1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mother's-in-law Day!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Mar 7, 2007.

1. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello sri

whats going on....?
    athe thalaippa
    ennru thigaikka
    i find my answer
    on the first page first....

whatever it is sri
    mils are the best topic
    whereever
    and IL is also one such..

kondattam thaan
    intha re run kku
    irukkum replies
    almost three pages
    first slot kku irukkavillaye...

give her(MIL) a chance
    ladies and gentleman
    enru
    sollamal sollivitteergal...
    irunthaalum pona varudam
    kondadavillaya 28/10?

sathya

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satya
    I did not repost this! How would I considering all the MIL-bashing that goes on here?!
    Thanks for visiting it again and grace it with your poetic reply in your inimitable style!
    Sri

3. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear cheeniya sir,

i hope it is ok to dig up old posts..whenever i feel the need for a dose of humor,i turn to your blogs and i am happy to say i never return disappointed.....
    i loved this post...why not indeed but i always thought anyone who celebrated mothers day with great fanfare would do so for the MIL also or at least make sure that the spouse does something special for his/her mother.

i loved it when u said your mother and mil are like sisters..even when i was a kid my friends house,both her grandmothers used to always visit at the same time so that they would have each others company...i used to find it so nice..

and u exactly echo my thoughts when u mention that it is a tear jerker when there is a hitler mil and a sufferring dil but a comedy when it is a timid sil and a stern mil...Big Laugh.why so,i have never understood

In all these cases, have you noticed one significant factor? The father-in-law is always a non-entity. He usually belongs to the opposition but does not want to profess so openly. In the midst of sinister episodes, he remains hidden behind The Hindu making every one wonder what exactly is his role in the entire drama. He has a good word for his daughter-in-law when his wife is not around. He wears perpetually that caged- rat look. If you ask me, he is the one who ought to be figuring in all the jokes. The irony of it all is that the entire servant folk of the house, though paid by the husband, remain on the side of the lady in command.

:rotfl:rotflso agree with u, actually i realized that i have never even
    noticed the fil in such movies..surely he deserves more credit:rotfl

very entertaining post sir
    regards
    Mindi

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  4. Cheeniya

Dear Mindi
    To tell you the truth, it is double ok for you to dig my old posts!
    That gives me a chance to reassess my thinking on the subject and if I have any new thoughts I can always add them to my replies! I am glad you like this post and are generally in agreement with the views expressed!

My 95 year old mum and 85 year mil are not only like sisters but they profess so and call each other so! If you think that this bonhomie has been brought about by their advanced age, I must tell you that they have remained so ever since my marriage 41 years back in 1967! Of course, there was an initial period of mutual caution and an attempt at 'oneupmanship' or should I say 'one up womanship' but they did not take too long to settle down!

Fil is like the background music of a movie. You notice it only in horror scenes and when there is intense pathos. In normal scenes, it goes totally unnoticed!
    Sri

5. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya Sir

Glad to know that your mil and mother are like sisters. Very rarely you can find like this. It will be great to celebrate MIL's day and MIL will be also very happy when she is given importance which she always needs.

My MIL was there only for two years after my marriage. My husband was her pet and she was very possessive of him as he was born after five daughters. My husband used to say that she and me are like his two eyes.
    He has to give importance to both of us. So he used to keep both of us happy and I also as far as possible used to adjust with her. A woman should know the knack of winning her MIL's heart. Then she can live happily with her.

Regards
    Viji

6. Padmasrinivas

Padmasrinivas Silver IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya sir,

I too am in the habit of digging up your old posts, this time Mindi pipped me to the post! (pun intended)...

I rather like the idea of celebrating MIL's Day, guess why?
    Two reasons, first and most important, my MIL (who passed away 4 years ago), was a delightful person, quite unlike the much-maligned, stereo-typical figure portrayed in films and TV serials. She considered me as her daughter, I fine-tuned the art of cooking tasty dishes with her help, the difference between materialism and spirituality, her timely quotes from the Bhagavad-Gita guiding me in times of distress or doubt. Oh-oh, this is getting a bit too serious, specially after your humourous blog on MILs, I'd better change tracks...

The second reason: I am now a MIL in my own right and quite happy to declare it from the rooftops! I do not in any way qualify to play the role of the cliched Saas in the Saas-bahu serials, Thank God! You have my dear DIL to vouch for me (have no fear, I haven't bribed or softened her up in any way!).

(Cheeniya Sir, my dear departed FIL was a complete anti-thesis of the 'hiding behind the Hindu' model, we used to tremble when he roared!)

BTW, you have 2 years on me by way of our respective WA...

Padma

7. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear Sri,

I cant say about Oppressive MIL and poor SIL... or MIL and DIL.... I couldnt control my laugh, when you said about the FIL... hahahaahahaha... I enjoyed the movie... Poova thalaya... would have seen atleast a dozen times... hahahahahaha...

But I agree with you in full, that we should have MIL' Day...

Veda

8. Cheeniya

Dear Viji
    You have indeed given a wonderful recipe for the peaceful coexistence of MIL and DIL. in your statement that " A woman should know the knack of winning her MIL's heart. Then she can live happily with her."

I find from time to time serious grievances being expressed in this forum about the MIL-DIL relationship and suggestions given by other ILites about how to deal with such problems. Persons like you who have successfully handled this issue in their lives must provide detailed tips for combating this growing menace!
    Sri

9. Cheeniya

Dear Padma
    For many of the ILites who are weighed down with the pressures of overbearing MILs, hearing you talk of your MIL in such a wonderful way must come as both a surprise and a welcome change. What is more significant is your own commitment to treat your DIL on the level. It is nice to see that the excellent relationship that you had with your MIL is reflected in your own relationship with your DIL.

A roaring father in law must surely rank as the Eighth Wonder of the World! Whenever I open my mouth to roar, it comes out as a mere whimper! Of course I do make up for this deficiency in me through some loud sneezing occasionally and I feel better!

Nice to hear that you are not far behind in our WA!
    Sri

10. Cheeniya

Dear Veda
    In agreeing with my suggestion in full, you have proved yet again that great men think alike but Shanthi might put it the other way!
    Sri