1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Morning musings, this time around!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Srama, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

[JUSTIFY]
    Just as I think I am getting over the jet lag and had a good 6hr sleep, I am woken up by the sweeping noises coming from outside. I know the maid is here and so force myself up to wake up and enter the kitchen groggily. As I get used to the light from the windows, I yawn and look through the wide windows only to be stared back by an old wall, some stains on that wall and even an older, perhaps broken ladder. Those windows let the cats in, the loud noise from the neighbour's TV in, but never ever even a peek of the sky! I shake my head and perk up again as I hear a cuckoo sing it's morning song. Brightening up I look round with renewed enthusiasm. I begin to take note of what needs to be done. The dishes to be cleaned, the water to be filled in the pitcher followed by emptying the water filter and the boiling of water. My thoughts are interrupted by the cawing of the crows and with a smile I feel that sound is better than the sudden noise that pierces through when a scooter goes by. I realize I am still glad that it is that once in a while moving vehicle that startles me and not the honking of a bus every hour or so that I hear through out the night! I am told, a new pick up spot has just popped up close by and yes, finally I have learnt to sleep through that! And just as I smile at the thought of sleeping through all the activity, I am reminded of the bells from the temple near by that lets us know it is time to wake up, every morning without fail.

After all the tasks, as I get ready to make my morning cup of coffee, I continue to survey my little kitchen. I feel a sudden pang when I realise how much I have wanted to live in this house. How I thought I belonged. And why not? Through the constant move of my adolescent life, this house has always been there. Come to think of it, I have seen this house more constantly than I have seen any other house. I do not have much attachment to the places I have lived in for there have been many, but this house has been different. It has always been special, many wonderful memories are attached to the house, especially the kitchen! As I continue to muse, I hear my kids making small movements in the bed indicating they are ready to wake up and finally that smile comes back! I realize now what I wanted then does not matter any more. It is what my kids want and I am happy to do just what keeps them happy. Yes, they are missing home and I am too! Come to think of it, I have always been a guest in this kitchen and continue to be. Finally, I am happy to be just that and finally it feels like I have figured a puzzle out. Now I can look out of that window with a smile and memories!
    [/JUSTIFY]

15 people like this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Sabita dear wonderful post as always. Will come back with my fb later as now I am going to sleep.I am not saying going for a nap because I might sleep for an hour or more

3. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sabs
    You have captured my feelings every time I go to India.
    I love every second of staying there, living the life I grew up.
    All this stops when I realize that to my kids, US is home and I have to come back to give them that comfort and security for them to grow up.

I enjoyed the morning sounds you have described so vividly. Having been in India just a few weeks ago i recall the familiar sounds.
    Have a wonderful vacation1

4 people like this.
  4. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sabita,

Wherever we may live in the world in some corner of mind there is a place to which we have a sense of belonging. We may call it home where we live, it is, but still there is a little place which we long for. It may not be the most beautiful or enchanting place....it is ours. Our place is made up of memories associated with it.
    I always live in India. Sometimes go abroad. Recently I was in London for a few months. When I came back a couple of months back to my home how thrilled I was!!!! No words to describe. Noise, not so clean roads (I don't want to use the word dirty), interfering neighbours, less privacy...nothing bothers. After staying in absolute silence for a while all these are like music to me. I can understand value of these things only when I miss them. How true it is in connection with people also? We understand their value when we miss them. No use in regretting then. I love Hyderabad and the place I live. No other place comes anywhere near to it!!!!

Thank you Sabita. We are frequently touching mental wavelengths, I guess.

Syamala

5 people like this.
  5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thank you Viji aunty for stopping by! Will look forwardto hearing back from you!

6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Kamala,

nice to have you back! Does it sound weird if I say welcome back after the holiday from India? Still, welcome back. Can't wait to catch up with you. I know you will get what I am writing exactly :) Thank you for your feedback and reassurance you feel the same way. I do hope to have a good vacation.

1 person likes this.
  7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Syamala,

thank you for such a lovely feedback and expressing so well what you feel! I agree to everything you said and I do believe home is where the heart is and even though I believe we can make a home whereever we are, certain memories are too strong and keep drawing us towards them. Happy to note that you love your beloved Hyderabad so much. Each time I come back, I have never felt that I do not belong here - surroundings never, people sometimes, yes I do feel there is a difference. Just a matter of couple of days and everything likes like routine and normal. It is now that kids are more expressive and when they look around in wonder and have questions and observe, that is when I feel how different this world must be for them. Thankfully they have never expressed any dislike so far!

1 person likes this.
  8. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Welcome to India Sabitha. It must certainly be somewhat strange to suddenly have to re-orient oneself from open spaces, quiet, orderliness to crowds, the clutter of a large city and the total chaos around. But then as you say, it is still home as in one made of memories. I guess all NRIs go through this dilemma.

You are lucky to have kids who are naturally curious and absorb what they see around them. That is sufficient, I guess, to keep them occupied for the short while they are here.

Have an enjoyable time here and hoping to see you soon. :-D

1 person likes this.
  9. outofthebox

outofthebox Platinum IL'ite

Welcome home !

I liked the way you have described each and every sound that caught your ear at the start of your vacation :-D I am not sure I could have done justice to describe these sounds as welcoming ones, but I guess "home sweet home" does the trick always!

Hope you enjoy your vacation :-D

1 person likes this.
  10. zainabsarfraz

zainabsarfraz Platinum IL'ite

The first day after reaching India its sooo special everything you see you will feel ahhh how much i was missing this it might be the sweepers sound or a vendor selling his vegies in the street..very well explained Srama. Im feeling home sick i wanna go back to my HOME!!! after reading your post.

1 person likes this.