1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Missing my mother and grandmother very much

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, Aug 10, 2010.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

When we like someone a lot, they become a part of ourself. Thats why it pains so much when we miss them, because we miss a part of ourselves.

I know our mother and grandmother cant live when we ourselves cross sixty. Some are lucky that after sixty also their mother lives with them

Younger days when they tell something we dont know the seriousness about it but later when we grow and experience everything then only realise that what our parents and grandparents had said is so true. We miss them very much when we remember everything.

When I was young my grandmother, mother's mother used to look after us nicely. Even my mother though old used to miss my grandmother when she is not there.

Now I think of those days when my grandmother used to give us Horlicks to drink before going to sleep, that time did not feel like having. But now when I have to do it myself think how nice if grandmother was there.

Those days we never used to go to the Doctor much because we were taken care nicely with good food. Every month we were given castor oil to clean our stomach. That day special food was made Jeera rasam and paruppu thogayal. Cant have anything else. It was a must to take Oil bath on Fridays. Now if we tell our children to have castor oil they will say amma , you dont have any work who will have castor oil, that was for those days not now.

My grandmother only used to cook and my mother used to assist her. By 7 a.m. in the morning everything will be ready.

Amma and grandma I miss you both very much though now I have become amma and grandma. You both were different. Hope I am able to take care of my chidlren the way you both used to take care of us.

2. ShailRaghuvansh

ShailRaghuvansh Silver IL'ite

Dear Viji,

No one, just nobody can take the place of our mothers and grandmothers. They are a class apart and how much ever we may try to be like them, old is always gold.

But of course, every generation puts in its best and adds something extra to what existed yesterday. So, I am sure that you will turn out to be fabulous as a mother and grandmother.
    :thumbsup
    Nice Day
    Shail

3. sarajara

sarajara Gold IL'ite

Viji Mom!

A beautfiul post in deed!

You made me remember my granny.

she had a good healing touch and oftem i used to have sprains and tummy ache for which she would massage with castor oil and i see the pain vanishing away!

I would run un to the kitchen of the big village house and would come back with a hald ful of fresh butter early in the morning everyday am ther as its my granny who used to churn butter milk :)

She always sees to it that my fav mavilakku mavu and pori urundai ( balls made of roasted rice) are made the day i land ther every time and every day would ahve some sweet which is my favourite.

She used to peel groundnuts from the boiled whole ones and keep them in large amounts with jaggery balls for me to have it as a snack in the evening.

Grand mom's are always special.

Moms are no les. even now she is the only one to care if i ate at proper tmes, i had enough rest etc etc..

even mymom used to clean my stomach every 6 months with castor oil and also used to have oil bath and have rasam rice! I yearn to be back in those days now :)

This post is a good ode to Moms and Grandmoms :)

Thanks fr the sweet post mom.

4. Gayathri47

Gayathri47 Silver IL'ite

Wonderful post. I somethings think about what it would be if I dont have my amma around (unfortunately I never had a chance to be around any of my grandmothers) and I cant help stopping my tears.

I know I am too hasty with my mom at times, but your posts reminds me again of what a wonderful person a mom is :)

5. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Viji,

You wrote this in the right time. Today is my mother's 50th death anniversary. When I was young I did not miss her. But I miss her a lot. She was very strict and kind. She went through tough time loosing her husband ( my father) in her young age. When I read your post,all the memories come back to me like Castor oil, rasam satham etc etc. Thanks, Viji. Good Bless you.

6. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viji amma,

A very nice post. Even after we grow up, we still are kids to our parents. I realise this now that I am a mom and living so far away from my parents. Even when I had a small burn in my fingers few weeks back, they called me every day to know how I was doinging, telling me not to lift the children, try to avoid putting my hand in water. The love that they shower is the ultimate.

Thank you for shuch a lovely post.

love
    Akila

7. hema76

hema76 Silver IL'ite

really wonderfull lines from you. pain in one's death is really a hard thing to digest, ur words say that.

8. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shail

True noone can take the place of our mothers and grandmothers. Well said. Thank you for your appreciation

love
    viji

9. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sara

You said it. My grandmother also if you tell her we like something next minute she will make for us and give.
    Good to know that I brought back memories of your grandmother through this post.

love
    viji

10. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Gayatri

Mother is a person with whom we can share anything and sometimes get angry also with her. But she understands us and takes care of us.

love
    viji