1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mil Playing Her Strategy Again

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by preeti6years, Dec 18, 2018.

1. preeti6years

preeti6years Silver IL'ite

Recently I made a post mentioning briefly about my MIL and my strained relationship with her. I had been at my mom's house for two weeks and returned over the weekend as dh was out of town. Dd was all ok there eating, playing with her cousin and sleeping well. Just before coming back here she had mild cold because of weather change. Now this was being magnified in front of dh every now and then by Mil and her relative who had come to stay here for a couple of days though dd was active. Sometimes I defended subtly. Now this relative of hers said she would like to give bath to dd. I agreed under the impression that she has managed her grand children quite well. But dd was not comfortable the way sge gave bath and was crying all the time. Instead giving her a quick bath she took whole 20 to 25 to complete it inspite of did crying on a high tone. Mil was there and was appreciating this lady as to how well she is giving bath to dd. I was helpless.
    Now because of crying for so long dd has become little week and moreover she is teething. Now all this is also framed as the affect of me being at my mom's place. I told dh that she is tired because of crying. But not sure how much he considered this.
    Now after all this mil is asking me not to cook for dd and said she will cook. She says that reheating the food takes as much time as preparing it fresh. As of I did not object. My mil is a kind of person who never volunteers anything for whatever reason. Sometimes she would blindly refuse to hold the child evenewhen I want to have my dinner. And now all of a sudden she is saying all this. I can see two reasons behind this decision. One the relative who was here was boasting how she was cooking and managing her grand children. Second now that bil and co sis would be coming here in a few days, she wants to show it up as to how well she is taking care of the child.
    What can I do in this situation? Should I leave the cooking to her or tell her that I want to cook for dd?

2. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

Do not overthink the intentions behind MIL’s love for your child. If she wants to cook let her cook.
    Not sure I feel the same about strangers / relatives giving bath to my children though. As a mother you can always say no.

Amica, MalStrom and nakshatra1 like this.
  3. sabrinaT

sabrinaT New IL'ite

Try to tell her that doing things for your kid is not a burden and that you Prefer to do things, including feeding and giving bath. Tell her, she has done an awesome job with her son already and should give you the chance to do your motherly duties. Don't let her start new things that will be hard to trace back. It is your house too. If something bothers you, tell it upfront rather than keeping it all inside and spoiling your health.

4. Sangeeta85

Sangeeta85 Gold IL'ite

Yes tell it what u want .. if they play grand ma card u too be strong n say no this is what u want..
    u will miss things if she does..

5. preeti6years

preeti6years Silver IL'ite

Yes I am planning to cook for dd again. Anyways I have nothing to tell her. Will tell dh that I want to cook for dd and make it