Midwife or Gynaecologist?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by coolfiregirl200, May 6, 2010.

1. coolfiregirl200

coolfiregirl200 New IL'ite

Hi all,
    I am 5 weeks pregnant :).I have decided on the hospital ie;northwestern hospital ,chicago. But i am confused whther as to opt for midwife or gynaecologist. has anyone opted for midwife? can u plz give me some information. This is my first pregnancy and totally unsure of these things..plz help.Also my first app is sheduled only after 7 weeks. till then is there anything is should take care of?

2. DevikaS

DevikaS Senior IL'ite

I LOVE my ob-Gyn ; not sure abt midwives..

My first appt was at 9 weeks..
    Till then.. take your prenatal vitamins everyday, dont lift heavy things, take care of yourself, and make a list of questions you want to ask the doctor/midwife at the appt. Take it easy, everything will be fine..

Join babycenter.com there is lots of info on that website

3. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Coolfiregirl200

I had a certified nurse-midwife (CNM) for my entire pregnancy, including pre- and post-natal care. I still see my CNM for general Women's Health (pap smears, pelvic exams, etc.), so I have never consulted an OB-GYN for anything here in the US. I'm not sure how it works in your chosen hospital, but I'll describe my reasoning and experiences anyway.

Here is a link that will give you some information for your decision-making:

Which type of doctor or midwife is right for you? | BabyCenter

I decided on a CNM because based on my previous experiences with OB-GYNs (back home), I thought a CNM might be a better choice for me. I have nothing against doctors (I like some doctors very much), but I liked how available the CNMs were right throughout my pregnancy, and how in tune they seemed to be with a woman's needs. My hospital had three CNMs working in partnership, so I saw all of them during my pregnancy and luckily, my favourite one was on call when I went into labour. She was there almost the entire time, and was very supportive and patient.

The CNMs at my hospital tend to favour non-medical interventions, although they will step aside and let a medical team take over when necessary. I found this to be a good combination of letting nature take its course as far as possible, but having a fully-equipped labour and delivery unit for backup right there. My CNM was really helpful with birthing techniques, breathing assistance, positions, etc. during my labour, and I felt supported and listened to throughout.

This is not to say an OB-GYN won't offer the same support, but I found the CNM to be a great option for me. You need to have a certain kind of pregnancy to use the services of a CNM (no high-risk factors, for example). I would advise you make an apointment to see a CNM at your hospital, and ask her any questions you may have. Then, try to see an OB-GYN for your second appointment, and ask the same questions. That was my initial plan, but after meeting my CNM, I liked her so much I didn't even meet with an OB-GYN.

You will be able to assess from how both parties meet your needs at these initial meetings whether the CNM or the OB-GYN is the better option for you. You must feel comfortable with whomever you decide to see; you will depend on that person for support and information as you go through a major life experience. It is worth the time and effort to do a little research and shop around before you commit. You can also change your mind at any time during your pregnancy.

So, I was very happy with my decision to use the services of a CNM, but it may not be for everyone. As for what to do and what not to do until your first check-up, nothing really. The usual precautions apply (no cigarette smoke exposure or alcohol, no strenuous exercise, etc.) but you can continue life as normal. Your CNM or OB-GYN will advise you on this. Congratulations on your pregnancy, and best wishes!

4. coolfiregirl200

coolfiregirl200 New IL'ite

@devika: Thank u for the info

@Ansuya: Thnaks so much Ansuya, so i will meet both CNM and OB-GYN and then decide. Personally i feel to opt for CNM. bt i was just concerned if at all there are any complication wat would happen..But as u said if medical team takes over when necessary its quite good option. thanks so much for the info.