1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Measure For Measure

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Thyagarajan, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello: MEASURE FOR MEASURE :hello:

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2021 to all indusladies members and staff

It has been a kind of ritual and governments in the comity of Nation declare a holiday to its citizens to welcome a fresh flow of time of 365 or 366 days under a new canto called “NEW YEAR”. Mankind has been wishing for itself that another quantity of time of 365/366 days while news papers of the world tabulate the past events to stir variety if emotions in its readers. Media is abuzz with highlighting showing clips of calamities, deaths of celebrities and fall and rise of governments. A virtual recapitulation of events that one can be glad and sad.

A resolution to begin and renew efforts to attain higher goals would be the talk among equals in high places. Hundreds of people have been wishing me with profuse words but momentarily it keeps me glad or make me to forget remain sad. Inabsolute terms, these wishes - do they make any difference.

My military boss on New year day or the next day ( when new year commenced on holiday) used to be on trot to wish shaking hands around and every individual in the office premises would be wished by him.

Later when I joined in civilian establishment, I did follow this and around after about 200 handshakes I used to get fatigued. It is no public holiday for new year in the organisations i was employed. Yet the office would practically celebrate that day as holiday. The staff union conduct Sathyanarayana Pooja with wonderful lunch prepared in the premises which helped in better camaraderie among staff and officers. With men and women in traditional attire’s within office premises would turn it as if a festival conducted in one’s own home.

I recall words of Steve jobs.

As pandemic Year 2020 winds up and curtain falls, another curtain raises up ushering in the beginning of 2021, my mind goes back to words of Steve Jobs who was after time money & energy!

Here are his words:

"I reached the pinnacle of success in the business world. In others' eyes, my life is an epitome of success.

However, aside from work, I have little joy. In the end, wealth is only a fact of life that I am accustomed to.

At this moment, lying on the sick bed and recalling my whole life, I realize that all the recognition and wealth that I took so much pride in, have paled and become meaningless in the face of impending death.

In the darkness, I look at the green lights from the life supporting machines and hear the humming mechanical sounds, I can feel the breath of god of death drawing closer ... Now I know, when we have accumulated sufficient wealth to last our lifetime, we should pursue other matters that are unrelated to wealth ... Should be something that is more important:

Perhaps relationships, perhaps art, perhaps a dream from younger days Non-stop pursuing of wealth will only turn a person into a twisted being, just like me. God gave us the senses to let us feel the love in everyone’s heart, not the illusions brought about by wealth.

The wealth I have won in my life I cannot bring with me. What I can bring is only the memories precipitated by love.

That's the true riches which will follow you, accompany you, giving you strength and light to go on. Love can travel a thousand miles. Life has no limit. Go where you want to go. Reach the height you want to reach. It is all in your heart and in your hands.

What is the most expensive bed in the world?

Sick bed ... You can employ someone to drive the car for you, make money for you but you cannot have someone to bear the sickness for you.
    Material things lost can be found. But there is one thing that can never be found when it is lost - Life.

......... that there is one book that he has yet to finish reading — Book of Healthy Life.

Whichever stage in life we are at right now, with time, we will face the day when the curtain comes down. Treasure Love for your family, love for your spouse and love for your friends.

Treat yourself well. Cherish others."

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    Viswamitra likes this.

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Thyagarajan Sir,

What a delightful snippet this is! The words of wisdom from Steve Jobs you have quoted are profound and timely for the period we are experiencing. The title "measure for measure" is an apt title for what you had written. We take time for granted until one becomes fighting against the time. Time is the only thing that is assigned in the measure of 86,400 seconds every day that elapses at the end of the day never to be used again. Whatever else we are able to accumulate doesn't come with us either. Immortality is about living in the heart of everyone who continue the journey after one makes a departure. We seek everything from outside instead of discovering what we already possess inside of us. We unfortunately measure the number of days we spent on this planet as opposed to measuring the quality of each day. The one that has the light that can shine with added luster is encapsulated with desires and attachments. True liberation is freedom we feel from our own desires and attachments and finding the spring of love inside of us.

3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Thyagarajan sir,

Happy New Year to you! Even though you don't shale hands anymore and only do elbow touches, and despite the fatigue, I am sure you miss those cherished moments. Thank you for sharing that. The truth as I see, everyone is busy in their busy lives fighting for what they believe in - which is all fine. It is when we interact with others, that we fail to look at them with clean eyes - you know not from any perspective at all. We miss that opportunity to get to know others almost everyday - even in our closest of interactions. Those preconceived notions - either because ofo ur outlook, or experiences makes us all miss those fine moments. I personally want to feel more grounded, doing things that matter deliberately, appreciating what others are doing also deliberately :) How about that for a new measure?