1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

MIL thinks too highly of her family, judging everyone to be beneath her standards

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by momusa, Jun 26, 2014.

1. momusa

momusa New IL'ite

Hi
    My MIL is currently visiting us from India.Her elder daughter is a partner is a small company in India so she has a very high opinion about her.So here who ever she meets our neighbours she always has an opinion that they are not high fi.
    My MIL has never gone to college .My elder SIL is also diploma in engineering that too from an unknown school.
    Me and my husband are highly educated so we don't judge people by their outward appearance.
    Its just annoying to me that she is judging others without any knowledge.How can I make her stop that.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014

2. Radhai

Radhai Platinum IL'ite

If it is not causing adverse effects that warrant an intervention, I would use them as sessions to endure my patience.

1 person likes this.
  3. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

why you want to stop her. I agree some time this annoy but avoid till she is not commenting on your family or you. This is her nature, let her be.

1 person likes this.
  4. sweetypi

sweetypi Platinum IL'ite

Unless she is badmouthing your family or really misbehaving with your neighbours, consider it a test of your patience. If she is just forming a not-so-good opinion about your neighbours in private, well, she's entitled to it. Maybe the feeling is mutual :)

1 person likes this.
  5. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

Oops.....You just judged her and her daughter by saying that they are are uneducated and not from known colleges. :notthatway:

And...you just talked very highly of yourself by pointing out that both you and your husband are highly educated!

So dear everybody is judgemental, nobody is a saint! Just let her be as long as she is not causing you any harm.

2 people like this.
  6. momusa

momusa New IL'ite

You have a point but at the same time you cannot judge a book by the outer cover.
    When I mentioned about it I was providing some background information ,you mistook it as my judgement.A persons Education is not judgmental , it is what he/she has , same thing as if I say she has black hair , she is thin/fat etc.

On the other hand she always has negative comments about my relatives and friends and that's what bothers me.She doesn't know anything about them , when they come visit me she forms an opinion.
    Its as if she is trying to compare her daughters friends with mine etc.Its good that her daughter has some fashionable friends because every persons personality is different but I don't think this calls for any comparison.Every person is different with their own strength and weakness

As a matter of fact my mother and father doesn't do that.Whenever they meet someone they don't comment that the person is good/bad.

7. MaliniHari

MaliniHari Gold IL'ite

Do this - advice your kid in front of her that judging others is not a good quality and let us not be bad people. If she can understand that, fine and good for her.

8. pantu

pantu Gold IL'ite

It does not matter. It's your view not to judge other people and it's her view to judge each and every person.

2 people like this.
  9. lalithabrahma

lalithabrahma Bronze IL'ite

I agree with Pantu..
    I would have a clear conversation and explain how I feel when such comparison/negative judgments are made and request not to repeat. If still it continues, then you make a choice..
    If it is worth giving importance to this thought.. Is it draining your energy or inspiring you to run your day?
    OR
    Just accept her as she is and ignore

I am note sure if you are familiar with Emotional Freedom Technique. EFT is very helpful to diffuse the negative energy associated with such thoughts that come up during unavoidable circumstances.

1 person likes this.
  10. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

She is just visiting....just leave it. As long as she is not judging you or your family ....let it go or change the topic .