1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

MIL competing with me in looks in front of DH

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Manavi, Jun 22, 2010.

1. newbeginning

newbeginning Bronze IL'ite

Why dont you start wearing only western dresses, skirts and stuff like that. I am sure you will look good in them and your MIL can even think of buying or wearing them:):rotfl. Then you can jokingly ask her if she wants to try on a dress and see the look on her face.:) Then try to console her saying oh! 51 is not too old...look at all the ladies here and they wear mini skirts etc....

Regarding the privacy - others have given you a wise advise...just dont stress yourself up too much...let her be and you be yourself thats all.

cheers,
    NB

2. iyerponnu

iyerponnu Gold IL'ite

I can agree with the first statement. It does tend to get very irritating when it goes overboard.

When the mom-in-law does not want the DIL to wear jeans etc in India, it could have been because she didnt want her to lose face in front of relatives. If she had been wearing in India and didnt let her DIL wear it, then I think there would be an issue. Lots of MILs I know, expect their DILs not to wear jeans etc in India, but are not against them wearing it in the US or UK. As long as she does not stop the DIL wearing it when in the US, I think it should be ok..

Mythili

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  3. 1janavi

1janavi Bronze IL'ite

Mythili , Okay MIL din't want DIL to lose face in front of relatives so she objected to her wearing jeans in India and from the sound of her post looks like Manavi obliged.DIL also feels MIL looks cheap among her society people when she tries to compete with her.Now don't you think its fair for the DIL to expect MIL to do the same in return.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  4. Manavi

Manavi New IL'ite

Re: MIL competing with me in looks in front of DH - Pls advise !

Hi all,

My MIL/FIL just left for India last week. But I am completely confused after what all I saw in these past 3 months. Let me give some examples:
    1. MIL not telling me about buying jeans/capris in India for US trip.
    2. After coming here, she used to wear jeans n tops and come out of room and ask DH "How am I looking?" and not bothering to ask me. Everytime we go out, MIL asks DH "What should I wear?". Then DH tells her,chks whether jeans is tight or loose,puts belt for her....
    3.For my DH birthday I gave him a red rose which he got and kept on the table after coming from office...My MIL picks up that rose and gives to DH on her behalf.
    4. DH continously looking at MIL what she is doing...what she is eating...even when we go out,DH is always walking with her....both hold hands...DH feels guilty to hold hands with me in front of her...or take close photos with me...whenever I tell to take picture,MIL turns face away....
    5. DH looks at MIL face and wipes something on her face..I mean always looking at her...will make her hair proper if they r not....
    6. Everytime MIL finds chance to be alone with DH...Whenever we get out of car in garage,she will wait till everyone goes upstairs because DH comes from behind.....not only this...she will make some bahana to call DH in thier room and make him sit there by talking anything silly.....
    7. When we come from office..she will come and stand near staircase and tries to show off wht she is wearing....
    8. Whenever I am wrking in kitchen, she will go n sit in couple recliner next to my hubby very close....like how a wife sits....
    9. Always..she wants to sit next to DH whenver we go...in restaurants or any place....
    10. DH also is too physical with her....

I dont understand what is going on....My DH has been a mumma's boy...but now it is getting on my nerves....When I tried to convey my anger through my behaviour,there were big fights and my DH never took my side...He says I have dirty thoughts....

I have been trying to console myself by saying its mother-son relationship....But seeing this everyday has made me mad n confused....

After my MIL/FIL left,my DH is not that good to me.....remains aloof...

Please advise is this normal. What should I do ? Keep quiet or talk abt this to DH ? WIll he understand ? what if he gets angry on me for thinking like this and never talk to me ?

I dont want to spoil my marriage..We are thinking of a having a baby soon...

Please...I need some sincere advise.....

5. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

Is it normal? well, I would say, normally a grown up man and mother don't behave like this but I have seen at least some people who do. Some men are more attached to their mothers than others. So, you are not alone. It is very irritating for the wife to see her DH behaving like this but I think they are more childish/immature than anything else. So, I would say just accept it the way it is. Don't say anything to DH. He wouldn't understand.
    Moreover, they have left now so you are free to enjoy your life with your DH and without them. :)

6. Manavi

Manavi New IL'ite

Hey Monita,

Thanks for ur reply. Yeah I know now they r not here..But DH wants to go back to India for good in 2 years. After going back, if this thing continues, I will never be happy. I am worried. Also, we are planning to start a family. In such situation, do you think its a good idea to call my MIL for help post pregnancy for 3 months? Dunno what to do. Pls help.

7. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

Hi Manavi,
    If there are no other issues apart from her weird behaviour and too much clinging to your DH, Then don't worry too much. Does she help you with housework? does she care about youDoes your DH care about you? these are more important things.
    From your posts, it seems your MIL comes from a conservative background so she dresses conservatively back in India and asks you to do the same so that people don't point fingers at her and you. The conservative background also explains why your DH shows affection to her mother but not you because he is brought up that way. He is uncomfortable showing affection in front of elders.
    It seems your husband is a caring person. Not many grown up men show affection to their mother. I think your DH will prove to be a very good father. So, go ahead and plan your family.
    If your MIL is not trying to put you down and you think she is going to be good help for you post pregnancy, then you might like to call her over.

8. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Dont do things which spoil your peace of mind, especially when you are pregnant. If your MIL's behavior disturbs you so much, dont invite her over.

She and your husband may or may not be having bad intentions, a different issue altogether. That doesnt mean she and her son dont need to watch the way they act and behave. They are adults and grown ups and should be well aware of how they behave and conduct themselves. If not, give your husband a piece of your mind and tell him that his behavior is not acceptable.

She is his mom and tell him to behave like that.

-Lakshmi

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  9. canreachus

canreachus Senior IL'ite

hi,

i don't feel any odd in ''most of the points'' you have mentioned...becasue when i read it i imagined my mother and brother relationship...my be your mil is much more attached with ur dh as my brothe is, it is almost like this, and i or even my sil don't find anything odd in it...my mother doesn't ask my brother 'how she is looking etc stuff, but my brother says that-"you are looking modern in this one" or so..

my mother also didn't allow me to wear jeans / short skirts etc, even she strictly told me to wear saree for first 1.25 months of my pregnancy (12yrs back)..but now she doesn't expect such thing from her dil, rather she bought short skirts with small strips etc in her europe trip and she herself wore jeans/top in her trip...

i also noticed the change when i saw her in jeans for the first time but i think, they try to change their views with modern dil/daughter and culture..and may be - i can easily adopt this because she is my mother and not the mil..

so don't give much importance and don;t try to smell anything unless there is fire....they have already gone right...then enjoy ur life with ur dh
    take care,

10. Manavi

Manavi New IL'ite

MIL competing with me in looks in front of DH - Need advise

Hi all,

Having described my MIL and hubby's behaviour in my earlier posts, I have a question. Its been 2 months they have gone to India but they have called me(that too on my hubby's cell) to wish diwali. Apart from that,they never ever call me. If they have any work they will call DH in office.
    They have stopped calling my mom in India. Even after me telling them my mom's no. has changed they dont bother to ask for new no.
    My mom called them twice to wish for Dassera n Diwali. They spoke nicely on phone but never call her back or go to my home which is 5 mins distance.
    My DH also does not call them from home..not even once...but the moment he reaches office,he will call...maybe thrice a week...
    I have been calling them every week. But now I feel this is too much of humiliation.
    If they do not feel that it is important to call me or my mom, then y should I call them ??
    Please advise me on this..Will this create a bad impression on my hubby...But he is also behaving like that and never asking his parents y they dont call me or my mom...
    I dont know whether to call....I dont feel like calling them because of all that they did when they were here and what they r doing now...They are very stubborn people and have lot of attitude and want to show we dont care about you....
    Please advise.....