1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Margazhi Maha Utsavam is here :-)

Discussion in 'TV' started by peartree, Dec 2, 2010.

1. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

It's here again! The time Carnatic Music enthusiasts world over wait for is here again :cheers

While nothing can equal the excitement of sabha hopping - from attending those valuable lec-dems at Music Academy in the morning, the free junior concerts in the afternoon and to culminate a perfect day with a ticketed concert of an established artiste in the evening, with some rava khichadi, kasi halwa and filter kaapi at the sabha canteens, we people living 1/2 a globe away have can only partake in the excitement virtually. Even the unrelenting Madras sun seems to take a break in December - such is the magic of Margazhi :cheers

Thanks to Jaya TV, we at least get a crumb out of the pie, with the Margazhi Maha Utsavam concerts being aired on TV. The concerts have already begun at the Chettinad School Auditorium and they are all thematic concerts feat. the who's who of Carnatic Music. These concerts will be telecast in the morning and evening from the 15th December onwards. The schedule is here -

Chennai December Season 2010: Jaya TV & Maximum Media's Margazhi Maha Utsavam - 2010

People who are fortunate enough to attend the concerts in person, we would be grateful for song lists, reviews, anything that would recreate the magic of attending a kutchery in person. For others like me, who miss being at Madras every December, talk away at this place :)

P.S. DNM - have started a thread as planned :thumbsup

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010

2. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

Peartree! Wow! You did it. I really look forward to MMU 2010. While all these years I was fortunate enough to attend atleast a couple of concerts every season, this year I too will join you in remaining satisfied with Jaya TV telecast. Since I commute long distance now on transfer and reach home not earlier than 7.30 p.m. every day. One season, I had the fortune of my question being selected in the question answer session and I got lots of musical CDs. Am a die hard fan of Aruna Sairam and Vishaka Hari really brings tears in my eyes in each of her musical discourses. Such is her involvement!

More than the season, I look forward to the isai mazhai we are going to have here through comments and reviews.

Good luck for this thread re!

3. sridevi101

sridevi101 Senior IL'ite

my BIL runs the MMU in jaya tv, enjoy!

4. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Wow Keerthana... please tell him what an awesome job he is doing :bowdown And being greedy, I have a request. Can you please ask him if it is possible to relay the entire concert instead of just the snippets of 1/2 hr and 1 hr.

Either way, just let him know they're doing a great job!

5. DNM

DNM Silver IL'ite

PT - Yay!!! Thanks for the schedule! Looooving it!

I feel like I am in madras already...the smell of jasmine flowers wilting in the heat, the jostling of silk sarees, the loudly whispered arguments about which ragam is being sung/played, the laughter, the cool a.c inside the auditorium, the lights that catch every twinkle of every diamond worn, and then the piece de resistance - the divine music....Sometimes it would feel like there was too much to see and hear. I miss that so very much! But we still have Jaya TV. Thank you, thank you, thank you Jaya TV.

Keerthana - Yes, I agree with PT. Kudos to your BIL and Jaya TV - However, please can we have some more???

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  6. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

Keerthana, I too have the same request. While there are so many channels showing all stage shows and what not for any length of time, why not Jaya TV which is upholding the culture and tradition of classical music in its own style, take efforts to broad cast the entire MMU contests instead of just 2 or 3 songs please.

7. sankarimaheswar

sankarimaheswar Senior IL'ite

Dear m5,

ungalai ellam paatha enakku poramaiya irukku. Naan satru doorathil irukken. But earlier, i had enjoiyed the concerts for many years when i was in image.
    Malls kalakkunga.

8. sridevi101

sridevi101 Senior IL'ite

people like you guys are very less.. majority of people like only serials with fights alll the time and people are not showing interest for classical music. TV channels are more commercial except the doordarshan channel. so the time allotment can be not more than this.. iif we educate our kids about classical music by making them learn, may be in our next generation, music concerts appear in TVs like movies.. its our duty to educate our kids.
    also, those who are in chennai, please attend the concerts in real. nothing can be interesting as watching them live.

9. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

That's true Keerthana. But I think compared to Sun TV and Kalaignar, Jaya TV is far better in program content. I think Jaya TV caters to a very exclusive audience! Even the Jaya TV serials that used to come earlier were of a reasonable standard - Sahana, Enge Brahmanan, Kadhai Neram etc. Of course, some stupid programs were also there, but I guess compared to the rest, it's better.

Either way, I think they're doing a great job by telecasting MMU and the Cleveland Aradhana. Only wish it could be extended for a little more time. And as you said, nothing like experiencing a concert live!

10. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

I dont have the TV subscription, but hopefully will be able to get a way to take a peek into MMU online.

Nice thread this, enjoying the posts silently. :thumbsup