1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mid-air celebration of Diwali

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

[JUSTIFY]17 years back, on Diwali day, my wife, son and I left Chennai to migrate to the United States. When we left for the airport, we noticed several rockets being fired by many households in our neighborhood. My parents-in-law came to see us off in the airport along with a few of my friends. My son was 7 years old at that time and he did not know what was in store for him when he enters the United States. One of my friends, who came to see me off, bought a nice aircraft toy as a gift for my son. My son was already carrying his teddy bear without which he never went to sleep. It was past midnight when Lufthansa airlines took off from the airport.

None of us had ever traveled overseas prior to that trip and interestingly our maiden trip overseas was to migrate to the United States. My son went to sleep right after boarding the plane and my wife and I were talking for a long time as we did not know what would be our future in a new country. She was suggesting that we should attempt to make a living in the US for at least 2-3 years and if things didn’t work out, we should return to India. The next day morning, we landed in Frankfurt and within 2 hours we boarded another aircraft to fly to Atlanta. After sleeping the entire duration of the first flight to Frankfurt, my son became very active in the flight from Frankfurt to Atlanta asking lot of questions about how to operate television in front of his seat as well as details of lunch menu. I hooked him up to music and calmed him down until the airhostess came and offered him ice cream.

We landed in Atlanta in the afternoon and we had never seen an airport of that size ever in our life. The immigration clearance took very little time and we rechecked the baggage after passing through customs. I walked up to a customer service representative and asked him how to catch a flight to go to Tampa by Delta airlines. He asked us to go underground and catch a train to change concourse. My son enjoyed that short raid to another concourse evaluating all the fellow passengers in the train. We got into the escalator and moved up to find our gate. As soon as we got near the game, my mind started worrying about how I would find a cab to go the hotel booked for us to stay in Tampa until we find an apartment to live. We had 6 pieces of checked in baggage and 2 hand baggage. The flight to Tampa took only 55 minutes and as soon as we landed in Tampa, we found 3 of my colleagues waiting for me at the airport. It brought smile in my face. They came in multiple cars to transport us as well as our baggage.

The fresh air coming from the backwaters gave me a great sense of feeling and I looked out to watch the surroundings. The car was moving on a long bridge for about 10 miles with either side covered with backwaters of Gulf of Mexico. Within 30 minutes we arrived at the hotel and my colleagues took off after promising to pick me up for work the next day. They also brought nice dinner for us to eat that night and I thanked them for that.

After the hectic travel and mental tension, my wife and I wanted to go to bed right away. My son who slept so well in the plane was wide awake asking us serious of questions about the country we had just migrated. The next day, I went to work leaving my wife and son in the hotel after breakfast promising them that I would bring some lunch for them later in the afternoon. Within 4 days, we found an apartment to move in, learned driving in 10 days and obtained driver’s license, bought a brand new car with one of my colleagues guaranteeing that I would pay back the car loan. We rented some furniture for our home and began our life in the United States with plenty of debt and no credit history. I can never forget Diwali ever. I wish all ILites a very happy Diwali let this day bring the best for you.
    [/JUSTIFY]

13 people like this.

2. Mohanas

Mohanas Silver IL'ite

Thank you and wish you also a happy Diwali Sir!!

I don't know why but after reading your post it gave me some lightness in my heart and happiness.

1 person likes this.
  3. sushmavja

sushmavja Platinum IL'ite

viswa sir, nice to know about your first US journey..Wish you and your family a colourful and prosperous diwali

1 person likes this.
  4. Uttaraa

Uttaraa Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viswa,

I could relate to every word you have written on migrating to a nation which till then was only a distant land of picturesque images on media. The apprehensions of what the future has in store is daunting.

When I left India, I remember I was too excited that I had several sleepless nights ..wondering what it is to set foot in the country which has always captivated me.

And the packing! Oh my! I had friends packing stuff as if I was going on exploration to deep amazonian rainforest. You think of it and I had it squeezed in some corner of my baggage! What is this?! Erm..we are not sure but it is listed in the must-haves of hitchhikers guide to the galaxy.

Greatest lesson of my life learnt - survival is not proportional to how well-prepared one is to a situation, it is how adaptable one is. Never ever was I scared to travel anymore to any corner of the world with that aspiration and zeal in life after my maiden journey. With the passage of time, it took less and less time to start life from scratch, learn things as and when needed, blend culturally or to look out of the window and say - I wonder this time next year where ever I am I look forward to it! :)

Happy Diwali.

4 people like this.
  5. Viswamitra

Dear Mohana,

Thank you for your response and kind wishes. I am so happy to hear that I contributed for your happiness on this auspicious day. Let the compassionate Lord bring happiness, prosperity, health and wealth to you.

Viswa

6. Viswamitra

Dear Sushma,

Thank you for your response and for your kind wishes. I am sure many had similar experience of migrating to another country. Since I traveled on Diwali day, I thought it is appropriate to write about it. My best wishes to you and yours for a very happy Diwali.

Viswa

7. Viswamitra

Dear Uttaraa,

Thank you for your wonderful response.

You have perfectly listed the challenges we face such as a) starting from the scratch, learn things as and when needed and blend culturally. Despite all we have accomplished back in India, moving down to the US with a few dollars in hand and starting life with debts was a great challenge. My son who was 7 years old was asked to attend a special class to understand US accent and culture as an international student for 30 days and being a child, he grasped those things pretty quick. My wife and I learned from our mistakes.

What a profound statement. It is indeed how our mind adapts to the change makes life lot easier than preparation. If we pierce the veil of limitations, sky is the limit. Like you had mentioned, I ended up traveling to many countries in my job for many years after I migrated in 1995. I was no longer intimidated by the language and culture.

Viswa

3 people like this.
  8. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Wish you and your family a very happy Diwali. What a memorable Diwali and what a memorable journey. I can only imagine the anxiety you and your wife must have faced when taking such a huge leap (figuratively and literally) across the oceans into the unknown. You did it. You made your lives and memories there. Wish you many more memorable years and do hope you will eventually return to this country and settle down here with us and celebrate many more Diwalis at home. :-D

3 people like this.
  9. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Viswa
    So beautifully narrated (in your inimitable style ) I enjoyed reading your words and reliving all those moments.

Coming to a new home far from home we now continue the festivals and celebrations adapting to this new home environment.

Many practices of our culture and tradition which we continue to live through us to the next generation sets the tone of how our children adopt these practices too.

Wishing you and your family a happy diwali.. Hope you are eating ladoos as you read this :)

1 person likes this.
  10. sravanitenali

sravanitenali IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa sir...

Happy to read your first journey to explore land of oppurtunities...this is making me to remindi our days of entering new land with lots of excitement, anxiety and in between our DS is 1yr old...who is very actively running here and there in the airport

HappY Diwali to You and Your Family Sir..

Sravani

1 person likes this.