1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

marghazhi -solo music concert

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by sathya, Dec 19, 2006.

1. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

this is a translation of a story i wrote in tamil.. there's more feeling when one writes in ones own mother tongue but for more people to enjoy i guess eng is to stay..

solo music concert

``charu are u free to come to a solo music programme today''
    my brother called up to find out. my brother, my husband prakash and i love attending almost all music programmes be it yesudas, spb, bombay sisters, unnikrishnan, sudharaghunathan to name a few. what time is it ? i asked
    the time is slightly odd he said.. at three pm and i could get only two tickets.
    its not fair , prakash will feel bad being left out and i have to get permission from work'' i said
    this person is new and the hall is also very small i could get just two tickets ..he said
    ya ya if its cricket youll pay even five hundred to one thousand for a ticket but for a katcheri.. ok ok where do we meet?
    at his office he said
    i got permission from my manager and met him .he was ready with his bike
    charu we will just go home and collect a few files. i have work after the programme .he said
    i was also quite happy.. i said.`` ya i'll be happy to see mom while u collect the files''
    no no mom will be sleeping i dont think u should disturb her perhaps i'll drop u there after the programme he said.. i was feeling bad going all the way home but not meeting mom..
    he stopped the bike a couple of houses away and we walked to our house.. we quitely went over to the first floor
    he switched on the fan and went inside the bathroom.. took quite sometime coming out.. i was just wondering if i'll go down and peep in to see if mom is awake and perhaps have a word with her.. he came out of the bathroom and the speaker on the shelf ``came alive'' with music..
    songs that i have heard since early childhood came drifting in the air `wow' moms own melodious voice.. and inbetween words i could hear music from a keyboard.. i asked him who was playing the keyboard.. he replied that it was mom..
    thats great i thought.. mom was seventyfive.. she always had a postitive attitude towards life.. ask her anytime about her health she will reply im fine.. and about our problems.. she will say it will soon be alright or life has its ups and downs and u must accept it as they come..but to learn to use a keyboard all on her own.. thats really great i thought.. i didnt even know we had a keyboard at home!!
    an hour passed by melodiously
    my brother was all smiles.. he said.. ok charu i dont usually take money for tickets to programmes but this one is special so you have better give me a blank cheque '' he said. i hugged him and gave him a friendly pat.
    ok then how about a special cuppa ..he said
    we went down to meet mom.. she was slightly surprised .
    she had learnt it just recently.. what with eyes getting dim and theres no use watching tv all the time. this keyboard was a gift that was bought some time back to give to a friends kid but they shifted out of town before it was given.. so mom just hunted it down to learn but kept it a secret till she could really key it.. my brother had learnt about it just last week when he had a headache and came home to sleep it off.. he had confirmed the timing to bring me home ..
    we had the cuppa together with my mom who was delighted to have us for tea
    we decided to get her a brand new keyboard today.!!

sathya

Last edited: Dec 19, 2006

2. vidhi

vidhi Senior IL'ite

Dear Sathya

The story was nice. touching. You have expressed it well. Felt like a real incident.

regards
    vidhi

3. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello

am happy
    atleast
    a solo appreciation
    to a solo music concert
    guess i didn't write it for just a solo reply
    it was my mum's wish that she learn
    so just thought of it as a story...