1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Missed Calls

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by AkilaMani, Oct 18, 2013.

1. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

A recent post by Swathi (those ten minutes) about being anxious when being unable to reach her husband, promoted me to write this snippet where I was at the other side - being unreachable for a while.

Recently during Navrathri, I was invited to many of my friend’s houses, one of them is an IL who’s home I was visiting for the first time. They say men cannot multitask and women have no sense of direction. I don’t know if it’s true for the others, but for me, it couldn’t be truer. I could stand right in front of my house and point the wrong direction to my neighbor’s place! So justifiably husband does not trust me to find my way around unless I have my smartphone with me to navigate. So armed with my navigator I started to find my friend’s house. Now I was not going from my home, but from a totally location where I was on an errand, but thanks to the technology, I had three different routes that I could take and a detailed list of the train to take, bus to board, where to get down and how long and which direction I should walk before I found my destination for all three routes.

I chose one of the routes and got down from the train only to see that I would have to wait another 15 minutes for the bus. So I started searching for alternate bus and walking routes. I thought that walking might be a good idea and started walking only to realize that my battery was critically low. If it died on me, then I would have to call my husband from a public phone to tell him that I didn’t know where I was and explain to my friend later why I couldn’t come to her home after confirming my visit. So very prudently I walked back to the bus stop to wait for the bus. Thankfully, the bus arrived soon and I was on my way again.

Two stops later, my navigator told me I should get down and walk. I followed it and found my friend’s apartment soon. I re-checked the block, floor and unit number, got off at the correct floor, diligently followed the direction to the unit number and promptly got lost. Why can’t my smartphone navigate up until the correct door number!!

Smarter than my phone that I am, I called my friend and she came to her door to find me standing right in front of her gate looking very lost! Sheepishly grinning, I pocketed my phone and greeted her. It was around 7.30 pm in the evening and we started chatting happily and were soon were joined by another friend, which only made the conversation even more interesting and enjoyable. We were so engrossed in our chat that I did not notice the time until it was 9.30 pm. After reluctantly saying goodnights and goodbyes while coming out of the house, I noticed that my phone was on vibration mode and there had been 16 missed calls from my DH :spin I was about to call him when his next call came thru :hide:

He did not shout at me, but the urgency in his strained voice was filled with anxiety when he said "why didn't you call me after reaching there? I don't even have your friend's number!" I felt so guilty to have upset him so much and I sincerely apologized. I took a cab and reached home quickly. He seemed to relax only after seeing me :bowdown I apologized once again and he put his arms around my shoulders, smiled and said “it’s not about saying sorry ma, remember that I will be worried, just SMS me at least.”

It had been only a few hours, I was only visiting a friend in the evening, and this is Singapore which is a relatively safe country, and here was my DH so very upset and anxious when he couldn’t reach me!! Well, I don't know what to say except I consider this a blessing :) His strained voice and his visible relief on seeing me will never let me repeat this again :)

9 people like this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Akila dear you have got such a sweet husband who did not shout at you for coming late. You are really blessed

1 person likes this.
  3. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

They say men cannot multitask and women have no sense of direction. I don’t know if it’s true for the others, but for me, it couldn’t be truer.

I could absolutely relate to this ,Akila. LOL. Anyway all's well that ends well .You just gave hubby dear a chance to miss you and express his relief in having you in his life :wink:

1 person likes this.
  4. swathiiyer

swathiiyer Silver IL'ite

Hi Akila

cant agree more with vijima... I have never been in such a situation, so dont know how my husband would react...

But i seriously feel that we should always think about our dear ones and keep them informed... Its basically because we get to read so much in newspapers that we do get worried sometimes

1 person likes this.
  5. AkilaMani

Dearest Viji amma,

Thank you for being the first to give an FB :)

Yes amma, I too feel really blessed for having him as my DH and best friend :)

6. AkilaMani

Hi Mindi,

So happy to have you as a company in being clueless with directions :)

And your way of looking at it is :thumbsup thank you :)

7. AkilaMani

Hi Swathi,

You are right dear. I would be worried sick if my DD is late from school even by a few minutes and I call and check with my parents if they reached safely whenever they are traveling, even if it is to only to the shopping mall or our native ;-) With my DH he knows I worry, so he will call me immediately when he travels abroad or to long distances. but within our local area, nope I don't really bother as I know its quite safe, and if he is delayed he is either with friends or in office.

Nonetheless you are right, we should keep our dear ones informed. Thanks for inspiring me to write this snippet :)

2 people like this.
  8. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Akila dear I also get worried about my children and always keep a track on them. Before marriage I used to keep a track on my son too and he always keeps me informed. But after marriage I know my dil will take care of him so dont worry much. Now also though my children are abroad one day if they dont talk to me I get worried especially my younger daughter because I always see her as a kid though she will soon be 34 years end of october.

P.S. Seeing yours and Swathi's experience I have also written a snippet

1 person likes this.
  9. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Haha, hope you don't need the navigation system to go to your next door house! This thread shows that even women can't multitask.Otherwise you would have noticed the phone vibrating. After all it was not on silent mode.

1 person likes this.
  10. AkilaMani

Dearest amma,

I don't know why I did not reply on this, but I do remember I replied on your snippet :-D

I understand amma, as parents we are always worried about our children. I remember how my dad would waitup for my brother to return when he used to go for floodlight matches (cricket) during his school and college days. My dad still worries when I and my brothers travel, be it abroad or within the city :)

1 person likes this.