1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Melody, Thy Name Is Madan Mohan

Discussion in 'Music and Dance' started by Cheeniya, Jun 20, 2018.

1. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

Someone like MSV in the 50's?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@poovai
    MSV was a classic artist who changed the South Indian music into a classic mould. He was not formally educated in music. He was born so poor that his widowed mother killed herself and his sister. His grandpa saved him at the last minute. He was highly philanthropic . When AR Rehman won the Oscar Award for music he was the first to go and garland him. He was a very rare human being.

poovai likes this.
  3. Cheeniya

How did I forget these two songs from Dek Kabira Roya?

Sung soulfully by Manna Dey

Sung by Talat Mahmood
    You should have heard me singing these songs some 50 years back!
    Look at the action of Anoop Kumar, brother of Ashok Kumar and Kishore Kumar!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    Rajijb and Gauri03 like this.
  4. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The word 'great' is tossed about indiscriminately these days but Madan Mohan (MM) was truly a giant among the greats of Indian film music. Picking a few favorites from his discography is an impossible task so I won't even try. Just mentioning a few that popped into my mind reading through the other posts on this thread.

Dastak (1970), Mausam (1975), Haqeeqat (1964), Dekh Kabira Roya (1957) and Heer Ranjha (1970) are some of my favorite soundtracks composed by MM. For some of these movies like Mausam and Dastak I cannot pick one song over the other. @Rajijb mentioned "Mai ri main kase kahoon.." I cannot put into words the feelings this song evokes. Like SD Burman, MM had a glorious singing voice. This is Mai Ri sung by MM. I have a slight preference for this version over the one by Lata Mangeshkar. (The Mohd Rafi pic is misleading.)

Hoke Majboor Mujhe from Haqeeqat, a heart tugging composition that has Indian Army soldiers imagining the reactions of their loved ones to the news of their deaths. Talat Mahmood, Rafi, Manna Dey and Bhupinder in one song make this one a rare gem. Kaifi Azmi's words never fail to get me misty eyed.

Another Lata Mangeshlar classic from Haqeeqat,

Most people remember Geeta Dutt's peppy happy, Ae dil mujhe bata de from Bhai Bhai, but this one by Lata is my personal favorite,

MM is known for his complex classical based melodies but he was quite the ghazal composer as well. I think his ghazals are some of the best in Bollywood movies.

From Dastak,

Hum hain mata-e-koocha-o-baazar ki tarah
    uth-ti hai har nigaah kharidaar ki tarah

(I am like a thing in a market lined up on a street for sale,
    every gaze rises in appraisal like that of a buyer.)

From Ghazal (1964) two songs that are minor variations of each other. The subtleties in MM's composition change the mood from romantic to melancholy between the two ghazals which are essentially the same song.

Naghma O Sher Ki Saugaat Kise Pesh Karun

Rang aur noor ki baraat

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    Cheeniya, kaniths and Rajijb like this.
  5. Cheeniya

Dear @Gauri03
    It's a pity that MM did not continue singing. There are some sixty songs sung by him. They are all highly melodious. I do not think SD Burman has sung as many songs though some of his songs are highly unique and trendsetters. I have a collection of around 15 songs sung by him.
    Hoke Mujboor is one of MM's best songs. Zara Si Aahat Hoti Hai To Dil Sochta Hai sung by Lata for Priya Rajvansh is a haunting melody. Priya did so well in the movie. Bhai Bhai was produced by the famous AVM of Chennai first in Tamil and later adopted for Hindi. All the songs in the movie are great hits. Kadar Jane Na Mora Balam by Lata is a very fine song sung for Nimmi. Nimmi with her pinched nose was my all time favourite.
    Thanks a lot for your detailed response with amazing selection of songs
    Sri

Gauri03 likes this.