Money-saving tips

Discussion in 'Money Matters' started by Sriniketan, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

I got this tips from a newspaper article under 'the fool school' money saving tips. I want to share those tips:
    1. think about every dollar you spend and wait for at least a month before making any most purchases. After 1 month you might not want some things quite as much.
    2.Develop hobbies and interest that don't eat up too much money. Take up hiking, gardening, start a book club. Consider developing income-producing hobbies such as wood working or free-lance writing.
    3.Use your local library more, instead of bookstores. Start a book exchange at work, where collegues bring in and trade books.
    4.Eat before you go to the movies,so that you are not tempted to pay for a tub of popcorn.
    5.Rent movies instead of seeing them at expensive first-run theatres. Go to discount matinee-showings at first run theatres.
    6.reduce, reuse and recycle. you can get a few dollars when you recycle some things.reduncing and reusing can also save some greenbacks.
    7.Consider dropping your cable TV subsciption. At the very least, drop 1 or more premium channels.
    8.Try bartering. You may be able to negotiate some free hair-cuts for drafting your hairdresser's will.
    see what your friends can do for you and what you can do for them.
    9.Toss out the advertising supplements tht pad your Sunday paper unless you really need to buy something. Otherwise you will end up buying unnecessary things.
    10.Don't buy magazines regularily at the newsstand. Subscriptions are much cheaper. Better still, read magazines at the library or online.
    11.E-mail friends and relatives sometimes instead of phoning.
    12.Lower your long distance phone rates. You should able to get the carrier to meet or beat the best deals offfered by competitors.
    13.Call folks at your credit card company and negotiate a lower interest rate. If they balk, tell them you'll take your business elsewhere.
    14.Establish a regular game night with family and friends, where you play board and card games with each other.
    15.When shampooing, lather up, rinse and then don't repeat.

Sriniketan

1 person likes this.

2. Huma

Huma Silver IL'ite

hi sri
    very good information.... i am going to follow some of them.......

take care

bye

3. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Very good information.
    I will try to follow these things......

4. madhu11

madhu11 Bronze IL'ite

Thanks I will try to follow.

5. vidisha

vidisha Senior IL'ite

Good information...
    Keep posting.....

Vidisha:wave

6. saraswatibhat

saraswatibhat Senior IL'ite

Hi,

A very good source of info.......Thanks,

7. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Sri,
    Thank you for sharing these tips. I have to put these in my kids' mind too.

8. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Good piece of info shared :)

Shall I add some more
    - Write a groceries list and go and buy in one trip. Stick to the list.
    - Plan budget. Know how much money goes where..Work and plan together with you spouse.
    - Say 'No' to credit card debts. Use cash or debit cards instead It s those small 10$ and 15$ that cause dent in the pocket... Debt is lazy man's means to purchase items ( Henry Ford)

Summary - To honestly asses our earning capacity an live below the means, so that the older self thanks us..

Well, me and my husband have started saving in a big way. So these are mantras which i come across. Obvious ones but, will help a lot.

9. piu

piu New IL'ite

hmmmmm:mrgreen: .......need to try

10. Mythraeyi

Mythraeyi Silver IL'ite

Good tips. I would also like to add: pay yourself first - each month put 10% of your salary in a savings account before you start paying your bills.

Thanks
    Mythraeyi

1 person likes this.