1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Marriage tragedies

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by IndainDad, May 16, 2010.

1. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Medea - Greek Tragey Medea, by Euripides

<button class="ws" title=""></button>Euripides' characterization of Medea exhibits the inner emotions of passion, love, and vengeance.

Women get mad at their husbands and to punish them they kill their children. Euripides wrote about it 431BC. It is not a new problem and does not happen only for certain society.

But it is sad to hear about the baby and the parents.

Peace Be with you.:coffee

2. Tridev

Tridev Silver IL'ite

My mother had said a story about a woman who tied both kids to her and set ablaze because of marital discord, the bodies were charred to death...

the recent case where the MLA in India shot himself , his wife and a young daughter is another e.g. I have read enough stories where men have done the same crimes too . Few months back in Bangalore a man had drowned his 5 year old son in the bucket of water , killed his wife and hanged himself in the bathroom itself. Good God peace be on this world!

3. rastor

rastor New IL'ite

She deserves a very long time in Jail. Throwing her kid in the water, for the sake of getting back at her husband is about the most narcissistic act that I can think of. If you can't bear the weight of life, you trudge on; if you still can't, you go to your lord alone, not drag somebody else with you.

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  4. maggi99

maggi99 Senior IL'ite

Just praying god that the family gets out of this issue and gets back to India in peace. Cant even imagine that women in Jail.

I had leant when small that when you get angry and want to do something out of anger just keep calm for 5 min and think about the same what you wanted to do. You will find that u were gonna do blunder and get away from that thought (I havent penned it properly though)

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  5. riya123

riya123 Gold IL'ite

May be you are right.. One thing is very clear from the incident that the mother is not mentally stable.. May be she even had prior psychological issues which all got accumulated and she took this extreme step.. However i dont justify her actions..
    It is shocking a mother can do such things to her child.. I pray for the child's welfare..
    I have read that postpartum depression if left untreated can lead to suicidal thoughts..
    From my experience it is very painful to live with a psychotic mother.. I think the child should not live with such a mother.. It is better the child does not get a mother's love than live with such a mother..

6. Tridev

Tridev Silver IL'ite

Very hard to say what PP depression can do to anyone. But there are numerous people fighting boredom, people who have lost jobs , who have no way to make any money. People fight day in and day out for their own family. What kind of depression is that a woman throws the child in the sea. Then what is madness? I have no doubt she was in terrible mental distress, call it depression, hopeless ness added to that she may have pscyhological issues.

There is a myth that if there are no fights in couples everything is ok. In fact the other way around me be true . They would not fight, but marriage may have become completely hopeless, loveless. This is way too extreme that she tosses the child in sea and then jumps too.

Something definitely more serious going on than PP depression.

7. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Instead of speculating, its always good to educate oneself about postpartum depression. Never compare illness, coz u never know the severity unless you have it or affected by someone you love.

Postpartum depression: When moms feel out of control - CNN.com

Don't forget to read the reader comments, from Mom's specifically.

8. rastor

rastor New IL'ite

I would be praying god that child would never have to live with a murderer of a mother. The child deserves a future. I am sorry I can't feel any empathy for this woman.

9. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

Do not underestimate post partum depression and harmonal imbalances during pregnancy.They are way too dangerous particularly when you do not have a support.

I used to fight with my hubby like crazy on unneccessary issues and used to assume a lot after I delivered.Thank god!My hubby was so understanding.Though he does not know all these terms post partum depression blah..blah..blah..he understood that this is something related to delivery.He was so understanding and made me understand at every fight on how I am assuming things and fight unneccessarily.OOOF...If not for him it would have been very difficult for me to come out of post partum depression so soon.:bowdown.

need to understand that she is HIS wife and the child she had delivered/born is his child and they have equal responsibility in taking care of children(and wife).Then most of the expectation said in "what does DH want" thread will be met easily.JMO.

On the topic,having first hand experience , I would say it could be due to PP deppression.Also, her hubby was not there to support her when she was in need of his support.

A non-physically-abusive husband can be equally dangerous when he is not there for any support when the wife needs(particularly when the harmones drive you crazy).

I am not supporting her for the murder and suicide attempt , but looks like she was left with no choice.

10. ShilpaMa

ShilpaMa IL Hall of Fame

If the mother has a regular temper issue then I guess its in best interest of the child not to see the mother.. however if this was a 1-off issue then she shall never be able to pardon herself... let alone any restraining order being enforced on her.

When people take extreme steps and especially when they're not regular offenders, there's always a debate on whether it was right or wrong, however no one thinks about the root cause.

Post childbirth a lot of changes comes to a woman's life whilst everyone around prefers to choose ways with which they're least effected.. putting a huge pressure on the mother who's struggling with sleep disorders, feeding troubles, loss of self etc etc... in many cases none in the family ever bother to think that the mother exists at a human level & she can be building up into a volcano, I dont justify what the mother did.. however I want to emphasize on guidelines to be penned by the medical institutes which makes a regular check on the mother as well to ensure that she's on the track or Needs Help.
    Just as an immunization card is issued for the child, a parallel card shouled be handed for the mother to check her frustration levels at regular interval.. many ladies have made too many ADJUSTMENTS harmonally, physically or emotionally to deal with their outcomes.