1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Monster SIL is back

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by ras09, Feb 15, 2010.

1. swt.charu

swt.charu Platinum IL'ite

Well... What is the big deal here? does it really matter who sits in the front seat??

In my case, my FIL / MIL alwasy sit in the front seat, beacause of better leg space and when kids are around they want the front seat for the fun of having better view...sometimes my hubby's friend would be in the front seat and they would be picking me from some point where we may not have ample time to shift places else others would start honking.. so I sit in the back... I mean so many instances where in "someone else" would be sitting in the front seat...I neven think too much about these.

I don't take any offence when others sit in the front seat

2. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

I won't mind few times either but if it becomes a constant thing then it will sure bother me. To me it matters to sit beside my husband even my husband doesn't like anyone else sitting next to him but me. I guess it depends on person to person.

3. parvathy80

parvathy80 New IL'ite

hai ras i understand ur emotion as me myself gon ethrough this situation
    and there relatives itself told her thi sis bad and my dh told no let her sit there otherwise his mom faints all of a sudden
    any way ras mow also we went there the seat problem is creativ ebig dramas as my dh expalined them i am not comfortable with sil sitting with him.so everytime they wil make fun or comments while travelling
    DEAR u can do oneething just say ur dh name and make a declaration pls his wife may sit here next to dh.
    i dont think she has the gut to sit there anymore.
    i will do this if ever thi ssituation arise
    no she wishes to ride in bullet with my hus hahha so no option for me.

4. Mihisha

Mihisha Senior IL'ite

ras09,

tell DH that sitting next to him in the car is your right and u wud not compromise on it.. let DH handle it and next time when SIl is about to hop-in, let DH mention that HE wud like to sit with his wife.. you stay behind the curtains , that way, no one can point finger on you :thumbsup

5. sita2223

sita2223 Bronze IL'ite

Once when we picked up all three ILs(M/F/S), at the airport, instead of changing seats, I was in the front beside my DH and they had to sit in the back. My SIL is too smart :coffeeto show her true colors. She provoked my FIL and he was angry that he did not get to sit in the front. :crazy

My DH does not entertain their silly requests, but I intervened and in order to restore peace, I convinced my DH and offered the front seat to FIL.

I myself sat in the back in between SIL and MIL to have a view of the road for navigation if needed. Now SIL provokes my MIL that I should not sit b/w them and so next time she sits in b/w me and MIL. :biglaugh

I roll my eyes and smile to myself. :)

Try looking at your problem like your SIL is silly. That will make it funnier and less problematic for you.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  6. ras09

ras09 New IL'ite

Hi Sita,
    This is really funny...
    i will definitely work on it. I m gng to my ILs place this weekend.
    i will post you abt it. i m planning to solve this problem this time as my ILs are planning for long drive when we will go there.
    Obviously my SIL will say that i will sit in the front..then i will find out solution for that.
    One more thing i would like to share-
    we have two cars- one with my FIL and one with my husband.
    And my husband drives his father's car when all of us are together and then she sits in front.
    i feel hesitate to ask her to go back as this car is of her father.
    This is one more problem...

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  7. eandian

eandian IL Hall of Fame

:clap:clap:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:clap:clap

8. Confused211

Confused211 Gold IL'ite

a. Learn how to drive and insist on having your husband sit next to you.
    or,
    b. Sit there before she does.
    or,
    c. Throw a tantrum yourself.
    or,
    d. Tell your husband that you aren't going to step in the car if she sits up front. And follow through.
    or,
    e. Suck it up, and sit where you can.

Sama dana bheda dandopayam, not necessarily in that order. Or, no upayam at all, just live with it.

Sneakily - if dh is on your side and just doesn't want to antagonize his parents/sister - have him take a few wrong turns, accidentally on purpose, and stop to ask you for directions. Then, have you come up front to better help him. You learn the directions first, of course.

9. SupSam

SupSam Senior IL'ite

Hi ras,

I have experienced this but in my case my MIL used to behvae kiddish and SIL used to favor her. Till the time SIL got married, they used to throw tantrums. MIL used to spak in kiddish wasy...Bhaiya I will sit on front seat bcos I never sat in a car before you got one...if we told her we were planning for some vacation for a few days mostly just once a year...she would just say...yippi...i will also go with you...we used to get irritated...but in my case my husband took the stand to get me my rights and I personally feel that DIL should not put themselves into a bad image as if you throw tantrums or be harsh may be ecah time you get the seat but may be you would have to hear about that for a lifetime in front of others and then you would not be in a position to answer back...this may also irritate your husband, depends upon his nature. Talk to him politely that you are looking to get ur sis married and its impt that she understands these family values else these attitudes can create problems for her in in laws place. Thats what I did to bring things into notice of DH and to much extent it worked.

ALl the best.

10. momtoanushi

momtoanushi New IL'ite

I agree with swt.charu ....y such a big deal about a front seat..just shows insecurity...next time offer the seat yourself and a make a big deal about it by talking about this noble deed of yours for the whole ride ,for ex.. how nice to see bro and sis together , maybe someday you can join in ur bhabhi on the back seat..:) etc etc ...hopefully ur hubby or sil will get the msg..right now ur sil is just enjoying the look on your face whenever she sits on the front seat with her brother...dont give her that satisfaction...act cool.