1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Marriage Alliance - Expecting financial support from the bride by working

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by zoomitup, Jan 11, 2014.

1. zoomitup

zoomitup Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I came across a marriage alliance through one of the leading matrimonial sites.
    As the practise goes, my parents exchanged words about the family background, the guy's job etc with the groom's parents and we matched horoscope.
    The horoscopes matched well and my parents were very happy and decided to take it forward.
    I also like the guy's profile and we talked for one week before we invited him home.
    Within a week's time we were very comfortable talking to each other and I thought there is no reason why this marriage will not get fixed.
    It is just the matter of meeting him and his family and finalizing things. That was the comfort level.

He was a very friendly, jovial, fun to be with guy and most importantly down to earth. Even my parents started to like him though they had justed talked over phone.

Finally the day arrived and he came home. I was very happy to meet him and felt the same comfort that I felt over phone.
    He was the same person. Simple and down to earth yet friendly.Someone i was looking for..

We went out to have some private time and things changed.
    he said I should continue to work to support the family after marriage which was least expected from him.
    I made it very clear that working or not working should be solely my choice and decision and he cannot impose such decisions.
    he said he is not greedy about the money but he cannot support the family alone as he has other commitments.
    Commitments to support his sick brother who was under medication for a critical illness and the expense would run in lakhs.
    Also he would need to support his sis-in-law and kid's upbringing due to his brother's sickness.
    and some charity work that he is doing ... to support under-privileged kids...
    This was too much for me to take in the first meeting...

I was totally disappointed on hearing this .. but could not accept the statement that I would need to work to support his financial situation.
    This alliance didn't proceed due to this condition on my work.

Now its been over 4 months since i met him.. and i am not able to forget him..
    just a month ago he contacted me casually to check my whereabouts.. i was happy to talk to him... though nothing around marriage was discussed.
    other than the work expectation.. he seemed to be a good guy who was responsible towards family's well being..
    Well behaved, fun to be .. well manered guy...with similar interests.. someone i was looking for .. all these years in my search..
    unfortunately at the moment he has lost job and is on a look out for new one...

At the same time ,, i am not able to accept that he wants me to work .. i wish he had not asked for that..
    I am not finding any other proposal attractive .. and
    my heart is still with this guy and waiting for him to change his mind and be confident about handling situations as a man and come back to me..with no conditions..

Please advice on my situation
    1. is it worth going with a commitment to support his brother ,SIL and kid .. ?
    2. is it worth going my heart just because he is good when it comes to his behaviour.. was honest enough to admit his situation.. ?
    3. what kind of financial security can I expect from him say even if he agrees that i need not work... ?

what should I do .. i want to get married at the earliest...
    I am in my early 30s ...I am tired to searching... given that my parents are strict about horoscope matching
    and i hardly find good guys who meet my interests as well as the horoscope... :(

I am lost....and frustrated.....
    need advice from women ..especially married ... who can relate to my situation..

Lots of thanks..

2. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

Are you expecting that he should work? In my thinking it is both spouses responsibility to handle the financial responsibility of the family. Of course if the other party is ill, staying at home taking care of children/aging parents the situation is different but that is only a temporary arrangement.

The family obligation (sick brother) is something he has to take care of. But for example spending on charity is a little bit different issue.

3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

You are not married to him right now so you can afford to think of this from your point of view without feeling guilty or selfish.
    Can you support two families?
    Can you think of a life where you will have to take care of family and work all your life?
    Can you be sympathetic to his brother and his families needs(I think his wife should be the one working and taking on mare financial responsibility) without feeling bitter about it.

Can you be the second priority family all your life?

Can you ever tell if he married you for you or for his life long need for another salary.

Think carefully about yourself because you may not have the option later on.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
    9 people like this.
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

OP,

Here is something to think about - if he had said that in his opinion to maintain a good standard of living for the nuclear family both husband and wife need to work- what would have been your reaction?

The other thing is that the woman's decision to work can be something she insists on, and should insist on. But, her decision to not work, cannot be unilateral. It needs to be a joint decision. Also, it is not something that can be decided years in advance. It depends on so many things - some current responsibilities might not be there, some new ones might get added.

Above all, don't make "he was honest to say it upfront" a factor in his favor. Such honesty is a requisite, not a bonus. You can be similarly honest with him, and tell him what you posted here.

12 people like this.
  5. vibha_81

vibha_81 Gold IL'ite

What does his sister-in-law do? How did he propose to handle the financial commitment? Is he going to pay half his salary to them and won't have any savings after running your house hold after the wedding and will he give you freedom to do what you want to do with your money? how much is he expecting you to contribute for the household? Is he expecting you to contribute to his bro's family in which case i would say be very cautious. Is he good at his job? Did you find out from someone in his office about it? If you really like that person find out all aspects of it and make sure you have studied every angle of this situation(if what circumstances since his bro is ill) before proceeding.

1 person likes this.
  6. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Did he say how much he would be willing to help his wife with house work and child care since he expects her to work life long ?If he is not thinking in those terms...he is asking for too much.

7 people like this.
  7. beingloved

beingloved Gold IL'ite

You should have clarified with him regarding the expenses rather than rejecting the match. In today's times, both partners need to work and lady can't take the privilege of working just for her own sake. If she demands equality in rights, then there is equality in responsibilities also..!!

If you want, then can talk to him and take it further. Rem no sibling can deny financial help if one needs it for health issues.

5 people like this.
  8. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

marriage is about two inviduals who come together to pull the rope of life together.if you expect him to be a man to take up responsibilities then his expectation of his would be wife to support him financially is also correct.maybe if the person is good and worthy to be with life long then this small compromise on working shouldn't be a big issue-this is jmo.having said that,there may arise situations when you need to quit job due to child birth or sickness etc,maybe you need to discuss such situations with him.

4 people like this.
  9. Quebec

Quebec Platinum IL'ite

Move on. . ....... . . .

No thinking straight........... Dont go by talks........

Think practically........ I know it is emotional relation but practical aspects are there to be seen.......

Best of luck....... May god help you to the right decision...........

God bless

take care
    chow

5 people like this.
  10. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

I am neither a woman nor married, so you may want to take my input with a bushel of salt!

Consider the following:
    The ball is now squarely in your court. This guy has been forthright with you about his expectations. If you go ahead with it, then future reassessment, renegotiation and readjustment of priorities will be difficult. He can always say "you knew all this when you married me" - the exact boundaries of "all this" cannot be defined with sufficient precision.

Some questions to ponder:
    (a) Does his SIL work?
    (b) How many nephews / nieces does he have to support? How old are they? For how long? At what level of expectation? Best schools in town, as their parents might want? Something less?
    (c) Is he their sole source of support? Or a part-thereof?
    (d) Do they all live under the same roof?
    (e) How many children would you want to have? What are your expectations for them?
    (f) What about old-age / retirement planning? For his parents, your parents, you?
    (g) How stable, upwardly mobile are you? How ambitious / driven career-wise? Do you expect to have reliable resources to stay on top of changes in your field (re-training, strategic career moves etc.)
    (h) Would you be expected to maintain the household in addition to being a financial provider? A traditional bahu scenario or a reliable division of labor?
    (I) I think this guy is a little unrealistic in maintaining financial commitments for charity work while expecting his wife to shoulder family burdens. The motive is laudable, but the mechanics & strategy are off. To me, this suggests an inability to make realistic calculations - what do you think?
    (J) Do you have resources to handle crises in your life? (finances, support).

In the United States, medical expenses are the single most frequent cause of bankruptcies. Furthermore, two simultaneous crises are often the cause of catastrophic hardship (e.g. job loss followed by major illness. Most health-insurance in the US is tied to employment). The existing obligations, to my mind, constitute one 'crisis'. How well prepared do you think you can be to handle an additional one?

It is perfectly reasonable that he should chip in to support his brother, especially through an illness that is no fault of his. I am only trying to understand the nature & extent of this commitment from your point of view. Don't forget, except for a few meetings and a heart that's aflutter, you are still an outsider who can walk away.

I think a relaxation of the stringent horoscope match criteria is in order. It appears as though you are willing, but not able to engineer that with your parents. Do you imagine that you would have greater capacity to influence the trajectory of family life if you were to marry this guy?

Try to think calmly. Do not let frustration drive the agenda. Do not take on more than you can handle.

16 people like this.