1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mother's-in-law Day!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Oh Kamalji
    You have now opened the Pandora's Box by agreeing with my suggestion! Now we'll have to face it. Jointly of course!:mrgreen:
    Sri

2. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

You know my answer to silent hubby or fil - diplomatic cowardice (as I previously mentionned on another thread of yours). With regard to mil's day - as every mil is a mom too, if they are really worthy of receiving a heartfelt gift from dil then I'm sure the dil found it in her heart to celebrate her mil and mom on the same day. ;-) Same with fil and dad.

-L.

geeta79 likes this.
  3. Cheeniya

Dear Lavanya
    I cant agree with you more on that point. Whoever it is, father, mum, fil, mil and what have you, they must make themselves worthy of such celebration. What's the point in fighting for 364 days in a year and celebrating a special day on the 365th?
    Sri

4. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri,
    It is the media which is more responsible for MIL bashing.
    The TV soaps project her as a "highly made-up" lady with nothing but malice.
    I still remeber the stories of the old-timer (writer) Lakshmi, who always used to treat the MIL like a "vittaenaa paar" character in her serials, Mithila Vilas, specially.
    I request you to read some of the posts in our own forum & judge for yourself. I wonder if there is even one thread where a MIL complains about her DIL. It is always the reverse.
    Some statements by DILs are
    Mil is the devil in madisar.
    Mil is very bitchy
    I want put my MIL in a tower with no windows or air or water or food.

Please read my blog
    Then and Now ! - IndusLadies

You will know, what we are now.
    Ofcourse, if you had your MIL in mind when you wrote this :hide:
    I will not pass a comment because it is your wife's prerogative to enjoy your sarcasm or to take you to task! :biggrin2:
    Love,
    Chithra.

5. corallux

corallux Bronze IL'ite

Dear Cheeniyaji,

A very noble thought. Ask me who had no MIL to protect or teach me the "ropes" , life is hell. Pardon my pun but even the dog on the street became my MIL.

For me mother's day is not just for the biological mother. It is a celebration of all womanhood. I certainly thought of my late MIL today. Cannot do anything except ask for her continuous guidance & blessings on us all....

I really feel sorry for those ladies & gents who have a dragon of a MIL. But I am sure, it works out in the long run.....

I am sure my peers in IL may feel : Oh she has no MIL so it is easy to preach. But no, think of it like this ladies, with a MIL, you have only one target to please. Once she is on your side, no one can take you for granted...

My thoughts....

Regards,

Corallux

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  6. Cheeniya

Dear Chithra
    Thanks a lot for your FB which has removed all my doubts about my mil (who is 88 living with me incidentally) I feel sorry that I could see her in her true perspective only after 40 years of married life. Everyone who gets married must remember that he is not only marrying a girl but marrying into a whole family. It is like joining a new college. There will be initial ragging but thereafter, the ragged becomes a ragger!Big Laugh
    Sri

7. corallux

corallux Bronze IL'ite

Dear Chithraji,

Your comments reflect what the Social watchers from TISS (Tata Institute of Social Sciences) commented on a popular Hindi Serial...

The DIL of the house is shown as an aggressive lady who refuses to obey her MIL & other elders...Sociologists termed this as the rise of a new Alpha female who puts her interests forward even if it means overriding the authority of the head of the family...

As my mom says, we have it better now with financial independence etc. During her time, the MIL held the whip . She was away from her MIL thanks to dad's job hence she says they could have a friendly relationship...

I agree with your observation regarding the impact it has on the social & Cultural fabric of India.

Regards,

Corallux

8. Cheeniya

Dear Corralux
    'Dragon of a MIL' is indeed very expressive! Spitting fire through the nostrils primarily and through other outlets in the face if needed. But when I see them in folk dances and cartoons, I find them quite endearing and cant help feeling warm towards them. My attitude towards MIL is also the same. The scarier they look, the warmer I feel towards them.
    But seriously, your point is well made. When we can adjust so much with others while travelling, while in office and elsewhere, why do we find coping with one single individual so difficult? Looks like if I write a book on 'How to tame a monster of a MIL', it would sell like hot cake!
    Sri

9. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

Sure we can celebrate MIL day. It can be observed as the International Silence Day. When we have utmost respect for a person, we simple defer to all their wishes by being silent. No words spoken at all. So everything on this day will be through silence.

No MIL can issue orders to her DIL. No DIL can lash back at the MIL's insensitivity. No SIL need to gnash his teeth. There will be silence everywhere. Peace and harmony will return to all homes atleast for a day. Do'nt ask me what will happen on the next day?

10. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Cheeniya sir,
    Why not....atleast for that day....she will be happy..receiving gifts from her dils or sils....complaining and comparing gifts is a different issue..Rant.it can wait till the next day isn't it...Big Laugh

sriniketan