1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Liked anything that you read here? You may nominate it as the Finest Posts!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

Midwife or Gynaecologist?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by coolfiregirl200, May 6, 2010.

1. coolfiregirl200

coolfiregirl200 New IL'ite

Hi all,
    I am 5 weeks pregnant :).I have decided on the hospital ie;northwestern hospital ,chicago. But i am confused whther as to opt for midwife or gynaecologist. has anyone opted for midwife? can u plz give me some information. This is my first pregnancy and totally unsure of these things..plz help.Also my first app is sheduled only after 7 weeks. till then is there anything is should take care of?

2. DevikaS

DevikaS Senior IL'ite

I LOVE my ob-Gyn ; not sure abt midwives..

My first appt was at 9 weeks..
    Till then.. take your prenatal vitamins everyday, dont lift heavy things, take care of yourself, and make a list of questions you want to ask the doctor/midwife at the appt. Take it easy, everything will be fine..

Join babycenter.com there is lots of info on that website

3. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Coolfiregirl200

I had a certified nurse-midwife (CNM) for my entire pregnancy, including pre- and post-natal care. I still see my CNM for general Women's Health (pap smears, pelvic exams, etc.), so I have never consulted an OB-GYN for anything here in the US. I'm not sure how it works in your chosen hospital, but I'll describe my reasoning and experiences anyway.

Here is a link that will give you some information for your decision-making:

Which type of doctor or midwife is right for you? | BabyCenter

I decided on a CNM because based on my previous experiences with OB-GYNs (back home), I thought a CNM might be a better choice for me. I have nothing against doctors (I like some doctors very much), but I liked how available the CNMs were right throughout my pregnancy, and how in tune they seemed to be with a woman's needs. My hospital had three CNMs working in partnership, so I saw all of them during my pregnancy and luckily, my favourite one was on call when I went into labour. She was there almost the entire time, and was very supportive and patient.

The CNMs at my hospital tend to favour non-medical interventions, although they will step aside and let a medical team take over when necessary. I found this to be a good combination of letting nature take its course as far as possible, but having a fully-equipped labour and delivery unit for backup right there. My CNM was really helpful with birthing techniques, breathing assistance, positions, etc. during my labour, and I felt supported and listened to throughout.

This is not to say an OB-GYN won't offer the same support, but I found the CNM to be a great option for me. You need to have a certain kind of pregnancy to use the services of a CNM (no high-risk factors, for example). I would advise you make an apointment to see a CNM at your hospital, and ask her any questions you may have. Then, try to see an OB-GYN for your second appointment, and ask the same questions. That was my initial plan, but after meeting my CNM, I liked her so much I didn't even meet with an OB-GYN.

You will be able to assess from how both parties meet your needs at these initial meetings whether the CNM or the OB-GYN is the better option for you. You must feel comfortable with whomever you decide to see; you will depend on that person for support and information as you go through a major life experience. It is worth the time and effort to do a little research and shop around before you commit. You can also change your mind at any time during your pregnancy.

So, I was very happy with my decision to use the services of a CNM, but it may not be for everyone. As for what to do and what not to do until your first check-up, nothing really. The usual precautions apply (no cigarette smoke exposure or alcohol, no strenuous exercise, etc.) but you can continue life as normal. Your CNM or OB-GYN will advise you on this. Congratulations on your pregnancy, and best wishes!

4. coolfiregirl200

coolfiregirl200 New IL'ite

@devika: Thank u for the info

@Ansuya: Thnaks so much Ansuya, so i will meet both CNM and OB-GYN and then decide. Personally i feel to opt for CNM. bt i was just concerned if at all there are any complication wat would happen..But as u said if medical team takes over when necessary its quite good option. thanks so much for the info.