1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Moms Do Most Of The Parenting Research?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by Rihana, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Thanks. I thought parenting is sequel to marriage!
    Regards.

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Hi @Rihana,

While raising our son, I spent most of my time with respect to his early childhood including the selection of pediatrist, shower, milestone watching, teaching, giving medicines, putting him to sleep, spending time with him, etc. until he grew up into a child ready to go to school. When he knew how to communicate and started attending schools, my wife took over and managed all of the activities like selection of extra-curricular activities, teaching, spending time with him, dropping and picking him up from the school, etc. Only after he reached school final, I got involved in listening to his needs including his interest in engineering, college fee payment, finalizing the lease for his apartment, etc.

Mostly, it was driven by necessity. However, I have to admit, my son is more comfortable communicating with his mother than me. He takes a lot of liberty with his mother but enjoys her love for him. With me, it is more of a need-based conversation to discuss major decisions in life. I traveled a lot internationally from the time we moved to the US (mostly when he was in school from Grade 2 - Grade 10) and he spent all of his time at home with his mother.

Viswa

Rihana likes this.
  3. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

It depends on one's passion and interest towards parenting their kids.

Back in my childhood days, it was my mom who did all the research. She had a tough time without Google's help to gather information related to health, education, etc.etc... but she managed it quite well. Dad just provided for whatever mom asked for. And mom made sure that her requests were reasonable, so that dad's is not exhausted.
    It just came so naturally for them, as mom stayed at home and did all the research, while dad had a busy business running and didn't have time to focus on family matters like these.

In our case, things are slightly different. While I do most of the research part and financial aspect of implementing the plan, my H only does the supportive role. But both at my siblings' places (bro & sis), it is the men in their family who do the research work.
    Perhaps, it is their wider network, strong educational & professional background, or their interest & passion for their kid's future or may be a combination of all.... They are in the front line, while the women/mothers support their husband's decisions.
    Although most of the decisions are discussed, explained and taken jointly so that the other half extends their fullest support.
    Similarly, I've seen many families, where the women worked or not... the research and decision part mostly lies on the parent who has a strongest passion and willingness to volunteer this service for their kid. While the passive one would always follow the other.

When both parents don't agree with each other's decisions, then comes the rifts in parenting that affects the family in another level

Rihana likes this.