1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Men's Blazer Or Suit Jacket Suggestions

Discussion in 'Clothing & Apparels' started by Rihana, May 19, 2021.

1. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

First few times should go to store to see fit and talk to sales guy.
    Shoulder pads should be soft, and not seem like the child is out to play football. Fit shoulders, and sleeves not too loose (most children are chubby these days) are the two points a suit should to pass first. Once upon a time a comedian made a joke about a suit that looked like the wearer forgot to take out the hanger from it before he put it on.

Salesmen sending out customers with badly fitted shoulders is so common that the Britcom "Are you being served?" [Menswear section of department store is the setting for the comedy] had the stock line repeated by the salesstaff so often: "don't worry, it will ride up with wear".
    Added pic. later source: How to Buy A Suit: The Complete GQ guide
    upload_2021-5-20_11-39-41.png
    Jacket length and sleeve length should fit. The Roll at the nape is always a thing the shop will have to fix. This is true for both boys and girls, and the jackets on the rack will have collars loosely stitched so that this roll can be fixed.
    Heaviness of jacket comes from both the textile, and the inner lining. Most spring/summer blazers and sports jackets will not have much of a lining inside -- just a little bit to support the shoulder pads. Fully lined jackets (including inside the sleeves) are worn in colder weathers.

Last edited: May 20, 2021
    Rihana likes this.
  2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I thought so. I know that Nordstrom offers stylist consultations. They did it online last year. Maybe call your store and check if someone from men’s will help with the blazer virtually. They will need you to measure so they can alter to fit though. I would prefer doing it in store. I was in Nordstrom yesterday and noticed that when I walked in as they opened the crowd was significantly lesser than when I walked out a couple of hours later. HTH!

Rihana likes this.
  3. Hopikrishnan

Had to search and find it...
    "Preoccupied with weighty matters, he frequently would forget to remove the coat hanger from his jacket while he wore it. I reminded him of it one time at a Princeton Commencement, and he smiled calmly and said, “Good, let those who have taken issue with my theories think at least that I have broad shoulders.” <source>

The collar (or Nape) roll and the shoulder fitting are the easiest to see in a jacket. I wanted to see if things had changed since my days of buying suits for work. Now we have a lot more pictures on the internet, and things are described well for the consumer to understand. Top 10 Signs You’re in a Poor-Fitting Suit

10. Jacket shoulder sag/bite

When trying on a suit jacket or blazer, the first thing you should look at is the shoulder.

There are a couple of major signs that the suit you’re wearing isn't the right fit: shoulder sag and shoulder bite. Both are bad, but sag is the greater of the two evils. These sins occur when the jacket’s shoulder width doesn’t match the shoulders of the wearer.

When the shoulders/armholes of a suit or sport jacket are too tight, you get a divot on the arm towards the back of the sleeve head, known as bite.

When the shoulders are too wide you end up with shoulder sag – the '90s Chicago banker look. You know what we mean.

A jacket should fall clean off your shoulder, with just a slight amount of shoulder coming out beyond the armhole.

How to fix it: If you notice shoulder sag or bite when trying on a jacket, it's best to try a different size or go the custom route. A tailor can fix it to some degree, but it's difficult to adjust and will probably be expensive.

Last edited: May 20, 2021
    Rihana likes this.
  4. Tubinbataye

Tubinbataye Gold IL'ite

Rihana likes this.
  5. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

@Rihanna- I totally hear you! My husband (on the rare occasions when he shops) takes forever to decide on things! I can buy the whole store in that much time!

Just order a few different styles from Nordstorm, Banana republic (They have nice, slim-fit jackets- good for a teenager), and Amazon and see what he likes and send the rest back. Unless he is going in a business major, he will hardly ever wear a jacket anyway. Make sure to buy a wrinkle-resistant so he can throw it in the bag and can wear it again if needed. Don't buy an expensive wool jacket, it will just stay in the closet.

My MIL still complains about my DH and BIL that they expected nice clothes to appear in their closets the night before the award ceremony but won't go shopping. Teenagers were the same even in the 90s. :)

Rihana likes this.
  6. Flyhigher

Flyhigher Gold IL'ite

Macy's, J Crew, and Nordstrom offer personal stylists. You can book appointments online.

Banana Republic, J Crew, Ralph Lauren have a great wrinkle-resistant collection. Old navy has some casual travel kind of styles.

Sports coats can wear on T-shirts, sweaters, polos, and Cinco shorts. I have seen my husband, nephew, brother does that and it looks stylish.

For interviews, I would suggest looking for the company's interview dress code. Because some companies require business formal whereas some will be OK with business casuals.

Linen and linen blend with cotton, are best for summer, spring. But they get wrinkles easily. Another trend is hopsack fabric they are lightweight, breathable.

Buy which has some texture that can be worn as formal as well as casual wear.

This link has some sports jacket fabric gallery.
    Sport Jacket Fabric Overview

Rihana likes this.
  7. Hopikrishnan

Such pants go well with vertical lined jackets, or lighter (sky blue, moss green) colored jackets. And jackets with vertical lines or textures...
    Seersucker [Seersucker fabric has been around for centuries. Its name comes from the Persian phrase shir-o-shakhar, meaning “milk and sugar” for the alternating textures. ... As a lightweight, hard-wearing fabric, imported seersucker was most often used for summer and work]​
    Seersuccer cloth is somewhat wrinkle resistant (can be folded and carried in a backpack, or loaned out to friends), because the texture itself hides the wrinkles. Slight rolls, misfits etc.. can go unnoticed in such textured fabric jackets. All brands will have seersucker fabric jackets.

Lanky, Tall children (I am thinking basketball) aren't the standard for whom the coats on the rack are made; they should go to a department store, and try a few jackets to look at shoulders, collar-roll, sleeve length, button and feel the looseness around the middle and then choose one that the shop-tailor can fix the minor things -- roll, and looseless are the easiest to fix. However, I saw the Mom vs. Dad approach, and you not talking to the child as well. There are only DDream & Rihana with solutions for such domestic issues:
    :smile:
    If the outlet allows returns, then you can order with shoulder, and sleeve measurements; and hope the child lucks out with minimal/no roll on the collar. Many outlets have measurement guides. l like UniQlo for teens, because they are not expensive, and kids grow out of them so quickly too.
    I like this one for dark pants: https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/men-li...LWvxldy86TdszEJXReoaAoJKEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Rihana likes this.