Money And Taste..

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by anika987, Jun 13, 2023.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Does branded stuff be it bags or clothes automatically equate to good taste?

I was in the mall and I went through this section of clothes and bags which didn’t even look appealing..the prices though were sky high..

One of my friend is very wealthy and she loves to buy brands.I have seen her buying stuff and raving about it but in my eyes am unable to understand the look or trend.

The middle class gal in me probably thinks “Why is it priced so high? What is so appealing in this look”..

Maybe am not upto date with fashion or have much understanding.

Some women also talk about seasons.” I remember one lady wearing a unique sandal and I asked about it.She said it was last season!

All these years in USA and I can’t differentiate between last season to this season.

Any fashion lovers here? Who loves to get branded stuff and be in trend?

Please throw some light about fashion.Am still novel to a lot of stuff:) What in your eyes is aesthetically appealing? What do you think reeks of fashion and what looks unappealing?

2. swarnamary

swarnamary Gold IL'ite

for some like me looking at branded stuff is only festival for eyes.. i dont want those nor i use them on daily basis and more over they are not worth it.. one time when everyone was going around with michael kors and then you go around and buy a geniune one costing hundreds of dollars and you generic brand it doesnt make any difference..
    you need to be there to go along with the trend paying attention to all fashion its fun when you start it and then after sometime you are addicted to it, after a while you get tired hahahahaha. you can try it and see how it goes..

All my co workers are very fashioned irrespective of their age, even 70 yr old coming to work with them is very fashioned from head to toe but thats what make them complete i guess once you are in there you want to try to be that and if it makes you happy why not.

anika987, gknew and chanchitra like this.
  3. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

I am not a brands-only and latest-fashion kind of person. I actually don't buy if I don't like a trend (I disliked cold shoulders, and never bought anything in that style). However, I love classics. My wardrobe does have a Burberry trench (Thanks to my MIL), Chanel classic double-flap handbag (also thanks to my MIL), and Hermes and YSL bags (I bought them to celebrate my promotions). I don't buy fast fashion and I am not a shoe-lover. I don't buy gold much so I buy what I want and I use everything I buy.

Does brand equate to good taste? Not really. I can put together (and usually do) an outfit from Walmart and Kohl's and still look good. It's all about your sense of style and confidence.

anika987 and gknew like this.
  4. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

I am not a branded or fashion type of women. To be honest, I might look like not dressing for my age and look older.
    I buy from Macy's, kohls and even Walmart target. I try to look decent with what I wear. I buy from Macy's but never looked into any brands. I don't spend much on the clothes.

I don't know most of the popular brands here in the US.

As @swarnamary said, sometimes it feels like peer pressure to use the branded ones. I have a group of friends who are all in different state but whenever we meet they usually bring a different brand handbag. They bring Michael kors once and next year it will be kate spade and next year it will be coach .

I always have a simple cross body bag which doesn't have any brand names on it. They were actually kind of teasing me that I should buy some cross body bags from any brands when they are in clearance or thanksgiving sales.
    They said it will be around $100s when I buy during sales. I just said ok to escape from the conversation.

I don't want to spend much on a bag and also the dresses. I don't know why and I sometimes think why I am not into all these. May be I am not earning money and don't want to spend much from a single income. If I get a job and may be I will change? I don't know..
    But I never bought any branded things when I was earning before.
    Thanks for this thread @anika987 as I am getting to know about few brands.
    Your posts always make others stop and think for a while if we are doing the right things. Thank you!! And that's your style of writing and I always love it.

anika987 likes this.
  5. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Aww thanks! Sweet of you to say that:)

gknew likes this.
  6. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

For me some trends I don’t understand..like the cold shoulder..a slight cold shoulder is okay but some are too much..

Also distressed jeans..some look really good but others are so torn and it is also very costly!

And the shirt dresses..what’s so appealing about it..

I need to update myself with trends..:)

Just a casual fun thread..

Feel free to pour your opinions and also what trends u like and not..

7. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Also just to add celeb dressing sense to the thread..

I have always observed Mahesh babu! One of the most well Dressed

He dresses so suave ,classy and neat and all is clothing looks so good and normal.

Ranveer Singh can afford to look suave like in Dil dhadakne do but he is extreme with his dressing!

Heroines I like kajal Agarwal and Trisha.They can dress very well.

I don’t like Disha patani fashion sense..none of her dressing looks good.

Even Aishwarya Rai..she dresses comfortably and decent and what she likes but most of her chudidhars are gaudy and Cannes is mostly a disaster.

8. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

I have no idea who these celebrities are. I don't follow any movie stars (I am guessing they are movie stars).

3323, member: 353311"]And the shirt dresses..what’s so appealing about it..[/QUOTE]

I love shirt dresses. They are easy to dress up or down. Formal enough to wear at work (with a belt) and casual (without a belt) to wear to the grocery store.

I am loving high-rise linen pants this summer!

anika987 likes this.