1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

MIL suggesting non veg diet for DS

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by headspin, May 11, 2010.

1. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

I disagree with sarma :)

Dad has equal say in what a child can eat, as much as a Mom. Mom does not have more say or less say. Discuss with your spouse and come to some agreement.

Once the child is a few years older, then the child can decide whether to be a Veg or Non-veg eater.

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  2. mithy232

mithy232 Silver IL'ite

There is nothing wrong in eating Non-veg food. Let the child taste it. Fish is good for health.
    Even if you don't give him Non-veg food, he himself may prefer it in future. Non-veg food is very tempting. It is hard to control :drool

3. sushmi

sushmi New IL'ite

same problem is with me,i am pure vegetarian due to some religious purpose,not even eggs,
    i also raised this question when my kids started their solid foods,but its hard to argue on this matter.
    so our final decesion was as no one force me to cook or touch non veg,i will never feed my kids non veg even eggs by my self.now its my husband responsibility to feed kids if there is some nonveg and on week ends he prepare breakfast (eggs) for kids.
    my daughter likes non veg but my son(15 months) sumtimes split out sumthing..
    so may b n future thr is chance he himself reject nonveg..
    i think these days we cannot force our children what to eat and what to not.so let them decide after few years.
    i know its very hard for vegetarians to handle situations like this,Before marriage we could not imagine that only becoz of this there might b many arguements many times.

sushmi

4. raha256

raha256 Bronze IL'ite

6 months is too early for non veg diet. but let ur child explore all the taste irrespective of veg or non - veg. do u think your child will be a veg when he grows?. he may go to a hotel and have non veg diet. big deal. give enough freedom for your to grow as he wishes. let him decide what he wants. he is not a bad child if he likes non veg.
    if your MIL gives non veg there is no guarentee that your child will be non veg. he may like veg diet. these petty things are not in our hands. stop worrying.
    but sure dont give him non veg now. its too early.

5. rose8282

rose8282 Platinum IL'ite

I think you should let it be.If you had such issues,you should have discussed it before marriage itself.Plus,now that you are working,and you are not feeding him,its but natural that your MIL will feed him what she likes.Its just that they love it,they want him to eat it too.Dont get me wrong,but you say she reared her child the way she wanted to...so your child acc to you.But you are not feeding him,are you?If you want it your way,quit your job..and feed him yourself.Im being harsh,but this is the reality.By the way,Im a vegetarian...just in case you think that i support non-veg so my views will be biased.

6. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

Yep.. Can't have the cake and eat it too.. Some compromises are to be there for a smooth sail. Besides, it is their grandson too.. They will not harm that child.

7. sarma

sarma Senior IL'ite

A mil (or mom) can (can be expected to) respect the wishes of a mother/father. The view that she can do as she pleases because she is the one on the ground/at the scene is a bit surprising.

Grand parents (and others) must respect the parents' wardship of their kid no matter what!

P.S. Unless of course the parents are incapacitated or irresponsible (legal aspects to the determination of this is outside the scope of this post) etc etc.

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  8. Induvadana

Induvadana New IL'ite

I don't think you have to let your MIL do whatever suits her just because she is helping you with kids. You help her in some other way or gift her nicely and shower gratitude. when it comes to kids Ils should be considerate to what parents want. You tell her nicely that you have certain beliefs and you wish that the kid be brought up as vegetarian. Also I don't believe in passive parenting of letting the kid decide and do what they like. Parents must teach values that they believe in. I have strong beliefs like vegetarianism and I do make sure I teach them. Whether they follow it as adults are not is upto them. I will not be upset if they turn meat-eaters. but as my kids they will be vegetarian.

9. ShilpaMa

ShilpaMa IL Hall of Fame

==========================>

1) If you try to superimpose (1).. every action has equal and opposite reaction, they're not paid servants who are interested only in Pay at the end of the day... they have their own mindset and a relation. MIL can also read it as per her convinience.

2) Well in that case dont fall in love with a guy who is totally diverse from your culture... arrange a mariage where the child shall by default follow the principles of family that believes in your thoughts

3) Exactly Parents are involves and how to deal when Parents have diverse choices?

I will not be upset if they turn meat-eaters. but as my kids they will be vegetarian
    So by chance if they become "MEAT EATERS" appears more like carnivorous description :crazy.. do they cease to be your KIDS? Do I draw out that corollary from your sentence?

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  10. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

OP, I would say that stop thinking of your kid as "mine" .Your husband is also equally responsible for your kid.So decision of following non-veg or vegetarianism should come from both of you. In your case, since you married somebody from entirely different background than yours, it requires adjustment from both sides.Problem comes when one is rigid.Though the other one seem to be nodding head for now, the problem is likely to explode.

Sarma, Why is this surprising for you?The grandmother can work as a fulltime nanny but she does not have any say is it?Isn't she a grandma?She brought you up once right?Aren't we being bad by saying give me a space for myself to bring up the kid?You need her to take care of the kid with all affection , etc...etc...but want to enforce your rules over the kid.:rant

Somebody said shower with gifts instead of involving them in decisions.It is like paying it off which I feel is very mean.