Microwave Poha

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by shivachoubey, Mar 25, 2010.

1. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for liking and appreciating my recipes. Do let me know how the poha came out.

Have a great day ahead.

regards

Shiva

2. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

This looks like something I can easily handle. I am also looking for breakfast dishes, so this will do fine. My wife doesn't use onions at all. She won't eat onions -- she is a pakka Brahmin. [Unlike me, who is an orthodox heathen :)] Initially, I am going to have to skip onions.

Will definitely let you know how this turns out.

Thanks.

3. shivachoubey

Dear Sojourner,

Make it with only potatoes and I am sure its gonna taste awesome. Don't forget to blog about your experience (just kidding).

Do let me know how it turned out.

Have a great day ahead.

regards

Shiva

4. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

Coincidentally, before I saw your recent comment, I was thinking about your blog. I was getting dressed and noticed that my waistline had increased by about 1/4" since the last time I paid attention to it. It is a slow but inexorable process, especially for a lazy bum like me.

> Make it with only potatoes and I am sure its gonna taste awesome.

Thanks Shiva. The day of the big event may be as soon as this Sunday :)

I wish I can take a cooking class with someone like yourself.

You have a great day too. And thanks again.

5. shivachoubey

Dear Soujourner,

Hahahah, the day of the big event, awesome. Never knew making poha is such a great event in life.

Btw, I read about Ramki on your blog and I was so damn impressed. People seriously do so many things and here I sit dreaming that one day I will have my own restaurant.

Cooking classes is a good idea Sojourner. I wish I could start them one day but for that I will need to be very good in cooking.

Waiting for the results of the great event.

Have a great day ahead.

regards

Shiva

6. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

Shiva teacher,

> Never knew making poha is such a great event in life.

You don't know how unskilled I am in the kitchen, do you? :)

Surprise news. I came home for lunch today. Are you ready for this? Made poha and ate it with fruits. My tummy is full and I am happy.

Some questions and comments.

1.Have you given the proportions somewhere? I guessed and also used another recipe on the net. My poha was quite eatable. The salt was almost on the high side.

2. Was the mustard seeds supposed to pop after 40 seconds? Mine didn't.

3. The potatoes stuck together almost like in a tikki.

4. The microwavable container got quite hot. I wonder whether my heating times were too high for the quantities I had.

5. I also wondered what the "correct" taste should be.

6. I didn't eat with a small spoon. I ate with my hand :)

Please suggest a moong dhall / tomato recipe next. Maybe there is still hope for me.

Thanks.

Your top student,

Sojourner
    :)
    PS: Ramki is a cool guy. I will post about a certain kind of cooking class in the US. Alas, this may not work in other parts of the world.

7. shivachoubey

Now that is some good news.

Usually, people who make poha do it on assumption basis. Next time if you want to try then use, 1 medium bowl poha and 1 medium potato.

Its fine, they need not pop.

All microwaves are different. The best thing is to microwave for 2 minutes, then stir the potatoes and again microwave for 2 minutes. It takes 5 min max to cook a medium size potato.

Get the plastic looking ones which are microwave compatible, this way they won't get hot. Usually, glass and ceramic gets too hot in a microwave.

hmm, for that you need to eat genuine poha :). The correct taste is like a normal poha dish that we eat in common households or retros.

Doesn't matter how you eat, what matters is how much you enjoyed the taste.

Yeh sure, will upload soon. I have one planned already, the only thing is that I have to make it and take pictures and upload it.

There is lot of hope for you Sojourner. Start by understanding that some food is made for the bin. Not all dishes will turn out good. I got my hand right on the dishes once I started understanding the great rule of binning the failed dishes which turned out pathetic.

You are doing really good. Keep it up and keep trying.

Have a great day ahead.

regards

Shiva

8. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

Thanks Shiva teacher. I made Aloo Poha again yesterday. It turned out OK. Actually, it is a very easy recipe, overall. I liked using only 2 tsp of oil.

I also made the South Indian potato curry using the same way (i.e., microwave). It turned out OK. The small potato cubes maintained their shape but didn't get fried. (If done right, it gets coated with brownish yellow coating on the surface.) It was still quite eatable.

> some food is made for the bin.

:) :)

You have a great day too. Please feel free to contact Ramki, if you need to. You can say that you are Sojourner's friend [or better yet Sojourner's teacher :)]

Take care, Shiva.

9. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

DEar Shiva

Weekly atleast 3 days i make poha in my house for BF just with 1 tsp oil - just for tempering..........but we used to prepare without onion / potatoes.........just tempering with mustard, channa dhal, urad dhal, jeera and slit green chillies , curry leaves ( optional - because my son will shout) ........thats all,...........but this will also tastes good only yaar.........my family used to eat with fat free curd..........i used to eat qwith roasted masala papad ........or even plain