1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Metamorphosis Of Friendship

Discussion in 'Poetry' started by SuiDhaaga, Jul 8, 2021.

1. SuiDhaaga

SuiDhaaga IL Hall of Fame

I posted cake
    On your FB page
    But you never reciprocate

I bought you
    Gift for baby shower
    But you made fun
    Of my hobby
    Of plush girls of power

I gave money
    When your Father
    Was sick
    You turned around
    And demoted me
    What a d1ck!

At every turn
    I tried to be
    Your friend
    But I guess
    You never held
    Up your end

It was no bargain
    It was no quid pro quo
    I just wanted to
    Make few friends
    And have a good time,
    You know

You only remembered me
    When you needed a maid
    You only remembered me
    When you needed to
    Pull my braid
    You only remember me
    When you wanted to
    Taunt me
    So you can show off to
    Others how great you are
    And how haughty

With people like you
    No one needs enemies
    I am sick and tired
    Of being chewed

Goodbye, au revoir
    You think you are great
    But you ain't a superstar
    Now ain't that QUAINT

Inspired by all this Friendship talk by @Hopikrishnan , @Amica

And this evergreen song with Late Dilip Kumar

Amica, chanchitra and messedup like this.

2. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

Metamorphosis ?
    Some words get so associated with specific things. This word goes with Franz Kafka, for his well-analyzed story "The Metamorphosis". Check out the plot in Wikipedia. A simple school essay interpretation of that story is "people change, and therefore shít happens". Of course, you'd recognize this as an obvious corollary to:
    Cogito, ergo sum-- is a philosophical statement that was made in Latin by René Descartes, usually translated into English as "I think, therefore I am"...... As Descartes explained it, "we cannot doubt of our existence while we doubt." A fuller version, articulated by Antoine Léonard Thomas, aptly captures Descartes's intent: dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum ("I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am"). The dictum is also sometimes referred to as the cogito. [source: wikipedia]​

What IL-Hall-of-Famer Amica recommended in Making-Friends thread is to doubt, while thinking.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    Amica and SuiDhaaga like this.
  3. SuiDhaaga

You always have interesting replies.

I never heard of The Metamorphosis, but I got a quick punch to the stomach when I read, "During the short trip, Mr. and Mrs. Samsa realize that, in spite of the hardships that have brought some paleness to her face, Grete has grown up into a pretty and well-figured lady. They think about finding her a husband."

In other words all the relationships within one's own family is transactional. No unconditional love.

I read about Caregivers (in other forums) about how some people truly care for their parents even at the last breath while the remaining family members have given up on them. Even Doctors have dismissive attitude towards the elderly and frail. Perhaps I am digressing a bit.

In other words, our relationships in this world are transactional. Perhaps we think we have unconditional love (hec, I'm not talking about friendship anymore) to our parents, siblings, children, etc, but if situation were to change, would we also change?

But I am confused about this part. How is @Amica Making-Friends thread to doubt, while thinking. Puzzled :confused:

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. SuiDhaaga

If possible, can you recommend more stories like this. Whenever possible.

I never learned about this, but I believe it is a mirror to Humanity. We think we are Saints, we are not!

5. Hopikrishnan

Stories Like that ? You can easily google the word "kafkaesque" and go on a reading trip.

Here is a secret that is very much out in the open: there are many fans of that kind of Kafka genre, namely kafkaesque stories, who revel in reading the posts in married-life, and In-laws sub-forums on this site.

There is one anthology sold on Amazon. The amazon site has this to say <I am certainly not suggesting buy this book>:
    The tourist shops of Prague sell dozens of items commemorating Franz Kafka. You can drink a latte in the Café Kafka, add sugar to it from a packet with Kafka’s face on it, and then light your cigarette from a box of Kafka matches.

Franz Kafka died in obscurity in 1924, publishing only a handful of bizarre stories in little-known literary magazines. Yet today he persists in our collective imaginations. Even those who have never read any of Kafka’s fiction describe their tribulations with the Department of Motor Vehicles as being Kafkaesque.

Kafkaesque explores the fiction of generations of authors inspired by Kafka’s work. These dystopic, comedic, and ironic tales include T. C. Boyle’s roadside garage that is a never-ending trial, Philip Roth’s alternate history in which Kafka immigrates to America to date his aunt, Jorge Luis Borges’s labyrinthine public lottery that redefines reality, Carol Emshwiller’s testimony by the first female to earn the right to call herself a "man” and Paul Di Filippo’s unfamiliar Kafka? journalist by day, costumed crime-fighter by night.

Also included is Kafka’s classic story ?The Hunger Artist,” appearing both in a brand-new translation and in an illustrated version by legendary cartoonist R. Crumb (Fritz the Cat). Additionally, each author discusses Kafka’s writing, its relevance, its personal influence, and Kafka’s enduring legacy.​

Thyagarajan, Amica and SuiDhaaga like this.
  6. SuiDhaaga

I've heard of the word "Kafka" previously. Just didn't know what it was. Will definitely check!

7. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

@SuiDhaaga, a beautiful gut-wrenching poem. Our world is full of amazing, wonderful, caring people. I hope they find their way into your life soon.

Thanks for sharing this song. I hadn't heard it before.

SuiDhaaga and Mistt like this.
  8. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Whoa! Philosophy is not my department. I try hard not to think. :p

Thyagarajan and SuiDhaaga like this.
  9. SuiDhaaga

Thank you, thank you, thank you so much!

Amica likes this.
  10. Hopikrishnan

Exhausted And Tired