1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mother's house why not parent's house

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, Sep 19, 2015.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

The other day someone had posted in FB Ganeshji celebrations at my mother's house. I was thinking why we do not say parent's house. After marriage when the daughter comes to her parent's house, she will tell I am going to my mother's house. Actually its the father's house, after he gets married mother and father together make it ahome and after the children are born its everyone' house. They make the house a sweet home

[h=1]If there's one place we all long to go, It's home. There's no place like it. Home is where our heart can be found, Even if we're miles away.[/h]

In olden days it was very difficult to own a house due to financial problems. But now a days children earn well and they get loan also to buy own house and when any alliance comes for them , the girl's parents would want to know about hisjob, whether he owns a house, whether it is well furnished. If the son buys a house the parents dont want to leave the house where they had lived for a long time. In case the father dies the mother would like to stay in that house only. They have so many memories in that house.

When I got married we first stayed in a chal. But it has happy memories there though it was a small house. Then we bought a house with pagdi that house also has sweet memories and ahve conducted somany functions in that house.

Everyone loves there parent's house because they have their childhood memories there. .

I dont know whether I have written is wrong but I just felt and would like to have your opinion and comments . I did not know how to narrate

7 people like this.

2. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Nice post vijima

1 person likes this.
  3. iyerviji

Thanks for your superfast feedback @sindmani dear

sindmani likes this.
  4. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Mayka....belongs to Maaji :)
    Sasural...belong to sasurji :-o

Viji Ma'am ....maybe because it was the mother who made it a home while the father was busy being the provider of the house.

sindmani, yesican, Harini73 and 2 others like this.
  5. iyerviji

Good answer @yellowmango dear . Viji Ma kush huyi

1 person likes this.
  6. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Good question Vijima. Agree with you, it is the parental home.

1 person likes this.
  7. Sindhujaft

Sindhujaft Gold IL'ite

@iyerviji Mam, we usually say Mother land, Mother tongue, etc., so I think in that way we all say it's Mother's house... I know it's a kind of silly ans...:p But the moment I read ur question this ans hits on my mind

2 people like this.
  8. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

After marraige , when woman goes to to her parents home, she looks for and wants mother company.
    And wants mothers help in different phases of her life like pregnany, delivery, tips on rising children, cooking tips , or any family problem comes also wants to share with mother only.
    So mother is most needed one here. So based on the need, I guess we say mothers home instead of parents place.

sasural - when woman gets married, olden days it's all sasur's joint family, and sasur's business and home and property, which was seen to get married off their daughter. Sasur's son is still under his father , in family business or any other work. See here money and property is important thing. So people were saying sasural and still it continues I guess.

3 people like this.
  9. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Good Question Vijima. But I would have been the strangest one to always quote 'Dads home'. I am reminded of these lines 'thaai veedu pol illai ingu thaalaatta aal illai' from Naanaaga naan illai thaaye ... Nal vaazhvu thandhaaye neeye... An old Tamil song. Hope you have recovered and doing well

2 people like this.
  10. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Dear @iyerviji Sister,

A thought provoking question.

A child naturally and traditionally belongs to mother. Not to father. It is the man's way of changing nature that made the concept of parents. When we are in doubt what is nature's design and how man," modified the due to his what we call,' sixth sense'. Here, let us not go into the question of whether modification is good or bad. All progress of humanity is due to man's desire to change nature's design.

In the case of ownership of offspring,

In almost all animals in the sea and land, it is the mother who takes care of the baby. The monogamous -co- living birds jointly take care to some extent. The most advanced animals in intelligence and evolution nature has given the responsibility of taking care and growth only to,'Female' of the species.

If you look our natural ancestors, the 'Primates', the baby monkey is tolerated and accepted by father but, not 'taken care'.

This applies to humanoids. So even today, the societies which are less affected by the "man- developed- logic of equality etc, and that follows the older traditions it is the "mother" to whom an offspring looks for attachment. This explains various happenings and behaviors in families even today.

In Tamil there is a saying," Thaai kaata Thanthai Aridhal"( it is the mother who introduces the father). In Kerala, ( which retains most of the ancient Tamil culture) till recently it was the matriarchal system of transfer of family property.

In UK, even today the laws have not changed. The custody of a child and its responsibility automatically goes to the mother in case of divorce settlements, unless challenged. Of course, these days father will have to provide for the maintenance.

So, it is "Mother House", "Mother Tongue", Motherland". Except, of course for Germans," It is Father Land".

I enjoyed your snippet dear Sister.

2 people like this.