1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

MARGAZHI KOLAMS - - Share Yours :-)

Discussion in 'Rangoli / Kolam' started by swaran, Dec 16, 2010.

1. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

thanks a lot latasundar for the wonderrful tip... :)

lovely kolams..thanks for sharing :)...very colourful :)

2. kottravai

kottravai Gold IL'ite

Hi Sabari,
    Thank you soooo much. :). All these are apartment kolams only. Thankfully, in my parent's apartment, whenever I draw rangoli (read Margazhi month until Pongal), our milkmen and paper-men are so gracious as to not disturb my kolams and they very carefully place the milk packets and newspapers on our doormat. In our place, it is not quite so as it is the ground floor. Anyways, I take a pic immediately after drawing so that the kolam is still fresh and undisturbed. In my parent's place, our neighbour, seeing my interest, lets me draw one big kolam during Pongal common to both our apartments. For Pongal, my mom and dad used to help me. My dad is a Rangoli artist and he'll spread colours so finely that we are no match for him. (Of course, he does take a lot of time to finish, he he he...). He was the one who taught me and my sister how to put colours properly and evenly. Needless to say, he is our best critic. This year, he was saying, "Now that you are married off and gone, who is going to put Rangoli in our apartment?". I consoled him by showing the pic of the Pongal panai's that I drew this year.

1 person likes this.
  3. kottravai

kottravai Gold IL'ite

Thank you so much, Swaran. As I mentioned in my reply to Sabari, its in my genes. Both my parents are good artists, and my dad, especially is a Rangoli artist.

The Umbrella kolam is a very old one, I copied it from my mom's diary. :) Few others, you might not have seen because I have this habit of doing 'ulta' - changing designs in existing kolams and all. Ha ha ha. This year's Pongal kolam is also an 'ulta' one - I thought of the design in the morning when waking up, tried it and put it. The conch kolam is one of my regulars every year.

We didn't win the competition. Our team was already winning most of the other competitions so in order to not discourage other teams, the kolam prizes were given to other teams. We took it in the festive spirit of sharing. But everyone appreciated our kolam a lot, and that mattered most to us. :).

4. Priesh

Priesh Platinum IL'ite

Kottaravi,
    Very Nice and neat kolams.

5. Priesh

Priesh Platinum IL'ite

Siri,
    Your kolams are looking good.

6. kottravai

kottravai Gold IL'ite

@Sabari and @Swaran,

Yesterday, I had edited the posts to add dots information. As IL was down yesterday, I couldn't update the details of the last few. Here are the details for the missing ones...

Pongal kolam: (6 pots)
    15-8 interlaced

Pongal kolam (Neli kolam)
    22 dots - 5 rows, decrease gradually upto 7 - straight
    Then, on top, 9 dots - 3 rows, then decrease gradually upto 3
    Bottom, for the aduppu - 7 - 1 row, rest of the dots as needed
    For the Sun, 7-3 interlaced.

1 person likes this.
  7. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

thats lovely to hear kotravai....great to know that your parents especially your appa is a rangoli expert...wow...
    and you have wonderful creativity i believe that you keep changing the designs i mean the ulta and they have come out so beautifully :-D
    thanks ....your update has got updated in your previous posts :-D

8. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

thanks priesh for liking my sikku kolam Bow

9. kottravai

kottravai Gold IL'ite

Thanks a lot, Priya. :)

10. ahilakaran

ahilakaran Silver IL'ite

Swaran... Try it out.. You can do it.. Waiting for free hand rangolis from you for the next margazhi..