1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Miralax Laxative for 6months old

Discussion in 'Infants' started by PeeVee, Jan 22, 2010.

1. PeeVee

PeeVee Senior IL'ite

Did anyone ever used miralax laxative for 6months old or below infants?? DS is constipated and the paed nurse suggeted to use this laxative. but i am worried about using laxative at this age. i tried giving prune juice and raisin water..nothing helped..he pooped last on monday morning..4 days before..he is straining, but nothing comes out..please do suggest if i can use miralax or glycerin suppository..thanks

2. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Peevee, I would go with the stool softener than the suppository, which can become habit forming. But over the two I would see if I can make dietary changes that will help the child. Can you go for whole grain cereals, up fibre content in other ways. I know you posted about your work schedule, but see if you can add bm feeds. Also, is the formula a new thing after you returned to work. Can you ask for a formula that is gentle on stomach. When DS was on combination feed, he did poorly on formula in more than one ways. Our paed told us some of the formula is better than others - hydrolysed milk protein formula gentlest on digestion. If the formula is not new and you think it is due to solids, can you scale down on the amount of solids and complement the solid feeding session with formula or breastmilk.
    This is an unconventional advise suggested to me when DS was having constipation: use a rectal thermometer to take temperature. You will need to apply vaseline or KY jelly or something that will help the child poo.
    If none of this works for you and if constipation persists - given that there is little dietary changes you can make now - I would go with stool softerners. If your baby learns that passing hard stools is going to hurt, he may learn to retain his stools to avoid the pain. This works for us better than suppositories.

3. PeeVee

PeeVee Senior IL'ite

thanks tikka for the quick reply..he doesnt drink too much of formula..he drinks it just 2 or 3 times..that too 3 oz each..most of the time i keep BM pumped for morning around 8.30-9.00am his wake up time..other wise he takes formula..then take veg or fruit puree around 10-10.30..then i BF him around 12-12.30..again formula around 2-2.30..sometimes again a little bit around 4..once i am bak home i breast feed him..he takes raagi around 6.00 in the evening..anyways i am thinking about changing his fomula..even the formula i give, i used to make it thinner than what they suggested..i have not started him on any grains yet..but try to give him fiber rich veggies and fruits..raagi is also rich in fiber..used to apply olive oil in and around the anus..gave him apple/prune juice (1-2oz) almost every day for past one week ..nothing helps..should think about giving whole grain cereal now..

4. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

PeeVee,

I read that Ragi has high iron content...I think this is the cause of constipation...Just stop using ragi for a while till his tummy settles and poops..

5. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Peevee,

A note on formula - Do not dilute it more than what is mentioned on the box. Have you tried Nestle - <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">Nan</st1:place> 1 they say it has DHA and close to mother's milk just make of it. DD didn't like formula taste whatsoever so had to move to packet milk.
    Also there is a digestive vidanga, I do not if you get it in the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">US</st1:place></st1:country-region> but it is very good on the stomach sans side effects. I did have from day one after my delivery and now my DD too takes the water and it goes well with semi solids too. Incidentally very few know of the benefits of vidanga.
    I do not see any problem in the semi solids you are giving becoz DD too has the same schedule. Yes, but one inclusion is that we are giving dalia (wheat).

6. PeeVee

PeeVee Senior IL'ite

mridusudha,

i suggested you not to add milk in raagi..now i think i will start to add milk in raagi preparation which can absorb some iron content from raagi..may be thats why the old generation mixed it with milk! anyways i am planning to hold it at least until he poops..DS really loved it more than the veggies and fruits!

during the lunch break just tried massaging his tummy..he strained a lot and pooped very little..but that looks thick..looks like he is having trouble to push it out..if nothing works out, should try the miralax for this time and check his diet again..

Lee,

Is there any problem if I make the formula milk thinner? I dont make it too thin..but most of the time add 1/2 oz extra water..I was using enfamil till this date..but i was just thinking about buying the nestle good start..planning to try it..i dont know if i can get vidanga here..will check with indian stores here..thanks lee..

do you add milk when you prepare raagi??

7. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

PeeVee,

Is there any reason for diluting the formula?? I know 1/2 and ounce does not sound much but I read that you are not supposed to dilute formula unless your Ped says so...

So just wondering!!

8. PeeVee

PeeVee Senior IL'ite

i have heard about kids having constipation using the formula..so i was just diluting..dont know if there is any problem with diluting it..anyways he mostly takes breast milk..

i called the paed nurse again and asked about the miralax dosage..it was another one and she told me not to give miralax to 6 months old and told to use karo syrup with milk. told to try until tuesday and he doesnt poop till then,take him to the doctor..hope the karo syrup would work..let us see..did any one try that before??

9. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Peevee, you will be diluting the calories in formula by adding more water and upsetting the balance of minerals and the way it is absorbed in the digestive track.
    If you think your child needs more water, do given it after formula. Do see if switching formula around helps you.

10. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Hugs Peevee.

Agree with tikka on the dilution part. Yes try switching it. Check the poll list, ILites have given their views on the formula. May be you can make a better choice.

For ragi, I give it in ratio 1/2 :1 - ragi and wheat flour. DD too likes ragi better. Nowadays I am giving oats only because ragi gives too many poops. For iron plan to switch to dates from tomorrow.

Hope things sort out for you soon.