1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Married Life- Life I Didn't See It Coming

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by iliketotravel, Jun 1, 2016.

1. iliketotravel

iliketotravel Bronze IL'ite

Hello Ladies,

Hope this tread finds everyone well.

The reason i am posting here today is, i feel i am at place in life where my mind has stopped working and not sure what to do next.

Just a little intro about my relationship with my husband. Ours is a love marriage. No In laws issues. we both are well qualified and in good positions career wise as well. I know my husband loves me and he is the love of my life. Married for last 6 years and known him since 12 years. He has never asked me a penny of mine. Always kept me like a princess. My husband is a genuinely nice and a gentle person by heart. He is very hardworking, goal oriented and focussed person. Never ever spoken rudely to me since i have known him.

With that being said, i am having an issue, I am 32 year old woman. No kids yet and trying to conceive. My problem is as a couple we are not able to balance out married and work life. Sounds simple to implement, but trust me- i have got depressed over it now. He has turned into a workaholic. the only celebrations we have is our promotions/ pay increase. He has grown in to a very high level in a very reputed company and so did I. But now i am getting a feeling of emptiness. I have always wanted to have a cozy family where we have some level of work life balance. I grew in my career just i had to keep up with him. But i do not love my job. Now i got to a point where i hate it.

My managers are very nice to me, they treat me like a daughter and have always looked into my well being. At one point, it became my office priority to get me near to my husband. When i first took job with my company, i had just got married and and we both were together. But as soon as we got married my husband got urge to earn more so that we (when we have kids)could have a comfortable life. He has this idea of retirement in his mind where he sees all kids graduated from best schools, and we having a bunch of money in our accounts to live life happily in our 70's. (With the way life is going I do not think i will make it even 50!!) He moved to different states while i was working at my company and visited me every weekend . Then he landed a full time job with a very high salary, and my company was good enough that they let me work remote full time so that i could join him. I understood what he wanted, and supported him in his dreams. Then he got a big promotion and that got him moving to places, japan, india, europe.We have no weekends, no holidays nothing all the time he is working. I sometimes feel that he thinks that company is running just because of him.

Whenever i ask what is that we are doing, he says this is for our future. But i am really sick of it. Whenever he is with me (Once a week) he spends 100% of his time with me. But i want more than a day in a week. Seems even after our 6 years of marriage our honeymoon period is not over. He is in the office almost 16-18 hrs a day with production issues, managerial issues and what not. I feel him , i hear him. i feel bad for picking up a fight then, as i have also worked in the pressured environments. i put myself in his shoes and keep quite. But now i feel i am turning into a volcano. now everytime, i call i pick up a fight. and hence the frequency of our calls has also reduced.

i am very scared that this relationship will turn to a very bitter one pretty soon. we have no friends and i am getting very lonely. I don't feel like doing another activity even if i do- i am not 100% in it. My heart is not happy. Nothing is working out kids, married life being like this, hating my job. I do not want to take up a new job at all. I am craving for family time. I have decided to go to India, for six months. I want to see what will happen. I want to be with my family, my mom is a very strong person, she would hate me for leaving my ground and coming home like helpless. but i have no other go. I do not want to stay away from husband alone, nor i do not want go to my mom because, i know she won't be happy with me sitting idle(meaning not being financially independent) at home and away from my husband. She will support me, but again in the back of my mind i am adding stress to her.

I have no doubt in my mind that i love him and he loves me.But i just want more of him. I am very understanding person by nature.i would have been on his side if he had some time for me.i feel me being patient and understanding has not helped me, instead it came to bite me.

thank you for reading through this long thread. but i am wondering, what would you do if you were in my shoes. I keep thinking what i should have done differently or what would you do if you were in my place.

2. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

So basically you are unhappy with your lack of time with your husband, unhappy with your job and unhappy with the overall state of your life where you dont have kids but also dont enjoy your life as is. Here are my ideas.

1. Do something YOU enjoy. Find your passion.
    No doubt your husband's killer schedule and lack of couple time is leaving you bored, lonely and unhappy. But I also think part of your unhappiness comes from the fact that you do not enjoy your work. In other words, you are probably engaged in an activity that you are not passionate about or do not find meaningful purpose in. On the contrary your husband is immersed, enjoys his work, has a mission like zeal, & doesnt feel his immersion a problem to him (aside from a basic difference b/w the two of you in terms of attitude towards work/life balance). Have you considered doing something (paying or non paying) that you find happiness in , that brings meaning and purpose to you as a person ? I think you can resolve some of your crisis, and bring some degree of happiness yourself into your life by doing something you enjoy. Maybe you dont like the rat race or your career, but you could really self-examine what activity/ endeavor/ vocation would see you happily spend 4-6 hrs each day and not know how time flies !

2. Carve time during work week - Lunch/ Coffee dates ? Joint activities ?
    Ambitious retirement plans need ambitious work schedules. So in a way i dont blame your husband for working so hard towards the common good. But you need to sit your husband down and really explain how distressed you are. It's wonderful that the man takes out 1 day a week for you - but you need to communicate your problem and distress at his absence in your life, in a calm manner and explain to him how serious this issue is for you - how much it is affecting you, your fears even. Not such a bad idea even if you showed him this post. If he truly loves you I am sure he will help you come up with some solution ideas. Have you tried meeting each other for lunch or coffee a few times during the work week ? Wld your husband be interested in taking a class with you that might help him reduce his stress while also increasing time spent with you ? eg: early morning yoga class or gym sessions ? I don't think a person can be SO busy that he cant take time off to lunch with his wife or signup for some activities a couple of days a week.

3. Is it the blues ?

When you say you are depressed - are you clinically depressed or was that a figure of speech? I noticed a pattern in your statements - a state of helplessness, indecision, unhappiness, wanting help but at the same time pulling away - that feels more like clinical depression but then I could be wrong. I'd suggest you do something to ease your agitated and distressed mental state. I'd recommend that you talk to a therapist and examine if you are indeed depressed. Get help if you need it, it can lighten the load immensely.

4. Take a break
    Also I think a trip to India and some time with your mom is not a bad idea but you probably could use 6 months to try a lot of different things as well to see what helps you get out of the funk. Eg- travel somewhere either solo or with a close girlfriend, try yoga/dancing/other stress relief activities. Try local meetups where you engage with people who share your interests.

I think collectively, all of the ideas above might reduce the burden of expectation of your husband filling a major void in your life. But at the same time effective, empathetic communication between the two of you could help increase contact time during the day.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Tell him the 'present' is slipping by.
    Tell him financial security is important,but not the most important.
    Tell him you are not happy with the present state of things.

4. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

Instead of going to India,take Loss of Pay for 6 months or 1 year and focus on conceiving,taking holidays etc.

Your husband may not have weekends,but he cannot say no if you plan a vacation in advance and notify him of the dates.Just discuss reg the dates and take responsibility of booking a vacation yourself-so that your husband's only job is to take leave and join you.

Above all be patient.Nothing works in the snap of a finger.Your husband has gotten used to this high pressure work life,it will take time for him to balance his personal and work life.The more you yell,the more his work hours will get extended.Also you need to focus more on workouts,eating healthy,tracking ovulation and consulting a gynaecologist etc in order to become pregnant.

KashmirFlower and iliketotravel like this.
  5. SCk

SCk Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    You are lucky in one way, that he spends one full 24 hours with you, that sounds wov
    You may take a week leave n plan some interesting trip, money is not a problem I guess
    N once you conceive, you ll be busy with you n your kiddo
    Take steps to conceive, plan n you may even take leave around your perI ovulation period n enjoy
    Above all you need to talk with your husband about how you feel bugged about the routine
    Wish you all happiness!

IniyaaSri and iliketotravel like this.
  6. iliketotravel

Thank you mam, for such a detailed reply. I really appreciate you helping me here. All are such valid points.

Little more details to the points that you suggested.

1) i used to love my job a lot before i got married. But this long distant relationship has got to me. Even though i do my job, back of my mind there is always that my husband is not with me, and that my relationship is not successful in terms of regular standards of marriage. I have some women colleagues , who taunt me, saying what are going to do with all this success in your career, if your husband is not near you. I to some level feel that they are somewhat jealous of my success,but i get pinned quite often with these questions. OMG ... sometimes women are too rude.

2) Regarding having joint activities, its like we are never at one place together. He has a traveling job. Added to my headaches. If he is near by (Even at four hour driving distance he comes home to me)

3) OMG you nailed it here. You put it exactly in words, what i was feeling. Thats what i am feeling. I do not have resentment towards my husband but towards his job. the problem is i somewhat understand why he is doing it, but i do not like what he is doing. I am not clinically depressed, but it would not hurt to check them out. I will check someone out when i got to india. i have a feeling that the therapists here will not get the complete background or indian marriage mindset. i know i am assuming regarding the therapist, here without even trying out. I and my husband have a very open conversation. He exactly knows what i feel and he acknowledges it, and he says he is doing a mistake and will make more time for me. But i feel, for him it means taking a low paying job. His company pays a ridiculous amount of salary and bonus. Cannot beat it anywhere in the market. And he is not ready to let go for me. Sometimes i feel like i am crazy, with this trying too much to understand him, and putting my wants on the backseat. And i feel I am loosing my identity somewhere in the process. I also think that - am i that weak, to get flustered over a relationship.But looks like this is my breaking point, and it is sometimes ok to feel weak. Its just the matter of trying to stand after the fall.

4) Yes i also think india trip will help me not sure of the relationship, but for sure ME. I am planning to visit Nepal during my visit to India. I have always dreamt of seeing Mount Everest, and the waking up in the morning in the mountain ranges. I was never able to achieve it so far as i have had only two weeks vacation.I am looking forward to this trip to India, even though he is against it.

The reason i posted to this forum was, i wanted an unbiased analysis of my situation, and this helped. Heart felt thank you.

7. iliketotravel

Thank you for your reply mam. Tried that, He hates surprises :) . I am sure if i plan something like that we will loose our deposits as well. I may getaway with a day, but a week's stretch i am sure he will get mad at me :)
    We have a travel goals, like the countries to visit, things to see. He has promised to check them all off the list. But the thing is it has its own pace. i just have to wait patiently, it could be a month, 6 months or an year. he did check some off and they are most memorable ones. He takes care of things during so nicely. He will drive 20-30 miles trying to find an indian restaurant for me knowing that i like to eat indian even on travel. And i know, if am patient and calm to gethrough this situation, he will check all off the list.

We are in the fertility treatment process, but 2 attempts failed. I am scared to death to do a third one. I will do but after a break may be. This has also taken a toll on me.

8. madras2018

My two cents on the matter of therapists if you decide to talk to one - please do not assume that an indian therapist will understand you better. In my experience I'd say the better ones I found were abroad and they were non-Indians. There are also plenty of Indian-origin therapists in the U.S. Bottom line is better to see someone who you can consult on a regular basis, not someone just on a vacation.

KashmirFlower and iliketotravel like this.
  9. iliketotravel

Yes, I agree.

10. madras2018

Long distance relationships and marriages are hard work. Feels easier if one knows when the long-distance part would end and harder when it seems interminable. The families and wives esp suffer when married to people who travel M-F. So yes, i can empathize with you abt the loneliness aspect.

A starting point to see where the ending point for the long-distance aspect is talk to your husband about how both of you plan to manage work and life once you guys have a baby. Is this going to continue once you have a baby - i.e are you expected to manage the baby by yourself while he visits over the weekend ?

And do ignore those nosy know-it-alls at your work place. I've known a woman who advised me to go slow on my career to pay attention to my personal life when I was on an aggressive growth pace at work. The same woman dumped her boyfriend when she got a great job at a prestigious firm. So ! :) It's all relative - the same women who taunt you making you feel bad abt trading money for the so-called 'regular marriage' may probably not think twice about taking a job (or their husband taking a job) out of state for twice their current salary.

Sairindhri and Vaikuntha like this.