national and international events threadbare. All those Kumbakonam Seeval stores of Mylapore are the rallying points for this learned crowd. If you dont mind your dress getting splashed with the red betal spit, just stand there and listen to them. It will be marvellous and scholarly! You would think that if only Fords and Blairs took advice from these folks what a grand trouble free world this will be!
    If you have not read AJ Cronin, you must try some of his novels. They will go very well with your taste
    Sri

7. meenu

meenu Bronze IL'ite

Dear cheeniya,
    I fully agree with our friends here that flattery takes a person nowhere. he overestimates himself like our cricket team. But criticism though unwelcome makes a person aware of his failings and he bounces with determination to disprove it. I think it is human nature to want to do what critics say you are not capable of. A very realistic post indeed.
    Regards,
    Meenu

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  8. Cheeniya

Dear Meenu
    Criticism can be a very effective tool if it is not stretched to the point of mindless fault finding! It should be healthy, gentle and not very hurting. If the elders in Triplicane get rewarded for their way of handling their wards, it is because they are quite aggressive in emoting, be it when they show their affection or anger. They are very simple and their concern for others comes out vividly no matter what they or do!
    sri

9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri Sir
    I forgot to mention in my earlier posts that your articles draw a smile as I absorb the deep message they impart.
    You have that delightful light-hearted tone that makes me recall the gopulu cartoons that featured in the yesteryears Deepavali malars!
    This is another where I can see the Triplicane aunt chiding her young son sporting a military-cropped hair flying kite on the road with those words you mentioned above!
    At first I thought the Nobel prize aspirant was Dr. Chandrasekar but looking at the date it must be someone else! Did he win it?
    I have not seen the miracle man - it is on my list now!
    The last para is a profile on my husband! He is like that too! I learnt that to have him not do something I just ask him to do it! :)!

10. Cheeniya

Dear Kamala
    Stories of my Triplicane days never fail to thrill me. My friend never won the Nobel but pocketed several other awards with consummate ease. Incidentally the father of the highly popular movie star 'Sidhdharth' was my classmate and a very close friend of mine!

Water and air can become very productive when under heavy pressure. Mothers of Triplicane just applied this technology to motivate their children those days. I really do not know if they still do so or have changed in keeping with the modern trend. I sincerely hope that they remain the same!
    Sri