1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Mental Health: Coping With Lows.

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by GeetaKashyap, Aug 22, 2018.

1. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

2. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

3. Blinky

Blinky Bronze IL'ite

Everyone musters unique coping strategies in life. I am rarely poked by anyone for counsel: i am super confused in life. i don't know what to do. i am down-at-heel. i am low in spirit. where should i even begin?

No one approaches me with that inquiry in my real life for they are intimidated that I'd prattle obscure and bogus lead to life's persistent challenges. On an online forum, despite unsolicited, I can sneak in my cherished advice edgeways. Here's what I recommend to anyone too strained to think straight with haunting troubles in life.

Let's begin. Internet is free in Starbucks. There's a book titled Travel Book: A Journey through every country in the world (lonely planet) priced at fifty dollars available for free in the 30-day trial period of Amazon Prime. Even if one is indigent, free up a weekend to invade Starbucks, download this book on the phone and read for straight eight hours.

In the Antarctica chapter, under the section "Getting under the skin", find a mention of "Listen to Rothera Station's wintering rock band Nunatak - made up of two scientists, two engineers and a field assistant". Search in google for Nunatak Music. Be redirected to an NPR page on the origin of the band formed during the Live Earth celebration to represent Antarctica to consummate the event's promise to hold a concert on all seven continents. The research staff stepped up in solidarity as musicians. They entertained and played to a sold-out audience of seventeen humans in that icy research campus, perhaps twenty with three stray penguins who might have wandered around. Watch here.

In eight hours when you reach the last entry, that is, Zimbabwe, none of your worldly interfaces will cease to exist. The cantankerous in-laws, the noisy parents, the finicky lover, the unruly colleagues, the big-bad-ugly world will remain the same. However, you ascend in that unrewarding task of playfully discovering the capital cities of 193 countries. As Ichiro Kishimi and Fumitake Koga wrote once somewhere, in some page of their some book -- "we do not suffer from the shock of our experiences -- the trauma -- but instead we make out of them whatever suits our purposes. We are not determined by our experiences, but the meaning we give them is self-determining".

After the intense eight hours, going through the culture, language, symbolism, history and triumphs of each country, you grasp that it is the broadened meaning you assign to your interactions in the big-bad-wolfy-world poised for remediation. Even in the dark and icy and remote corners of the world, if one can draw out purpose and ambition to brighten up, you, the reader, are in the civilized world of Starbucks sipping extremely customized latte with microfoam art.

That's my economical mental health tip of the day to that imaginary "you" inquiring where should I even begin to cope with the lows of life.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    startinganew likes this.
  4. Lonla

Lonla New IL'ite

Hi, I am new to the club. Just wondering if I could get to know someone who has OCD or has had OCD in the past. Love to share experiences and thought process around it.

Kind Regards,
    Lonla

5. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Welcome to IL!
    I suggest starting a new thread with specific questions for you to get others to chime in. I hope you find the answers you are looking for. Welcome again!

6. AVisenMD

AVisenMD New IL'ite

Hi Lonla,
    I am a medical doctor and I won't hesitate to accept that I have struggled with OCD for a better part of my life. Thankfully, I have managed to always keep it under control by trying whatever that can seem to release my anxiety around it. What are your thoughts and experiences regarding it? Do share!

7. sankara1

sankara1 Silver IL'ite

Lots of interesting info here! I was on a podcast talking about a few easy ways to get ourselves back into the swing. I hope to make it into a free ebook.

Attached Files:

Laks09 likes this.
  8. sankara1

sankara1 Silver IL'ite

MINI CHALLENGE: Choose a positive word as your mantra today and live by it!

Some possibilities: Inspired. Happy. Healthy. Generous. Fabulous. Magnificent. Delightful. Brave. Excellent.

❓⭐ What word are YOU choosing today?

messedup likes this.