1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Metti Oli....

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by aishu22, Dec 3, 2007.

1. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Metti Oli..
    Okay all of you are thinking that im gonna write a review about the serial Metti oli which was telecasted some years back..
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooo.
    Then whats in here??
    Metti- the ornament that i always used to adore more than anything- for it brings grace, a responsibility and also a caution to other men that the bearer of the metti is some ones elses possesion.The one ornament so small in size when compared to others yet most graceful- at least to me makes it special.Though worn in silver, the amount of pride you get when your hubby touches your feet and glides it is uncomparable.I used to gaze at my wedding album for this reason and crave for this particular photo....On a lighter note, this is the one custom wear in husbands fall on the wife's feet.But it has a very strong meaning..that "the man of the family is placing all his family's respect and pride before the wife's feet and asking her to be a protector of the same and make the family even more prosperous!!!!This was explained by the prohit who performed my wedding....
    Before my wedding i used to wear hand rings in the toe finger as metti without any ones notice and used to feel proud about that..i'm pretty sure that most of the girls would have tried it before the wedding....What say ladies??

sindmani likes this.

2. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Dea Aishu,
    I was also mislead by the title of the post. I too love to wear a metti.Though Iam not very traditional when it comes to such traditioasnl ornamnets, this is something I love. I used to wear the traditonal uruttu metti, till a year back. It "enjupoified" and then I tried the modern thin ones, alas, that did not last. Now I have three pairs which I bought from Sukra and I wear it eveyday.
    To answer your question, I never used them in any other form before I got married.

3. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Aishu
    Even I love wearing metti.As Janani said I too have couple of them.I had ones with little bells when I got married.But now I wear small desiger ones.They real look lovely when wore new.I t looks better with the nails are painted.
    I never tried wearing them in my fingers.

4. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Aishu,as you had pointed out 'metti' plays an important role in the married life.I do like rings on the fingers a lot before marriage.when i went to India after 11 years, my mom asked me to purchase a new set because the old one was wearing out. The new one purchased 'looked-like' they are large but after sometime it suited my finger well. When my parents were in Bombay after my marriage, they also got me the one, you wear on the 'ring finger' of the feet. it was silver. As it was thin, it didn't last much longer.

5. padmasowrirajan

padmasowrirajan Senior IL'ite

Hi Aishu,
    Nice thread! Metti oli of my mother...........has been a great help for my sister and myself during our childhood days. When my mom used to go to temple, she will instruct us to read and leave. But then, when do we ever listen to them?So, as usual we will switch on the TV and watch cartoon, we were and are crazy about cartoons and animated films. Since she goes by car, she wont wear her slipper and when time goes by, we would be straining our hears muting the TV to hear her metti oli. Lovely times.
    I used to wear cut shoes and even after marriage i continued to wear it. My sister, she kept telling me "Pad, will you please switch over to sandals and let those guys ogling at you know that you are married and its very irritating me that i should be the one they should be looking at". I will just chuckle when she says that.
    I used to wear that traditional one but changed to a little elegant one some time back. But i preserved that one, which i wore on the day of my marriage.
    while on this, please check out the link :
    Srivaishnavam Essence

6. RevathiIyengar

RevathiIyengar New IL'ite

Oh, it is not just the metti oli, even the Mookkuthi and Besari are more worth for a woman to look beautifylly.

The article on many other ornameents are sure to give the value for the readers. Nowadays, many just ignore the values but once convinced, they do accept the reality! Here are the links for more such sutff :

Jewellery Ornaments of varities listing with scientific reasons available at Srivaishnavam Essence

Oh, one full page devoted to Mookuthi, at Srivaishnavam Nose Ring Mookuthi

Hope members find these links very useful. Also, many other articles on Lifestyles and Religion are available at Srivaishnavam, Srivaishnava Practices Essence

Best wishes to every member,
    Revathi Iyengar

7. v.gajalakshmi

v.gajalakshmi New IL'ite

i was mislead by the title. i thought it about the song. i like to hear the song always. it is a evergreen song. that movie was also good.

metti was my favourite one before marriage and one year after marriage. now i am not so intrested .

8. Neesha

Neesha Senior IL'ite

Hi

Interestingly on my first trip to India in 1995, I bought these beautiful silver rings on the roadside and wore them. I was wondering why the shop keepers were looking at me funny and then someone explained those are toe rings!! and I was wearing them on my fingers!

Well in tamil weddings thats the part I like the most when the guy has to get down to your feet! - just kidding. When I got married the toe rings collected with the thali from the jeweller was thin wire and I only used it on the day.

But now its summer I'm gonna try some pretty ones. Here they sell gold ones but I got the feeling that its not good to put gold on your feet.

Regards Neesha

9. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Janani,
    Thank you for the reply.Good that you have 3 pairs now.....Sukra is supposed to be a very good shop for all pooja items i heard so....

10. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Kanaka,
    Thanks for the reply. My first metti worn on wedding day was a :salangai" metti, but the bells came off within 8 months, so i changed to uruttu metti and now have a designer one.

I dunt paint nails coz, within a week it gets off half faded and i have no time to repaint them every week :( :(.., but indeed it looks good with a painted nail :)