1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mehendi now in South Indian Weddings.

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Chitvish, May 6, 2007.

1. Ushakrishnan64

Ushakrishnan64 Silver IL'ite

Dear Chitra,
    We had celebrated Mehendi ceremony for my niece (though it was purly SI wedding). The Mehendiwali was explaining to me that they have general guidelines as follows:
    (1) The bride's sister will apply Mehendi on the front & back of the hand upto the elbow. (similar to the bride)
    (2) Close family will have mehendi on the front and back only upto the wrist
    (3) The rest will put mehendi covering the full palm or motif.

It was amazing to understnd this part of Mehendi ceremony. As you said, followed by Dandiya, other dances and Chat items!!

Regards
    USHA

2. pavithrasriram

pavithrasriram Bronze IL'ite

hi everybody,
    yes mehendi functions are becomin quite popularthese days.i basically think in this fast movin world even reltives get together only in such functions so its nice to have a great celebration that time and also for the bride and groom they can cherish it forever.
    and ya about the mehendi tradition i have more news for you people.well i used to do this with my north indian friends for all the weddings when i am in chennai.
    1.the more colour you get the more ur husband loves you.(its usually beleived like that by north indians)
    2.the rajasthani mehendi gives more colour. In chennai the gotewala one and everest gives gud brown colour.
    3.the colour depends on ones body heat as well.
    above all it increases the patience of the person who is applyin and also who is gettin it done.
    it really improves ur imagination.
    though arabic and motifs are becomin popular i always like the traditional bombay or rajasthani style mehendi!!!!!
    i think all si weddings can now make mehendi function a part of the marriage celebrations.
    luv:wave
    pavithra

Last edited: May 12, 2007
  3. gvi

gvi Senior IL'ite

Dear Mrs.Chitra
    Very enjoyable post and pictures. Its nice of you post the pictures and information abt. mehendi ceremony in tamil weddings.

I knew Mehendi is put couple of days before wedding with friends and cousins joining the bride in a house . But this dancing, chat is totally new and a news to me. How I miss Madras more :icon_frown: . But after I got married 4 of my cousins and 1 niece(!) got married and I couldn't get to attend even one. I was very depressed during each wedding as I was close to them all and I couldn't attend. anyway my soha kadai apart next time when I come to India I would really luv to attend a wedding preferably with Mehendi ceremony (thought I dont dance:mrgreen: ) but luv Mehendi and chat very much .

Sorry for boring you and again thanks for your informative post.

I have one doubt though the place where the Mehendi function took place in your family looks like a Mandapam. So how does that work. Did you have to rent a Mandapam for this function?

Pls.enlighten me

Thanks
    geetha

4. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Geetha,
    For mehendi function, now a days, small community halls are fixed up. It is better to have a stage for dance, if possible & enough place for the chats to be served.
    This function took place in a hall Ragasudha, adjacent to the Nageswara Rao Park near Luz.
    Now, Geetha, don't:cry:
    Even now I am inviting you to attend fully starting from mehendi ceremony, my gd's wedding - don't ask me when ! She has just completed her MBA & is employed !:tongue
    Love,
    Chithra.

5. shreyasri

shreyasri New IL'ite

dear chithra,

we have been living out of india for quite some time now. it amuses me to know that such things as mehendi are on in chennai. thanks for sharing ur experience with us.
    such cultural exchange is welcome as it is believed to even out differences among people-north,south,etc. the married women were expected to attend weddings clad in pattu saris....to go sit there just talking to others. hope,this situation will change,allowing us to take part and have some fun too.
    at the same time,i also hope that the younger generation won't be confused abt our originality and also not give up our tradition in search of all imported ones.
    what do u say?

shreyasri

6. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shreyasri,
    Thanks for replying me.
    Yes, I too love importing healthy, enjoyable traditions from the other parts of our country.
    But let me tell you, the younger generation do respect tradition very much and want to go by it ( depending on their bringing up, ofcourse!). They are not only, not confused, but know their priorities very clearly !
    I have example in my grand daughters !
    Love,
    Chithra.

7. shreyasri

shreyasri New IL'ite

dear ma'am,
    tru. all depends on the upbringing. external influence is not new. it has been there at every point of time in history-even in the days when any of us grew up and much much earlier also. still, most of us don't go astray for fear of bringing disgrace.that way,perhaps,we stand as models to our like-minded juniors.

shreyasri

8. gvi

gvi Senior IL'ite

Dear Mrs.Chitra

Hmm, thats nice to know people are celebrating mehendi functions in a grand scale. Thank you very much for the invitation. Nowadays nobody want to invite even 2/3 tier relatives for wedding and you are generous in extending your invitation.

But If i happen to be in Madras during your pethi's wedding, you can count me in in your invitees list.

Geetha

9. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

Cool!!! I have always wondered why South Indians never dance or sing as much as North Indians.. Seems like Chennai is picking up fast.

Mrs.CV, thanks for keeping us , poor NRIs updated!!

:mrgreen:

10. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Last edited: May 27, 2007